Character development concerns

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by The Matrix, May 22, 2009.

1. The Matrix

The Matrix The Blue Glowing Thing

I've been browsing this section of the boards at least once a week, and noticed how nobody (unless I missed it) has brought up the concern of character development of the Transformers themselves in the upcoming movie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the main complaints of the previous film was the lack thereof, and many of us fans were hoping Michael Bay would explore more of that aspect in the sequel.

So here's something to think about:

How will Michael Bay be able to develop these characters well enough if there are approx. 40-50 (?) Transformers roaming around?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not everybody in a movie is a main character, lots of Decepticons will be just fighters without significant lines, hell they're even adding Constructicon repaints such as a red Rampage to fill in the robot ranks in the movie.

3. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

im concerned that Arcee who has a massive fanbase will end up like Brawl and be "another dead infantry"

4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I think most have accepted the fact that transformer character development isn't really a concern for MB and Hasbro. In the cartoons, the series revolve a group of transforming robots as they interact with human characters. In the live action films, the series revolve around human characters as they interact with transforming robots. The change in focus is understandable given the costs and limitations of live action. Ultimately, it is a trade off that most have learned to live with but don't like to acknowledge... hence the lack of character development discussion.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Um, I'm just not sure how much character Micheal Bay will put into any characters robot or human. He's got several movies under his belt and they really aren't known for having much character in the heroes and the villains might as well just be card board cutouts for all the personality they have. So the track record doesn't look good.

Kind of makes it a double strike for me because the look just isn't appealing to me. Throw in the lack of character and the characters just don't do anything for me at all. I mean Waspinator was butt ugly but he had personality to make up for his looks. The movies though haven't been showing that same level of personality that would make me over come the look.

To find character for the robots we may have to look somewhere other than the films themselves.

6. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

This. As long as they flesh out Prime, Megatron and BB (pardon the non sequitur) the mission can be declared accomplished.

Not sure how "massive" her fanbase is. I, for one, would love to see her demise.

I think you presume too much about Bay and Hasbro's concern about TF character development. There's a time and a place for such things. I don't think TF1 as the introductory piece would have been the best forum for delving into the character of giant alien shape-shifting robots. Rightly, the focus with that film was to get the audience to accept the concept, which - as I find it necessary to remind TransFans - is absurd. From there they can choose a few robots to "flesh out", but they will have to do so carefully, otherwise the buy-in they achieved with the first movie will be lost. Remember, TranFans are sold on the concept. The general audience still has some growing to do.

You are correct! Here, have a cupcake.