Character designs that just don’t do it for you.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BattleGurijiba, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I like DOTM Que's overall design okay, it looks like a scientist carrying a bunch of stuff around, but yeah, that head just looks weird. He looks friendly but I can't visually process the mouth and mustache. The same also goes for designs like Starscream's not-mouth.

TFP Optimus Prime had a pretty awful design that looked like it was trying to ape Animated's proportions but with little love to the design in the process. That said, credit where credit is due, I actually do like the look of that First Edition Prime toy if just for how great it looked in terms of show accuracy. I prefer his Beast Hunters form as that actually sorta stands on its own as an Optimus design, at least moreso than the Seasons 1-2 design, which I always thought looked okay on Magnus, strangely enough.

I don't like the general design philosophy of RID'15 where everyone has Bumblebee's face and TFP Shockwave's chest window. And Jazz in this series is easily the worst incarnation I've seen of the character to date. Some designs are okay like Grimlock's chunky dinosaur design and Strongarm's also chunky, boxy design. And Steeljaw looks okay, if he had been the only one with that Shockwave chest window I would've been cool.

High Moon I want to point out because of how human everyone's proportions are. Like Shockwave has this really great design that would look great in a stylized art style like Animated or something by Josh Burcham and Alex Milne, but all the High Moon characters look and move like normal humans and people with the exception of the big guys like Grimlock and Warpath. Everyone seems to be designed or animated too human-like.

From Beast Wars, while they're not bad designs by any means, I never really cared too much for TM II Cheetor or Blackarachnia.

Bay Lockdown is certainly unique, but I do regret that we couldn't have gotten either the ROTF design on screen or at least something closer to a middle ground between what we got and the more faithful Animated design. His design being tweaked for Hot Rod was not that good, though I liked the sharp dark blue beetle color mixed with orange Hot Rod had. If the character had been wholly original in name and not a nameslap of Hot Rod, I'd be a bit more forgiving.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lola

Lola Soap

Prime kind of looks like a mix of animated and movie style. Not an opinion just an observation.
    I want to add something here, but I already called out every single TF media that there's nothing left to say.