The year was 2012. Me and my partner in art crimes Jon started on our most extravagant project to date. Many months and hot glue burns later we made it to Retrocon 2012. I had forgotten that my wife and I documented the process. Since I've been seeing a lot of cosplay love on TFW as of late I decided to share in hopes of inspiring more. First the Work! In the beginning we started with the basic form of the head. Then add the ear-tennas once we got the basic form down. I tapped up ideas and sketches behind the work area. This also happened to be over my collection lol. Rough sketch for the body and arms. Just trying to map out shapes here. The rough fit of the chest. I've found Its actually smarter to start with the chest since everything scales to it. If I remember right we did have to alter a few things on the head for sizing issues which I don't seem to have pics of. A little photo editing can help make sure your heading in the right direction...and which direction to go. Test fit one. The chest and stomach are two pieces so im trying to figure where I want the chest to sit. This piece helps the chest form tilting the wrong way and was a result of the test fit. The un assembled shoulder/upper arm. The long tabs are the skeleton to hold it together. This is the skin that gets glues over the skeleton. The arms race begins. Test fit arms which uncovered a big issue. They fit but dont stay in place. Thats me in the costume and Jon thinking "This sh!* might work." Inside the legs. Velcro straps to tie in the leg. This was the hardest part curling the cardboard skin for the leg. Because of the shape eventually the curve goes against the corrugation. That makes it a real pain to bend. TIP rolling pins help with this. Also in my opinion a lot of profanity but to each their own. The bottom skirt of the leg. I wish I doubled up on this cause this part is what took the most wear and damage. Lesson learned. Leg form done more details later. Inside of the shoulder is a flower pot and a bowl. Dollar store score! Just add dremel and hot glue. The hands. These are not worn like gloves. There is a handle inside to carry them like a tool box. The hidden suspenders holding up the lower torso and waist. That means this had to go one first. The dino head skeleton. More cardboard, more coffee. HaHaHa! This is still hanging from the ceiling. The room is also still not air conditioned. But seriously all this time joking could be glueing. The idea board near the end. It tends to get a little beautiful mind but the results! Dino head skinned with lover jaw. Robot head with a little paint. The visor is a see through plastic folder. I think that required a trip to an office store. The dino head finished. Jon really put a lot of detail into this for something you really dont see. The eye was a cut up easter egg. Notice the coat hangers of the arm holes. The shoulders slide over that and it keeps them in place. This still allows for arm movement. I used latex house paint mainly because I ran out of cash and had a hardware store credit card. Grownup life sucks stay in school kids. I wish I could have filled something over the corrugation for a smoother finish but resources and time. At this point the event was only days away. More details the wings and dino arms. Arm=wiffleball bat. Shoulder=wiffle ball. Test fit. Testing for movement. Look at the shoulders, they hit the head. After cutting a chunk of each side no more issues. Details added to the leg to give knee and foot. The sword that never got made. The was a lot of trial and error getting the foot on. The electronic junk we made the chest doodads out of. It was all dusty and well junk so into the sink. There was an old nintendo a computer or two and some sort of radio. The idea came from them building the dinobots on earth in the cartoon. The wings peg on and off for travel and doors. The wing being built. The platform shoes I wear to give me some height. Im only 5'9" these add six inches. Jon noticed one part was copper so he dremeled it up to make it flashy. We just layed it out on a pre bent piece of cardboard and moved it til it looked right. Hot glued it on the cardboard and then drilled holes through it for the lights. The are those battery powered holiday lights...from the dollar store. I just hot glued them after I popped them through the holes. We basically made a shelf to sit it on so it could be taken out it need. This came in handy because a small piece did pop off at some point. The window is three separate pieces of plexiglass glued to the inside. The tiny gap prevented fogging up. T-rex fingers from dollar store sand trowels. Thats the last part and then final paint which I have no pics of. Also pictured the makeshift glue and bit holder we made out of necessity. Next post finished project.