Characters you think the 'new name' is better

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Suboptimal Optimus, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Burn it all down

Sometimes, a character gets a new name on packaging due to some legal issues and sometimes it isn't just 'Autobot Jazz' but flat out a new name, which can be derived from the old names (but tweaked a bit) or outright new. Sometimes I find those names to be better than the original, but what do you guys think? A good example of that is Flywheels being renamed to the more fitting Skythreads. Okay seriously why is he called 'Flywheels' when he doesn't have wheels? Or what about Doublecross into the much more metal name of Twinferno?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    Flywheels was a stupid name. Skytread is much better.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Burn it all down

Some way the Duocons name got swapped. It would explain a lot.

• Like Like x 3
  4. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    DotM Dino getting a third party toy named Firage...

• Like Like x 2
  5. caecae22

caecae22 Fifth Face of Darkness

Twitter:
    I believe a lot of people prefer Jetfire to Skyfire( I prefer Skyfire but pretty sure i'm in the minority), oher than that yeah Skytreads the only one I don't mind. Most of them where its just a misspelling of the original (Refraktor,Skrapnel) are horrible IMO would usually prefer they just add Autobot/Decepticon to the start or a completely new name.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Poncho

Poncho :/

Jetfire was actually his name from the start. His original toy went by that name, and so did all of his non-cartoon appearances.

7. caecae22

caecae22 Fifth Face of Darkness

Twitter:
    I believe he appeared in the cartoon before his toy was released and comic debut making it still a name change. But you're correct that Jetfire was always meant to be his name.Also he was still called Skyfire in Japan up until relatively recently, the 2010 Gentei figure was still called Skyfire, not sure if any others after that were though.

8. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

I'd like to second Skytread and Twinferno. Other than that, I got nothing.

9. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm going to join the chorus of Skytread and Twinferno, the former because it goes with his vehicle modes better and corrects the theorized name-swapping error, and the latter because it's easier to trademark and is metal as hell, as @Suboptimal Optimus pointed out.

• Like Like x 2
  10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Goldbug/Bumblebee - the former sounds more suited to an Autobot from Cybertron IMO, while the latter is more suited for a Maximal who is fitting into Earth.

• Like Like x 2
  11. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Nemesis Prime. Scourge was the shittiest name slap since Construction Team member Grimlock. Actually, I'd say it was worse.

• Like Like x 11
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I actually like Goldfire. I'm not entirely sure if they changed it for Trademark reasons or because he's no longer a VW Bug... but yeah, Goldbug has to be either a VW or an insect so Goldfire is more fitting when he transforms into a muscle car.

Also regarding the whole Jetfire/Skyfire thing... in my head canon they're two different characters. I mean this was literally the case in Transformers Energon where an Omnibot was a clear homage to Skyfire, oddly he actually had to be renamed Skyblast for trade mark reasons, in the same series where there was already a Jetfire.

I know that Generations has released a couple different figures where you could display him with his toy/comic look or his cartoon look which is nice but I feel like they're different enough to be two different guys.

[​IMG]
    Skyfire is the one with the face, Jetfire is the one with the battle mask and the flight boosters.

I also agree that Skytread is a better name than Flywheels for a character who has TREADS not WHEELS.

I will add that Silverstreak is a better name since he's never been "blue"... and for the longest time I thought there was a different character named Bluestreak who was actually a blue repaint of Silverstreak. I know what his name is suppose to mean but I feel like that slang was outdated even in the 80's when he was first released because I've never heard anyone use it outside of the explanation of the name on the toy bio. Just call him Silverstreak or actually paint him blue!

• Like Like x 3
  13. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    "Talk a blue streak."

The term is what gave him his name, and is also the basis for his characterization. Him being blue or silver is irrelevant.

• Like Like x 3
  14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Dude, two things...

1. Learn how to use quotes.

You didn't even include the part of my post that's relevant to your response.

I'm talking about Goldbug/Goldfire and Jetfire/Skyfire. If that's the section you're going to quote, that's the section you should be responding to.

If you're going to respond to the Bluestreak/Silverstreak portion of my post then you need to actually include that part in the quote you're using.

2. Learn how to read.

I know what I means, I literally said that in my original post had you bothered to actually read it. It's an outdated term that was already outdated back in the 80's. I've never heard a single person use it outside of his own toy bio. It doesn't perfectly describe him at all due to this fact that you have to explain what the hell it's suppose to mean and it still doesn't make any sense. Him being blue or silver is all that actually matters cause no one gives a crap what the hell "Talking a blue streak" is suppose to mean.

For that matter... I'll add to this by saying that Blurr is the one who talks fast and he's actually blue so "Bluestreak" would actually fit him a lot better. In fact it would have a double meaning because a blue blur could also be described as a blue streak and it would be a way of describing how he moves without getting him confused with Sonic the Hedgehog. It's weird that the name describes a totally different character but doesn't even remotely apply to the character it actually belongs to.

His name should be Silverstreak.

15. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    Two things:

You are the one who needs to learn how to read and how to use quotes. Had you had the mental acuity of my 7 year old you would have seen the part of the quote that says "click here to expand", which shows that I did indeed quote the idiotice Bluestreak part. My phone isn't as user friendly with copy paste as a comp, and I wrongfully assumed you had more of an attention span than a common gnat and would be situationally aware enough to scroll down the quote. I do apologize for giving you far too much credit.

Second, your opinion of the antiquated nature of the term is irrelevant. Budianski named the character for the term as well as the blue toy sample he had. Hasbro's decision to change the toy color does not change the nature of how the character was named, nor does your indifference towards colloquialisms.

Oh, and Blackout isn't black. Ruined forever apparently...

• Like Like x 5
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    He does, they're in his treads.

But of course their names were obviously swapped. "Battletrap" certainly sounds more like a name befitting the character with military alt modes. I'm fine with Skytread, though.

"Nemesis Prime" might as well just be "Bad Guy Optimus."

Scourge is a cool name that fits, well, anybody who's a scourge on anyone, which he was as he almost took over as the main villain when he tried to steal Fort Max. Scourge is too unique an iteration to use the basic-ass "Nemesis" moniker. He was more substantial a character than the G1 goon.

Basically my view is that Nemesis Prime is for mindless one-off clones, Scourge is the RID character.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly this. Even Japan recognizes him for the very same reason despite sharing the "Black Convoy" name label.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Silver streak is a good update, I'm no fan of Goldfire though.

19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

There is no "Click here to expand"... not in your posts anyway... I am aware that normally gets put there with longer posts, it simply isn't an option which is a clear indicator that you simply cut that section out when you quoted me.

Oh and the grade school insults... how mature.

No it's not.

Which is irrelevant since we're talking about the silver one.

It should since he was named BLUEstreak and the character was not in any way shape or form BLUE.

Blackout is actually a commonly used expression for a power outage and given the character is armed with an EMP causing a massive power outage the name still works.

Bluestreak is an outdated term that doesn't freaking mean anything cause no one uses it that way. Even if it actually meant something again... it would apply to Blurr, the character who ACTUALLY talks fast not Bluestreak. So it fails to describe the character in any meaningful way. And that's twice you haven't actually read a freaking thing you're responding to.

You know what... my issue isn't about clicking "Click to Expand" to show the rest of a quote that isn't there... it's about making the mistake of clicking that "Click to show ignored content" button. Why is that button even there? Other than to remind why I ignored you when I click on it?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

You believe incorrectly

although toy release Dates differ between markets , as do air dates for episodes, I bought my Jetfire toy on the Black Friday just before “fire in the sky” aired for the first time at TSS (Times Square stores)

A good number of the 85 figures were released in the late 84 places like service merchandise and consumers.....