Cell phone jammer at work

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by grayfox, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extendarr

Extendarr Well-Known Member

Where do you guys work where there's all this "down time" that you speak of?

Also, I fail to see why it's such a huge thing to ask anyone to disconnect for the entirety of their shift (or at least until their break!) Are we that addicted to information that we constantly need to be on social media or the internet, even at work? Do we really have to be in constant contact with our friends to the point where it can't wait until after we get off work? For fuck's sake, I'm often GLAD to be out of reach for just a little while. There are times when I just leave the damn thing at home or OFF and...*gasp*...just let it go to fucking voicemail or let them get me when I'm AVAILABLE. Hell, I don't know, maybe it'll be a relief to some of my friends to not hear from me for a few hours, rather than me constantly disturbing their productivity at their jobs while at the same time neglecting my own.

I work in a call center, around a lot of proprietary and sensitive information, so cell phones are an absolute no-go. One time caught using and you're out. You just simply don't have a job anymore. Yet I still see people trying to sneak peeks at their phones. I just don't get it.

My wife works in retail, and they have a "not on the floor" policy. Trust me, if you work in retail, there is no such thing as downtime. There are always racks to straighten, floors to clean, or something that needs to be done. If your video game stores are anything like the GameStops here, then you'll probably constantly be returning wayward cases that have been thrown just anywhere a customer felt like setting them down to the proper position.

And as someone said earlier, the person that sits and farts around on the cell phone is not the person who's going to get a better job. Why not work hard, show out, and put yourself out there as someone who wants to go to the next level?

2. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Yeah no.. There is downtime no matter where you work.

Hell.. I worked at Intelliteach *look it up* and took my gamecube to work. I did my job, and played my games.

The only reason I am not there anymore... I left because of the "Must be staring at your screen 100% of the time." Guess what... No one was. Infact people were finding -more- ways to do less work because Moral dropped so low, leaving me to take more and more of the calls.

3. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

QTF, sir.

I mean, go back before cell phones/texting was a thing. People worked during their entire shift (gasp!). Why can't the same be true today? At work, I see one employee who works 4 hour shifts and he keeps checking his phone and/or quickly replies to text messages and I think "Can't he control himself? I didn't used to be like this."

And yes, there is always stuff to be done. In many jobs, there is downtime because the employee doesn't realize there is more to do. And then managers/bosses get blamed because they don't occupy the employee enough. Part of it is absolutely true. As a manager/boss, there needs to be a list of tasks/goals made for the employee to accomplish. But once it's done, it's up to the employee to see what else can be done during his shift. I call it showing initiative. If the employee is paid for 8 hours of work minus a 30 minute lunch break and 2 15 minute smoke breaks, then that means the employee owes 7 hours of straight up work. At least, that's how I see it.

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That is just crazy talk right there. You should be paid because you are entitled to it... Right?

5. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Holy shit. I was going to respond to everything in here,

[​IMG]

I will say, for the dude working in the call center: I worked in a call center for almost 5 years. Agent, then Help Desk, then Local Resource Planning. You will fit in perfectly with management with that type of mindset.

Also, again, good employers breed good employees. Remember that.

6. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Just a little correction here, you are not FORCED to take a break. Your employer is FORCED to give you a break, if you take it is on you. They are also not required by federal law to pay for your lunch break.

Chuck

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Welp this has nothing to do with the old topic at hand so I think we're done here, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.