Character designs that just don’t do it for you.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BattleGurijiba, Mar 2, 2021.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Gobots did it better. At this point I'm starting to think Gobots did pretty much everything pertaining to female bots better and we got stuck with the lesser of the two franchises in that respect...

As far as designs go that I couldn't get into? RID X-Brawn was awful. Could have been great but the kibble usage was absolutely daft and I blame the BW design philosophy at the time for that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus Primal, him having a mouth over what should be his faceplate feels weird as hell. Why can't they just make his faceplate detractable?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't entirely blame Hasbro for Cade's G1 look. It was a really popular peace of Guido's artwork that got the ball rolling. I just wish they had kept the little facial hair/chin patch Guido added.

As for the Stunicons yeah that sucked a bit for me too. But to be really un popular I wish at least one of the 3P MP toys kept the arm cars as solid peace's that connected to the shoulders rather then having them split.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 You clearly don’t own a construct bot

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I would also like to say

Rid15 sideswipe A991C88A-6E54-4236-B63D-4EFE690C60F2.jpeg his hair was a mistake 2B21F20F-C07A-4558-BFF9-54CF2A29FA7E.jpeg 4CAB7EAE-307E-4D38-B53D-479C3DBFC5E9.jpeg do I need to say more?

• Like Like x 10
  5. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, Nightscream... the ugliest of the uggos. And yeah, the Beast Machines Maximals looked terrible.

• Like Like x 3
  6. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of think of ones that haven't already been mentioned, but alot of the ones I don't like were already covered. Ah well, guess I'll just follow suit. ^^;

Movie Constructicons were legitimately boring to me. I actually like & can bear with some designs from those 5 films but not these guys, not at all.

Quite a few Beast Wars designs just don't do it for me either. In fact most of them I don't like. The only one that gets a pass from me is actually Waspinator. He doesn't feel like a cheap "There's another head under this animal's head" deal. Like his robot mode face fits with the rest of his beast mode design. Maybe I'm missing some others but he's the only one I can really tolerate.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JustAnotherCassette

JustAnotherCassette Lurker no more

Transformers as Funko Pops. Well, Funko Pops in general really, I just don’t see the appeal — I think they look creepy and not remotely cute at all, but it seems most of the world wouldn’t agree with me judging from their popularity

• Like Like x 11
  8. Magnus Leader

Magnus Leader Young Optimus Prime is the Best Optimus Prime.

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I agree with ya.

Why settle for bobblehead funko pops when you could get some solid action figures instead?

(Looking at you, Avatar: The Last Airbender. You're a great show, but Nick seriously needs to get you better merchandising.)

• Like Like x 2
  9. grindcore138

grindcore138 桐生会は不滅なり!

News Credits:
    Sunbow Menasor is, without question, the absolute worst Transformers design, a big stinky poo, anyone who actually likes it is in desperate need of psychological intervention.

I greatly dislike Smokescreen's Sunbow no-chin-no-neck head design, it is rubbish.
    [​IMG]

I think you're misreading Primal's head design. He has a retractable faceplate but the retractable part only covers his mouth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  10. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I totally forgot about this design and how much it bugs me. Why does he have no neck?

• Like Like x 5
  11. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Awaiting Legacy Armada Side-Swipe to be a thing

News Credits:
    Maybe it's just me, but I could never find myself liking how most of the mid to late IDW2005 designs looks, with some examples such as MTMTE/LL Rodimus/Hot Rod, Metalhawk and the "Maximals" being some of the more notable offenders.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

People usually rants about the AOE/TLK movie designs and mentions how they didn't look like designs that could plausibly transform, but I could argue that some of the IDW design that I listed here was equally as bad in that regard.

As standalone humanoid mecha designs, I don't think it's actually that bad and it does look kinda nice at first glance, but as Transformers? I just find these designs have so much going on with the countless spikes, curves, lines, colours, sharp angles everywhere that everything just clashes bizarrely, aesthetic-wise.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  12. BattleGurijiba

BattleGurijiba One Radical Dudicus

I’m okay with the hair on Sideswipe, (but only on that specific one) but I think KRE-O did it better with a helmet instead.

upload_2021-3-3_9-47-7.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-3_9-47-44.png

Idk. One of these probably would look good on him, or possibly something like Energon Sharkticon. (that’s a really good design)

Yeah it is kinda lame that the MTMTE guys all turn into pretty much a ball with TRON wheels (and an aggressive front) for vehicle mode.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

All Beast Machines Maximals. I liked BW designs, I couldn't even keep watching BM because of how the cast looked.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Lola

Lola Soap

Yeah that bothered me alot. I really dislike how everyone seems to have the same height.
    Deviantart has found it's place in the Transformers fandom.

• Like Like x 1
  15. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Some of the obvious. A lot of Beast Machines. The old crossover figures were genuinely terrible (Star Wars and Marvel).

Animated, Rescue Bots, and Cyberverse. I know their geared to a younger audience I don't find it personally offensive and I don't think they hurt the brand or anything. I am just not interested in them in the least.

Most of the designs from Prime and nuRID are terrible. Soundwave looks like origami. Starscream is made of spikes. And so on.

The Sunbow designs. I grew up loving the cartoon and still have nostalgia for it but it's dated as Hell and designs go from bad to the worst. Titan Scorpinok being so toon accurate that he looks more autistic then menacing seems like the apex of this aesthetic. Masterpiece figures being ridiculously complex all to look like a dated cartoon at above premium price point is another example. Designs that work so hard to look so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lola

Lola Soap

Well I can continue my list.
    adding

I'm not so fond of the Evergreen designs. Some look good but most of them really are'nt my cup of tea.
    Also most of the phase 2 IDW designs look like they were never meant to transform.
    G2 had some weird designs.

looking at my list it seem like I like no generation at all...

17. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

I am enraged. :lol :banghead: 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

there was literally a thread about good bayverse designs like a month ago, though?

19. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 DYNAZENON! BATTLE GO!

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I don't mind big eyes, but I don't really like the fembots' exaggerated lips and the overall designs are sorta childish.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

g1 arcee looks ugly as hell

• Like Like x 2