Castlevania Animated Series - Netflix

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lets face it they wanted to keep using Alucard and probably wanted to eventually do Symphony of the night. So Richter was the one they went with. Simon is more of the lone warrior type. (Unless it's Captain N)
    They don't do their research on most of the websites just a few months a go the internet was laughing because they asked why Chun Li wasn't in Mortal Kombat.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @Tekkaman Blade
    I found the original article, and I’m pretty sure it was written tongue-in-cheek. They even use the phrase “street fight.” They also go on how the MK trailer alone deserves 4 Oscars for being so awesome. Sounds like it was meant as a joke and the Internet didn’t pick up on the dripping sarcasm.

3. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    tumblr_pd5tv6K41A1rbrgo3o1_1280.png
    0933c75af2af8ed6152a435f83516442.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    For those confused here is the time line of games
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

It's pretty accurate except for the presence of Legends. As far as I know, Legends is it's own continuity.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Deathcatg

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    True. It didn't start out that way, part of Legends' selling point when it came out was that Sonia was suppose to be the very start of the Belmont bloodline until the timeline got streamed down, with Leon taking that distinction.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Kind of would have preferred it if they had kept Sonia as the start of the Belmont bloodline. Honestly, Lament of Innocence has never sat right with me seeing as how cliche it is that the start of the Belmont Vampire Hunter legacy is essentially orchestrated by his best friend who turns out to be Dracula.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Legends presents a similar problem. In the best ending IIRC, it implies that Alucard and Sonia hooked up & now the Belmont clan has a blood-connection to Dracula.

The Lords of Shadows reboot did the same thing.

I always preferred that the Belmont clan’s only connection to Dracula was their long-standing family tradition of breaking his fangs every time he crawled his way back out of the grave.

Like, Dracula is a big deal for them, but they don’t fixate on him. They would spend their time hunting other monsters across the countryside inbetween Drac’s resurrections or just be occupied doing other things.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Huh, didn't know that about Legends. That's also kind of dumb. I mean, I'm the same way basically in that they really shouldn't be connected to Dracula outside of them going after him whenever he shows up and the family members who form friendships/alliances with Alucard to take Drac down.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deathcatg

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, though Legends was for the original Game Boy, it came out after SOTN, so Bishōnen Alucard was already a thing in Castlevania.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

The only issue I have with that idea is it's proximity in the timeline to Castlevania III. Trevor is supposed to be the first Belmont to face and defeat Dracula (with the aid of Alucard, Sypha, and Grant). Could easily rework Sonia into being a...Well, legend that predates Leon, facing a different vampire or creatures of the night. The Netflix series only vaguely alludes to Leon's history with Dracula, and even then it's only to state that he and his family came to Wallachia to hunt him, but the reason why isn't said.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Honestly, the Castlevania series as a whole could benefit from introducing a variety of new “final bosses” instead of using Dracula all the time. For one thing, they wouldn’t have to worry about that “every 100 years” rule that no one follows anyway.

I just rewatched the 2 endings to Legends & other than mentioning the “bloodline of dark ways,” it doesn’t say anything about Alucard. Their romantic inclinations must’ve occurred throughout the game though, because all the wikis say the same thing; that Alucard is implied to be the father of her child.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    IGA removed Circle of the Moon and Legends from continuity iIrc. Something something about how it doesn't work with the timeline, etc.

I find it curious that with Lament of Innocence, they wanted to be closer to the book/movie origin of Drac, where he's a zealous crusader that ends up blaming God for the death of his wife. So Alucard's mom is Vlad's second wife. Not much came out of it since Konami axed IGA anyways. We could've seen who the young one wearing the Pumpkin costume in LoI is!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    An interesting take. I’ll give them credit for putting some thought into this. The show was still a hella’ mixed bag for me though. Just using an unusual writing technique doesn’t make it clever or “good” though. And a ton of the dialogue still sucks.

Also- St. Germain did get closure to his story. He did horrible things to try and reunite with his love. And when he finally found her in the infinity corridor & she had a chance to step through, she turned her back on him, seeing what he had become. Closure. He was a vile person and in the end was not rewarded.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed about the mixed bag. Isaac ended up being the most fleshed out and compelling character with the most satisfying arc. The other characters stranglely ended up almost in the periphery by comparison, at least in terms of caring what happens to them (OK, I did care about Sypha because she's badass).

Here's to hoping that the next Castlevania show they work on is a bit more polished and tightly focused with the writing.

• Like Like x 3
  16. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

October 5th, 2021

• Like Like x 2
  17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

When you've effectively got one story arc that spans three seasons, but you only plan one season at a time, this is what happens. Especially if you have to switch writers partway through.

18. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I was under the impression that Warren wrote the entire thing. That they cut him loose after he’d already written the final season.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It looks like you're correct. Some initial reports made it sound like someone else would be heading up season 4, and the sudden shift in pace and story direction certainly made it seem that way.

And if that can happen under just one writer, I guess that really drives home the importance of at least sketching out an entire arc at a time.

20. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's just strange that the main three heroes (Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard) didn't actually end up meeting with Hector, Isaac, or Camilla at all in the end, as far as I can recall. So you have two separate story arcs that run parallel with each other but don't actually connect in any meaningful way in the end. Just oddly disjointed writing all around, not counting the dialogue.

• Like Like x 2