Characters That Need Some CHUG Rep

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GoldbugTM2, Oct 3, 2016.

1. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

Looking back at the proverbial Transformers history books I've come to realize that there are some characters that have really been under represented in toy form. This thread will look at some that could really use a new toy. All corners of the Transformers multiverse are fair game here.

NOTE: One of the first things that will come to mind here are the 13 Primes, (however you wish to compile your list of 13), I've already covered them in another thread, which you can check out here:
    Toy Thread Of The Primes

Perceptor: A great G1 character that has seen very few incarnations. He's only had the original G1 toy and its rerelease. There's also a couple Perceptor toys that have him transform into a truck, and only one of these is even worth discussing. Much like when they did the same with Soundwave, making him a truck is just lazy. Perceptor was also brought back for a small role in Transformers Animated, but he never got a toy for that version.

Reflector: I always thought it was an interesting concept having an alt-mode formed from 3 bots. Sadly, Reflector has only been in toy form a couple of times. The only ones worth noting have ALWAYS been released as either mail-order only or other super limited release methods. Reflector really needs a proper mainstream release.

Savage Noble: A fascinating character and very interesting concept from Beast Machines. He has only ever had one toy, and only a standard deluxe figure. It's not a bad toy, but I think there's a lot to explore with the concept of this character--enough to warrant a voyager or leader class. I kind of picture some kind of quad-mode transformer to represent both his Noble identity as well as
    his Megatron identity.

G1 Predaking: I bring up Predaking for a very specific reason. The original G1 toy(s) are infamous as being one of the most sought after Transformers toys, and one of the highest priced in aftermarket. Hasbro has recently done a reissue of Predaking, but as a Platinum Edition, and thus somewhat limited. Can we please have a Predaking combiner with a normal release, (doesn't even have to be a straight re-issue), and end this madness?

Side Burn: Originally created for the original RiD cartoon, he has since been integrated into the G1 universe. Outside of his RiD toy, (and its several repaints), his only remotely G1-esque toy was just a repaint of Hot Rod. Side Burn is way overdue for a new figure that is NOT a repaint.

Tidal Wave: From the Unicron Trilogy, (but not in Cybertron.) He's a huge Aircraft carrier! He's only ever had one toy! (Two if you count Energon Mirage, but how is a boat an upgrade from a slagging aircraft carrier?) Considering all the clones & repaints that clutter the Decepticon ranks over the years, Hasbro really should do something with this character.

Raiden/Sixtrain/Rail Racer: From G1 Headmasters, to the original RiD, to whatever other corners of the Transformers multiverse, we've not seen much of the train combiner. The original toy came from the Diaclones much like Devastator, but we never actually got the G1 toy(s). We got the KB micro version, (the one KB combiner I failed to collect), and the Rail Racer 3-train combiner from the original RiD. Definitely one of the more interesting combiners, and outside the micro version typically doesn't require a lot of kibble to combine. I'm surprised this wasn't included in Combiner Wars. Haven't we been deprived enough Hasbro?

There are certainly other characters to explore, but I'll break here and let you guys come up with some!

2. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Percy has already had a CHUG toy has he not? Regardless, he's getting some TR love in a future wave if rumours are to be believed. Same with Armada Tidal Wave.

As for Sideburn, I think I'd rather he was just a Hot Rod repaint, as the original toy was a really awkward shellformer.

3. GoldbugTM2

I have the original toy. There are some aspects I like, but it is a bit cumbersome. They can do a better transformation in a new toy without resorting to repainting Hot Rod though.

4. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Brawn, Beachcomber, Hubcap, Outback, Reflector, Omega Supreme, The Omnibots, the Minispies, Any Dinobot not named Grimlock, The Firecons and Sparkbots, Grotusque and Repugnus, Barrage, Venom, Ransack, a proper g1 Shockwave, Ratbat, Slugfest, Squalkbox, SlamDance, Noise, Graphy Dial, Zaur, Steeljaw, Minerva, Raiden, Predaking Abominus, Piranacon, Monstructor, dinoking,

• Like Like x 3
  5. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Reflector is high on my list. Didn't get the club version, and have the PE version.
    Looks like we are getting more love from the rumors, but anything 1988-89 from G1. Targetmasters, Triggerbots (sadly passed on the club sub), and sparkbots. Would love seeing some throttlebot love as well, always thought those would have worked well in the former Scout class.

6. beularnum8

beularnum8 Well-Known Member

There's clearly still plenty of characters still to go, but my personal preference has to be towards the G1 guys we've not had yet (or CHUG's in need of upgrading!)

Very happy we are getting a new Perceptor. There's something about the Reveal the shield toy , i just can't make friends with it. Hopefully the Titans line will give us our much needed Sureshot, Pointblank, Crosshairs, Misfire and Slugslinger to go with Triggerhappy. Very intrigued to see what sort of alt modes they would go for. Energon Slugslinger was a pretty cool toy so something on those lines would sit well with me!

I also think as well as the recent debated BW era, that some Unicron Trilogy characters would be nice to have around. Hot Shot, Starscream and Megatron have their updates, it would be very nice to have the likes of Cyclonus, Demolishor and Snow Cat. Unless i'm missing anything from obscure lines, no other unicron era toys have had updates have they?

7. Primacron

Primacron Well-Known Member

Scorponok and the Dinobots.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I'm going to go broad here:
    Beachcomber - I think we need a solid deluxe of everyone's favorite robot hippie.
    Snowcat - The best GI Joe/TF Crossover figure, it deserves a second shot.
    Evac - One of my favorite molds from Cybertron, I would like to see him done well. I would also love a Scattershot/Backpack.
    Barricade - I'd like to see him given the Generations treatment, with a very threatening, but less monstrous look.
    X-Brawn - I love all of the Car Robots asymmetrical molds (much more now than I did then). Maybe we can get a second crack at them with modern engineering.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I think we need a new Ironhide/Ratchet mold

Anyway these are who I want in the CHUG lineup...
    1984 - Brawn, Bumper, Hauler, Rumble(Frenzy), Reflector, & Air Warriors(Yay for Generic Seekers!)
    1985 - Beachcomber, Seaspray, Topspin, Twin Twist, Ariel, Firestar, Elita One, Lancer, Greenlight, Moonracer, Autoscout, Alligaticon, Giant Purple Griffin, Ransack, Venom, Barrage, the Powerdashers, the Omnibots, the Dinobots, Omega Supreme, & Shockwave
    1986 - Rodimus Prime, Broadside, Hubcap, Outback, Beta, Steeljaw, Ramhorn, Predaking, & more Junkions!
    1987 - Throttlebots, Autobot Clones, Decepticon Clones, Grotusque, Repugnus, Pointblank, Sureshot, Crosshairs, Abominus, Apeface, Snapdragon, Misfire, Slugslinger, Slugfest, Overkill, Flywheels
    1988 - Sparkabots, Triggerbots, Slamdance, Siren, Hosehead, Landfill, Quickmix, Slapdash, Joyride, Pretenders, Firecons, Crankcase, Piranacon, Squawkbox, Quake, Horri-Bull, Fangry, Squeezeplay, Dreadwind, Darkwing
    1989 - Pincher, Longtooth, Doubleheader, Octopunch, Stranglehold, Roadblock, Vroom, Skyhammer, Monstructor, & Micromasters (Minus Big Daddy, Dropshot, Countdown, & Blackjack)
    1990 - Rad, Rollout, Jackpot, Mainframe, Skyfall, Over Run, Sprocket, Axer, & Gutcruncher

Diaclone - Loud Pedal, Exhaust, Red Mirage, Red Sunstreaker, Police Sunstreaker, Delta Magnus, Black Ironhide, Devastator, Overcharge, Clamp Down, Tiger Tracks, & Deep Cover

Europe Exclusives - Turbomasters, Hyperdrive, Predators, Power Master Ironhide, Staxx, Deftwing, Ironfist, Circuit, Rumbler, & Powerflash

Japanese Exclusives - Minerva, Metalhawk, Godbomber, Sixknight, Greatshot, Landcross, Dinoking, Raiden, Blue Bacchus, Lyzack, Jallguar, Esmeral, Road Caesar, Twincast, Soundblaster, Galaxy Shuttle, Star Saber, Deathsaurus, Sky Garry, Grandus, Star Convoy, Victory Leo, Sonic Bomber, & Dai Atlas

Comic Only - Vibes, Oil Slick, Red Wing, Skater, Rook(the G2 guy), Emirate Xaaron, Macabre, Wheezel, Nautica, Rung, Riptide, Atomizer, & Rook(the Windcharger repaint)

G2 - Devastator, the Minibots, Sideswipe, Jolt, Sizzle, Volt, the Cyberjets, the Gobots, Dirtbag, Defensor, Smokescreen, Skram, Turbofire, Windbreaker, Afterburner, Eagle Eye, Terradive, Windrazor, Road Rocket, & Road Pig

BW - Airazor, Tigatron, a better Cheetor, Optimus Primal, Megatron, Tarantulas, Terrorsaur, Depth Charge, Rampage, Quickstrike, Inferno, Silverbolt, maybe some non-show characters?

BM - Nightscream, Thrust, Jetstorm, Silverbolt, Cheetor, & Rattrap

RID - Ruination, Optimus Prime, Bludgeon, Spychangers, & Ultra Magnus

Armada - Scavenger, Demolishor, Cyclonus, Wheeljack, Galvatron, Red Alert, Smokescreen, Tidal Wave, Red & Yellow Hot Shot, Sideways, Side Swipe, & Blurr

Glyph, Tap Out, Roulette, Shadow Striker, Carrera, Volks, Sedan, & Paddles

Movie Barricade, Blackout, Animated Lockdown, Bulkhead, & WFC Zeta Prime

The Fallen, Vector Prime, Solus Prime, Nexus Prime, Liege Maximo, Micronus Prime, Alchemist Prime, & Onyx Prime

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Flywheels!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Masktique

Masktique #1 Sideways Fan

News Credits:
    Reflector, Dinobots, Punch/Counterpunch, Armada Sideways

12. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    I love where the Generations Mainline has been going since CW/TR so hope the later years cast get cleaned up naturally as they progress TR. but:

Dinobots.
    BW Dinobot (Voyager)
    Omnibots
    Throttlebots
    Targetmasters.
    IDW Scavengers
    Duobots
    Clones
    Counterpunch.
    Barricade as an actual Generations Carbot. A Lockdown that doesn't look like a reheated movie/animated design.

Seconded on Deluxes for Beachcomber, Gears, Huffer/Pipes, Percy, and Brawn.

And while we are wishing: CW Bluestreak, Ratchet and Sideswipe to get mainline releases.

13. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I need a Divebomb and a Swoop so I can recreate their G1 fight over the name 'Divebomb'.

And yes, as you all seem to agreed with, I think Hasbro were off their fcken nut not releasing a Predaking in CW (although at least that avoided them copping out and making them all car and plane reprints). With the Predacons you could reenact the story 'Hunted!' with Op. I got that story in a summer special when I was a kid and it's tied to pretty happy memories of being on holiday with my family.

14. GoldbugTM2

You know, Sideways crossed my mind as well. I do have the Armada toy. There apparently was another toy that I missed out on that made him a jet. In any case, there have been several characters/figures over the years that had the gimmick of being able to switch between Autobot & Decepticon. Hasbro has never done a great deal with any of them. I don't know if I'd go as far as suggesting a combiner, but compiling these characters into a spy team could be interesting.

15. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

While I agree that G1 Predaking needs an update, the reasoning (Platinum edition is hard to find) is just... false. It's been available at Amazon for under $100 shipped since it's come out.

16. GoldbugTM2

Are you really counting $99.99 as under 100? o_O  Ok, he's not nearly as hard to find (or as expensive) as his G1 counterpart, but "Platinum Edition" is by definition a limited release. It just happens to be still available. Sadly this might deter Hasbro from doing a more mainline Predaking release. :( 

17. Chronix

Chronix Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime, Megatron, Soundwave, Shockwave and the Seekers would be cool.

18. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Well, prices have varied, it's been as low as $50, but it's never been above $100... I just think "limited release" is very misleading since it's been easier to get for longer than most figures.

Which may be the problem, if he's still going for retail for years, Hasbro may not think a new version will sell.

19. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I like the idea of an updated Savage/Noble figure as I am a Beast Machines fan. Other characters I think need some proper recognition would be Reflector, Shockwave, Cheetor, Optimus Primal, Beast Wars Megatron, and RID Scourge/Nemesis Prime.

20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

WTF is a chug?

Either way, the answer is Dinobots.