Character arcs that don't go anywhere.

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

First there was Breakdown who had a few episodes that made me think he could switch sides and become an Autobot but nope he got killed.

Then there's Dreadwing. This one is much worse because when he was first introduced he almost had the same relationship with Wheeljack as Rampage had with Depth Charge. However unlike Depth Charge and Rampage who had a few episode together before they both died in battle together Wheeljack and Dreadwing never did anything past their first episode together. I almost forgot that story arc had ever been started to begin with. And Wheeljack was only staying on Earth so that he could kill Dreadwing so what's he going to do now that Dreadwing is already dead? Assuming that Wheeljack is even still alive.

Roberto and Alex I think are really bad at writing characters. They wrote the movies and they're producing Prime and both have serious issues with killing off characters before they can even be developed. They have character arcs that simply don't go anywhere because either the character dies or gets reset back to the status quo without ever learning or growing from their past experiences. It's just really bad sloppy writing. It's almost as if they had these ideas to do something good but then change their mind and go in a totally different direction with it. Like it's a reboot within itself except instead of starting over they go from where they they left off in the new rebooted direction. If that even makes any sense. If you're taking the idea of the reboot literally then it defiantly doesn't make any sense. If you're not taking it literally and you still don't get it then I think I need a better way to phrase that.

2. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Maybe they should take notes what happened with their characters and what they were about to do with them. Maybe they just forget about that all.

3. Bladewind

Bladewind Well-Known Member

I don't like to point fingers at the writers until after the series concludes. It’s after then that we generally start to get some insights into what went on behind the scenes- like which actors weren’t going to be available anymore and what kind of insane mandates they might have been labouring under.

What happened with Breakdown genuinely shocked me but after that the fates of Silas and Dreadwing were pretty predictable by comparison. I also like how I was genuinely worried for Knockout's survival in the last few episodes and I really wish they could create similar tension with the Autobots (I'm pretty sure they wanted to kill Bulkhead but Hasbro wouldn't let them).

4. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    Lets see...

Dreadwing
    Silas
    Unicron
    Orion Pax
    Breakdown

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    This again? Wah.

6. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

They got left off...

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is one of the largest problems with the show.

8. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

Swear we have already had a thread like this somewhere.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'd rather have a reason to why they struggled with this whole thing during Season 2. I mean the writers themselves like Marty Isenberg who wrote few episodes this season is a great writer yet this happened....I'd like some answers. I'm thinking it was because of the whole let's merge season 2 and 3 together so we can do Beast hunters next year?

10. Rewire

Rewire Whiskey Grimlock

Writing compression will do this to a series--writing compression ALWAYS does this to a series. When you opt to merge what are supposed to be two seasons worth of stuff into a single season, a lot of sacrifices will always get made. I think that in Prime, there were certainly scenarios where they opted to make the wrong sacrifices, but in this scenario there are always going to be 'casualties'.

That said, some things--like the Orion Pax episodes--were still significantly more of a 'character arc' dead end than they needed to be for the time that WAS spent on them.

11. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

Every?

12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

There have been topics dedicated to individual characters before but this is happening so much now that I thought we should have a single topic to discuss them all in the same place instead of having a new thread for every character arc that never goes anywhere.

Though that being said I don't particularly agree with most people's opinions on the Orion Pax story arc. That's just about the only story arc in the show that actually did go some where even if it wasn't very interesting it at least made a full arc rather than stopping half way by the death of a character. Breakdown was having doubts after the Autobots saved him when his own team left him to die but because of his death that whole story arc never came to an end. Wheeljack and Dreadwing had an arc together because of Dreadwing killing Sea Spray but because of his death and the fact that they only had one episode together that arc not only will never end but will never even get off the ground. I'd much prefer a really boring predictable story arc than one that never goes anywhere at all.

I could also list off Starscream but he's still alive so I wanna see where they go with him before I call him a lost cause.

13. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Arcee doesn't really seem to go anywhere in terms of development. You think she learns some kind of lesson one episode, and then the next you'd think she's forgotten what had happened, and what she'd supposedly learned.

14. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What do you mean they didn't go anywhere? The characters developed. The show moved on. What more do you want?

15. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    What do we want? A satisfying conclusion to their arcs? Or, a conclusion at all? That's not exactly too much to ask for.
    And no, they didn't go anywhere. If you think Breakdown's and Dreadwing's arcs went somewhere then you are clearly watching a different show. They had arcs set up for them that were left unfinished because they were unceremoniously killed off, which is a very weak writing technique.

16. AngryChad

News Credits:
    They showed up, they were in some shows, they died. I'd say that's pretty conclusive. Did you want them to have more screen time? I'm just really not understanding the complaints here, as they're pretty vague. Maybe if you could be more specific.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Which is all of course, your opinion. I had no problem with their demises.

18. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Read the first post. The arcs that were left unfinished are explained there (although I have no idea how you could have missed them). The writers clearly had ideas for where Breakdown and Dreadwings stories would go, but for some reason they ended up killing them off rather then going through with their arcs. Both characters clearly had the beginnings of what could have been great stories, but we'll never know what could've happened.

The fact that they had arcs that were dropped is not an opinion; it did happen. Doesn't matter if you're personally OK with that, doesn't stop it from being true because they were set up and they were dropped upon their death. I guess the fact that I think that's absolutely crap that they did that is an opinion, but it's not arguable wether or not it happened.

19. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Add Nemesis Prime to the list. All that build-up for, what, one episode?

20. AngryChad

News Credits:
    Already read it. Still confused about the complaints. The closest thing to a specific complaint is that Dreadwing/Wheeljack isn't enough like Beastwars. The rest is just "not developed enough" or "died too soon", which I don't get. In both instances the characters were introduced, had varying levels of growth or development, and died. It sounds like maybe you just wanted those characters to be around longer?