Carmax Experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnRedcorn, Feb 25, 2020.

1. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am thinking of shopping for a car from Carmax. They seem to have specific car that I am looking for, and I am not in a hurry to buy one. In any case, I am curious to know, has anyone had any experience buying from Carmax? I am aware of the supposed premium for the no-haggle experience but I have seem some online research where the difference is sometimes negligible considering certain factors, like mileage, return policy, etc. Also, how are their loan options?

2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have a personal experience with them, but used cars in general.

1.) Always check the reviews of the branch you're going to. Google, Cars.com, etc. Don't just rely on one. Make sure you cover all the bases and read all the reviews. This can be one of the biggest make or breaks.
    2.) Check the overall reviews of Carmax, itself.
    3.) Check the Kelley Blue Book and NADA prices, they should line up closely or if they're a good bit different, you'll want to find an average between the two and see where the asking price lays. If it's on the high end, make sure it's a vehicle befitting that higher price.
    4.) Go and meet the salespeople, first. Make sure you get a feel for them, the car, and the situation beforehand.

If, after all of that, you feel okay...go for it. I purchased a certified pre-owned KIA from a dealer in the Cleveland area and they took my trade-in as well as allowed me to buy a brand new factory warranty as if I had purchased the vehicle right off the truck. I ended up with a good experience and a quality vehicle for a lot less than brand new.

Used car lots, like the roadside ones that are privately owned no-names...avoid those like the plague. They earn a bad name for a reason. Awful.