Customs: Changing FE Prime into Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Arashistorm, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, I have no experience whatever with 3-D Printing or where to start, nor do I have one, but ever since I saw Magnus on transformers Prime, I've had the idea to convert FE Prime into that model. The painting would be easy, but pointless without the necessary additions.

Anyways, the FE Prime would need added shoulders, I figured something that could just slide over the top part of his shoulders, or have a rounded piece that could clip into the opening in his shoulder meant to secure the truck sides in truck mode.

On top of that, he would need a new chest piece, but one that clips over the already existing one would work just fine. For transformation, the pieces would be removable, with the shoulders having 5mm pegs so that they can store on the back of the truck in vehicle mode and the chest piece can either be tossed aside for this mode, or just rest against the back of the cab.

So...any ideas or 3-D printer experts that wouldn't mind tackling an idea like this? If I'm being clear enough that is...

A PM would be cool so we can talk about it =D

[​IMG]

2. Incedius

Incedius Well-Known Member

hope you don't mind me being blunt but what's the point of doing this?

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a huge challenge in that the transformation between RID Prime and FE Prime is very different.

FE Prime's shoulders end up underneath towards the front of the truck and RID's end up in the cab. FE's top truck cab roof is actually on his leg.

BUT if you are OK with removable parts, just remove UM's shoulder parts and either use 5mm peg/hole or a PCC combiner port to make the male/female port. Or it may be able to connect on it's own. It will probably be unsightly without the shoulders attached, but that's sorta inevitable.

The chest window is a piece of cake as it is already a false chest. Just copy UM's with styrene, or continue to tear into UM and do a neat slice down the middle with a good saw.

You can go the shapeways route if you like, but that's going to be pricey and not as durable. The chest part would probably be ok, but since you have no 3D modeling experience, that might be moot anyway. Making parts that fit together takes a bit of testing/revising/patience, and I think you can get the same result with existing parts.

Good luck.

4. Arashistorm

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus in show is just prime's model, making the BH Magnus out of scale when put in a group. I'd find it fun to custom a FE prime into Magnus and it'd be better off for someone like me who wants a Magnus that feels better and doesn't look off (pea head, short height, no proper cannons, etc)

5. Arashistorm

News Credits:
    A friend of mine attempted using the existing parts to mish mash one but it still comes off kind of off. Adding parts made for the idea of the custom would be best, but guess it all falls flat since there's no experience with 3-D printing.

6. Incedius

Incedius Well-Known Member

i just feel that the amount of work required to do this isn't justified when the BH magnus mold is already a pretty decent representation of the character. that said, if it's for fun then don't let anyone, including me, stop you since fun is the best reason ever to do anything.

experience shouldn't ever be a factor in deciding whether or not to do something like this. everyone's gotta start somewhere. i won't say i'm an expert in 3D printing since I just started but because I just started, the "journey" is still fresh in my mind so if you have any questions about how to get started, at least how i got started, feel free to hit me with PMs. there's also a number of 3D printing specific threads here that are of great help.

best of luck!

7. slomotion

slomotion Radicons kitbasher

Haaa......funnie that I found this thread........im also planning on doing this......but just with the use of bh shoulder peice amd chest plate........and I could care less for the hidious truck mode.....but I believe I can pull this off......if only I can find a loose tfp fe optimus at a good price

8. Ceric Neesh

Ceric Neesh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got plans to do the same thing as well, and I *think* I've even figured out how to replace/add parts so that he still fully transforms and even ends up looking like the BH Vehicle mode. I'll shoot ya a PM.