Car vandalized and everything stolen...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sylent, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

A couple of weeks ago (basically, the last time I logged in here), my car was vandalized and all of my personal and work equipment were stolen. I went to Walgreen’s in the morning before work to buy my wife an anniversary card for our 8th. I was in the store for maybe 10 minutes and came out to two of my windows shattered and my backpack, work briefcase and my lunch bag stolen. Basically, my entire life was in that backpack. My heart dropped to my stomach. I was in the store for no more than 10 minutes and I parked my car right under the parking lot surveillance camera and was in line of sight of two other cameras… and of course, nobody saw or heard anything.

The thieving asshats got away with over $3000 of electronics: my work laptop, personal laptop, 2 TB hard drives, a bunch of flash drives in addition to my monthly train pass, prescription glasses, prescription medicine, two Netflix DVD’s, my checkbook, and a Samsung s4 phone that I was sending to my Father as a gift… basically, they stole everything except my smartphone, sunglasses and wallet, which were on me. On my personal laptop were all of my comic convention/cosplay photos, my DJ software and my video/photo editing software. Since my daily commute is brutally long, I basically live out of my backpack. On the two TB drives were my wedding photos and a slide show that I was giving to my Father as a gift along with the phone and now, everything is gone without a trace and probably on Craig’s List or eBay by now. I bet the vandals are laughing as they review and erase all of my wedding and vacation photos; memories that I will never get back.

I figured that it had to be a team of two since they broke two of my windows, which cost me $450 to repair and an entire missed day of work. In addition, I had to cancel and transfer my bank accounts since they got my checkbook. It just so happened that my wife and I were taking a vacation later in the week and I owed the Feds this year for taxes, so had it set up to direct debit. Since I closed my account, I had to screw with that while on vacation and of course, nobody at the IRS wanted to help when I called to explain the situation, not even my tax preparer, who I subsequently terminated.

I filed a report with the police that I’m still waiting for in order for the insurance to complete my claim and as evidence to my employer that I didn’t pilfer my $1800 work laptop… I was hoping that the police would have some leads since I was directly under a camera, but I don’t believe they cared enough to conduct a thorough investigation since no one was hurt. I called today to follow-up on the report and was told that “there wasn’t sufficient evidence...” Such a crock! I don’t even believe they looked at any of the footage. Even worse, they don’t email or fax their reports to the victims. You have to either come to the station to pick it up or pay $16 to have it mailed to you, and they’re closed on weekends.

Everyone’s telling me, “you’re so lucky that you weren’t hurt.” Bah! I just wish I had walked out of the store a few moments earlier and caught these guys. I would have beaten them, or at least one of them to a bloody pulp. They would have to shoot me to get away with my stuff, so maybe I am fortunate. Either way, it sucks. I've spent the greater part of the last few weeks trying to piece my life back together and replenish my stolen merchandise.

I've been constantly replaying that morning in my mind and creating "what if" scenarios: What if I hadn't stopped to look at the Marvel Legends and Funko Pops. What if I didn't stop to see if the cookies were on sale. What if I spent less time choosing which card to buy...

• Like Like x 7
  2. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Sorry to hear that man. I too was the victim of a car thief recently, although all that was taken was a few bucks in change and a $20 part I had to replace.

However, I have had stereos, amps, speakers, etc. stolen a few times over the years. That feeling of being violated is horrible and takes a while to shake off.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Well, that sucks. My wife had her car broken into once in our driveway. We've also had our house burgled, although they only took a handful of things. It takes some time to shrug off the feelings of violation and wondering what you could have done to prevent it. In your case, the only thing you really could have done was put your stuff in your trunk if you're going to go to a store (not being particularly critical BTW, it's something most of us, including me, don't think about when we think we're just popping in and out of somewhere). Beyond that, it takes time to realize everything else is beyond your control...the universe simply dealt you a bad day. :( 

• Like Like x 3
  4. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What a nightmare for you! I hope those creeps gets what's coming to them! :mad:  A while back I went to lunch with my aunt and cousins, my car was parked in a lot near the restaurant, in early afternoon and on a busy street and when I came back after lunch the cars to my left and right next to me were broken into! My car was somehow spared...it's a major problem here in San Francisco :( 

• Like Like x 1
  5. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Geewunner... 84/85er (yes, I'm one of THOSE)

Damn bro. Sorry to hear that. The security cameras didn't catch anything?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

That's rough man. My sympathies.

Even if they don't catch them now the type of people that do those things don't just do them once. They'll get popped for something sooner or later. And their life is far from easy or even good. The most they cost you was a couple weeks of aggravation but their entire life is nothing but aggravation.

And it really is a good thing you weren't there because the types of degenerates that do those things are often the snatch your life type. Over dumb, meaningless shit too.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  7. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

That's awful. I'm sorry to hear about this.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Man....that really fucking sucks dude. I'm really sorry that happened to you. And I know what I'm about to say may come off wrong, but....do you have tinted windows on your car? If not, was the backpack and other items clearly visible to anyone that would walk by your car? A buddy of mine who's a cop always tells me never to leave anything worth anything visible in the car, even if you have tinted windows. It's always better to put things in your trunk if you can.

• Like Like x 2
  9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Damn that sucks. I hope the crime was caught on camera and you get at least some of your stuff back. or at bare minimum the guys get busted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot *º*Hockey mom and coach*º*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It sucks there are such shitty people in the world, but from now on treat your backpack like a pocketbook. Can you imagine your wife leaving her pocketbook in her car while she ran into the store? Take this as a learning experience. I commend your faith in humanity before this incident occurred, it was very admirable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GoLion

GoLion 誰がおならをした

News Credits:
    Was it two windows on one side? It could still be one guy. It's easier to smash both windows and walk away instead of smashing and opening the doors. They're trying to be as fast as possible.

This happened to a buddy of mine a few years ago. He walked up on the dude in the middle of the robbery pulled his gun and the shithead ran away.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    That fucking sucks. I hope things get better for you soon and this stops being an ongoing source of garbage in your life so you can get back to the good stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  13. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Sorry to hear bub...that is a horrible feeling...my little cousin just had a similar unfortunate event...it was his home...kids photos (who now live out of state with the mother)...and...the vast majority of his tools (he is in construction)...lost so much...and...just came off vacation to find out his home was robbed...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  14. CoktimusPrime

CoktimusPrime I see you ;)

Next time I hope those bastard(s) break in & get trapped inside that smelly car in Seinfeld. Or a car that emits flame throwers on it's sides as anti-theft device.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

OP, I see you're also in California (I'm in the southern part). The crime and homeless problems we have here are waaaaay out of control. Just a little over a week ago, a 35yr old man was stabbed in the neck by a vagrant while at a restaurant, AND with his 5yr old sitting on his lap. He didn't survive. The murderer had been arrested multiple times, but let go. There are essentially different laws for non-taxpayers. The law doesn't get serious about jail time unless a person steals over $900 worth of things, and druggies are no longer mandated to seek help and get their addictions under control. AB 109 and Prop 47 have ALL let lose a TON of criminals from jail over the past few years, and Prop 57 is written so the people who have been involved with kidnapping, child sex trafficking, and rape of an unconscious person can be let out because their actions were redesignated as "non-violent crimes." California is NOT all beaches and sunshine - the quality of life here has degraded on a massive scale, and I see it, literally, every day. Not sure why so many people here tolerate this...

• Like Like x 4
  16. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    I’ve never been to California so I can’t say anything, but in regards to your last sentence, when the quality of living in a place drops usually the standards of living for those living there do also. :2c: 

17. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Yup, honestly I wish I could leave the state also, but I have an elderly mother plus property to take care of. The state is essentially divided between the rich and the poor. Middle class said "Bye, Felicia" and went to places where the cost of living is much more affordable.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Raiju

Raiju Stormborn Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sorry to her about your loss and terrible experience. Though in the end it is just stuff (outside of irreplaceable memories like photographs and videos of loved ones; it's a good idea to back up these personal moments and use encryption software like Bitlocker on all your electronic devices - this is the IT guy in me talking), stuff can be replaced; it's the feeling of violation that stays with you, unfortunately.

Yeah, not having valuables in plain sight inside the cabin invites less chances of a smash and grab. These are crimes of opportunity, so it's a good idea to deny them that opportunity in the first place and make yourself a less inviting target.

I've seen the aftermath of smash and grabs while in the States, even a thief bold enough to grab something out of a car at my old apartment complex in Texas while the driver was right there (thief booked it with the driver hot on his tail but the scumbag hopped a fence like a damn monkey).

Luckily I've never been a victim (yet) and I always try to secure any valuables and bulky belongings I have in the trunk first (and not leave them laying around in the cabin where anyone can see them) before heading out or stopping somewhere enroute, at least when I was living in the States.

In Japan (a much safer country by comparison), I've felt less of a need to take these precautions (crime is a big reason why my wife and I don't really want to go back to the States).

• Like Like x 1
  19. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me!

I am thinking of moving to either Australia or Canada if this kind of stuff keeps happening in the States. Hasn't happened to my family or me personally yet, but my grandmother was robbed some time ago. No one was hurt, but this is what got me planning to move out of the country.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Wherever you do go, research it thoroughly. You don't want to end up trading one thing you don't want to put up with, for another thing that you'd rather have more of the former.

• Like Like x 3