carbon oxygen on mars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doomtron, Mar 13, 2013.

1. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Really wish I could post links but the ex took my computer . Anywhoo on nasa.govs site www.nasa.gov they found elements of carbon oxygen water . and for anyone that knows that they are a carbon based life form this news is pretty dam cool. Every day it seems our world looks a little less out of the ordinary :)  if mars was once capeable of sustaining life our next door neighbor I think this really opens the door on how we view the universe

2. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah

3. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

d:

Next week, Curiosity will discover the Elements of Harmony, and we will realize that not only are we not alone in the universe, everybody else is an anthropomorphic pony.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Finding carbon, oxygen, and water on mars isn't all THAT impressive, as they're very common elements and we've know for a long, LONG time about the first two (the atmosphere is CO2). That being said, they ARE extremely important biological elements, and what I think is really important here is the discovery of sedimentary rock (which is a really strong sign there was liquid water on mars at some point) and minerals/elements within that sedimentary rock such as phosphorous and sulfur, which are another sign of liquid water (as they are often dissolved in water) and are also used in biological functions.

I, personally, think their "we believe the answer is yes" statement to there being life on mars is a bit much, but they're the eggheads, and they probably have a lot of data and calculations that aren't included in these news stories. There's a lot more factors in the sustenance of life than elemental availability and liquid water, such as climate, atmosphere, the existence of toxic compounds, external energy/nutrient sources, hell, even gravity. That being said, I think it entirely plausible that long, long ago, when mars was "hotter" (due to the core not cooled to the point its at now) and/or more volcanically active, especially since there's now substantial evidence for the existence of liquid water (which indicates a very narrow temperature range, which includes the range where we know life can exist).

It's also important to remember that even if mars COULD have supported life at some point, that doesn't necessarily mean it DID. We're a long way from proving that "DID", after all. But even then, the existence of these conditions in the past on mars could mean resources and conditions that humans can take advantage of in terms of colonization or even terraforming.

In any case, this is big news!

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty cool, but not quite as cool as thinking they've found salt water on Europa.

7. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Cool! :D 

Imagine, our big red neighbour may have once been a host for living organisms, even if just the wee single-celled chaps :D 

8. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems like NASA is blowing up with all the news, maybe funding time is coming up they want to show people we can start colonizing and making that money back, ha.

It's not like any of the colony programs would be completed in anyone's lifetimes that are approving the funding or that work at NASA currently.

9. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    I know right wish we could get a misson there . For anyone checking out NASA - Home they have a very interesting read on europa and a dried up nile like river on mars . I go there about every day ....... I really need a girl friend :-[

10. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    I don't know people are paying mad money to take space flights. Now that there is money to be made it will probabaly develop faster

11. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We'll get there eventually. We'll see how the Mars colonisation thing goes, and asteroid mining by big corporations is sure to give a massive kick in the backside to space exploration. There's some serious money in that industry sector, now that they want to mine the belt funding for R&D into propulsion systems and ship technology is gonna leap up.

It was always the way we'd eventually get into space proper. There's just not enough money in things like NASA to do it for the science, not without backing from greedy corporations who want a piece of the space pie. Not that I mind, I'll be happy to abuse big industry money for my own scientific ends.

12. Escargon

Escargon Meh.

News Credits:
    Is this suspose to mean something?

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:

You tell us. Does it?

14. Escargon

Escargon Meh.

News Credits:
    Um.

Oh, it means we can breath it, yes?

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Nope. The atmosphere of mars is still carbon dioxide, and very thin at that, and would be insufficient to support human beings.

Have you read the two articles posted? They'll shed a lot of insight into what the discovery means and the implications thereof.

16. Escargon

Escargon Meh.

News Credits:
    Damn.

Well then.

17. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well that's good I guess....course till they find life on Mars [Not like we're going to run into the BETA BETA - Muv-Luv Wiki on Mars] Just another interesting bit in the news so that's good that NASA is still at least working on discovering things.

Still Interesting at least...