Captain Picard returns to tv...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by pinoy78, Aug 4, 2018.

1. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

How did you see it so early in the day? Paramount+? Anyway, it just finished airing on the Sci-Fi Channel here in Canada. I thought it was great! I wouldn't call it filler, as much as taking a breath? I mean it has been nonstop for 6 episodes, downtime for an episode was appreciated by me. But ALOT happened still. I will avoid spoilers till later, I am as East Coast as it goes in Newfoundland, so many people probably haven't seen it yet :) 

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah paramount+. Im in US. i will say that a bit more happened at the end but Picard is at an age where daddy issues should be a thing of far past.

3. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He is. Consciously, Picard already knew all this and what his mother's condition was - your mind cannot tell you things you yourself do not know.
    This was more of a subconscious experience, and the culmination was not that Picard accepted his father, he did that long ago. It was that he remembered to try and understand his enemy, Q in this case.
    Plus it was a way to have him bond with Laris, who likely starts becoming interesting with Picard at this time, explaining why she is assigned as a Watcher to him in the future.
    Luckily this also means we can throw the RLM theory that the Borg Queen is Picard's mother out the window.

Yeah, agreed this was an intriguing episode.
    So we find out the truth about Picard's mother and why his relationship was so bad with his father - curious stuff.
    And nice to get a bit more lore about the El-Aurian / Q Continuum shaky history. In the past neither Guinan nor Q really elaborated on it, it was just clear she hated him.
    That ending threw me for a loop since Jay Karnes was in Star Trek Voyager too as a part of a future version of Starfleet, the Temporal Agency, who ensure the timeline is not contaminated - heck, he even worked with Seven of Nine! (Of course, it could be still that version, just pretending to be an FBI agent). I am not surprised he showed up, I know Matalas likes him, he was on 12 Monkeys too, also playing an FBI agent.
    My guess about not-Laris is that she IS Laris, same as Gary Seven she probably lives a very long life, and in the future, she is assigned to watch over Picard for the same thing she was assigned for here - of course, this past version does not know that yet.
    I almost wanted to say that Rios is an idiot for revealing he is from the future to the doctor and her son, but if you look back on prior time travel episodes... that happens EVERY time. Kirk even brought back someone from the past and during First Contact a very important historical character learns about his own future...

He was the Andorian captain in Enterprise, he should be canon - of course as that show was cancelled 4 season in, we don't really know whatever happened to him afterwards (but as far as I know, STO is its own canon, even if the creators would very much like if their canon was made official)

Watch episode 7, and you'll understand. It is not what it seems, at all. And perfectly understandable why it would traumatize a kid.

But, umm, he didn't leave Starfleet. He became the Federation ambassador to Qo'noS, but I don't think you'd need to give up your rank and resign for that. The Klingon ambassadors we have seen certainly seemed to have held their original ranks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    In Online, there's no mentioned connection between Shran and Shon, but if they were to import the character, it'd be awesome to establish him as a descendent of Shran, maybe even have him played by Combs taking some liberties with modern day Combs' physicality and Shon's more athletic looking build. Besides, I'd consider it poetic justice for "Enterprise" being cancelled before the planned 5th season would have had him as a series regular.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I’m crossing my fingers that last episode’s plot turn is not what it seems but considering they are reusing that actor, I think it will be…

the Time Police (and not the FBI). It’s not a coincidence the guy from the Voyager episode shows up here. Yay!

My overall feeling of the show is that I look forward to more episodes but the plot does feel kinda dragged out and paced poorly.

It seems like lots of “silly hijinks” get in the way of the characters getting to where they need to be and that feels mildly frustrating because it just feels like filler.

There’s interesting threads about Picard’s identity as a father to other characters, his own trauma getting in the way of his own happiness and even Allison Pill’s twisted journey to be her true self through the assist of a super villain. BUT the threads are disjointed. You get the feeling we are going towards a clearly defined destination but it’s just a very muddy path.

It’s still an improvement over season 1. I really like it when the show pushes into Picard’s Space Dad role. He’s not an action hero, he’s always been Space Dad. Keep it there!

• Like Like x 3
  6. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

I think you are spot on with this analysis, as soon as they revealed she was really Romulan, that was my thinking as well.

• Like Like x 3
  7. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

I mean in 'Times Arrow', Mark Twain ended up in the future on the Enterprise-D! So yeah, pretty common Trek trope to reveal it all to the side characters in the past regardless of consequences lol :p 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Kinda makes you think if you don’t reveal you’re from the future to someone in the past then “you’re doing it wrong.”

• Like Like x 1
  9. wampa1

wampa1 Well-Known Member

They seemed to have forgotten that it's not Rios' ship but rather the one from a Confederacy timeline. He'll have some explaining to do it if she found loads of Confederacy stuff about conquering the galaxy and executing everyone lying around.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I hate filler eps like this. A dream, or someone stuck in their head and has to be pulled out, crap like that - standard filler crap.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

This makes me sad at the loss of Rios Holographic "crew" if you could call them that, from Season 1. They were great! lol

• Like Like x 2
  12. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

I love this take, so good hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  13. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Huh, had no idea the singer lady in the bar Agnes visits is Patrick Stewart's wife!
    Watch Patrick Stewart’s Wife Sunny Ozell Sing In This Week’s ‘Star Trek: Picard’

I think Jay Karnes indeed is from
    the Temporal Agency
    - but the FBI also did notice Picard teleporting in, and he is merely there among them to try and spirit them away and make sure no harm comes to the timeline.
    Yeah the episodes are sadly a bit dragged out. Not that much happened in this one as in the previous one. I expected the Agnes/Borg plotline to advance faster. And we did not see anything about Soong and his "daughter" this episode.
    My guess is, she is an artificial cloned human, and he is perfecting the process... but as she lasted longer than all the others, he is actually attached to her and considers her to be a real daughter.

Well if you have seen 12 Monkeys, that was like this too. There are a thousand detours and hurdles but it is all going towards a conclusion. And looking back you will understand why a lot of these things had to have happened to get every player in their place, even if they seemed insignificant at the time.

I guessed she was Romulan from the moment we saw the device she uses for mind-linking is designed for pointy ears. :D 

Guess Picard got a visit from the Temporal Agency too for that, same as Sisko did... Maybe they also visited Twain/Clemens and ensured he did not write some piece about starships and a bright future at his old age. :D 

Heh, that's be quite awkward... :D  Indeed he is lucky this timeline ended up using the same model of ship as his.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I am almost 100% certain he did
    I’m Pretty sure you do…..after all have you ever seen any other full fledge Federation ambassadors wearing a starfleet uniform while Performing their ambassadorial responsibilities?

But giving up your rank for that kind of a position for a short time period doesn’t mean He would need to restart at a lower rank if he chose to be reinstated
    2 things

1)Worf WAS NOT the Klingon ambassador to the federation (Although I could see where Martok allowed him to serve in both roles)

2)How can you tell?

I don’t recall ever hearing military ranks of the Klingon ambassador from the the search from Spock or kell from TNG and both wore different uniforms then that of the Klingon military

General Kordd was the only Klingon diplomat I can recall to wear A military uniform that I can recall

15. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy christ, episode 7 was pure, utter trash. The dialog was so badly written. I can't believe the season started so strongly then nosedived at warp 9 straight into the ground. Everything about this show is a slap in the face to Star Trek. They set up an incredible premise with the first episode. Does the Federation uphold their moral beliefs and save the Borg? Or does it stand by and watch one of its deadliest enemies perish? They could have done so much with that. But no...we get the tired as fuck time travel trope. Oh, we have to make sure Picard's ancestor (because of course it would his ancestor) gets on her rocket, the supposed main plot which barely even gets screen time. And let's not forget how much they hyped the return of Q...for his whopping 5 minutes.

And the whole thing with his mother? Yeah, fuck that. His father knows she's mentally ill and his solution is lock her a room until she stops ranting? Bull. Shit. It's not like they had psychiatrists or anything, right?

Speaking of, I legit thought his father was supposed to be Bashir for most of the episode, until he called him father.

And why the hell did Picard need a tortured backstory? It adds nothing to his character. At all. Oh, we need to know why he would never let anyone get close to him. The fuck we do. Everything established about his character before this show was more than enough to make Picard one of the most beloved captains in Trek. He was intelligent, diplomatic, inspiring, and someone to look up to. And the really frustrating thing about that is get to see glimpses of it...but most of the time you'd think Patrick Stewart himself had killed the writers' pets as kids the amount of shitting on Picard the show does.

I don't...maybe I'm just too old, or maybe I'm not as liberal as I thought, but between the emotion-fest The Message pushing Discovery and this, I think Star Trek is pretty much dead.

16. Primeultra

Bashir?
    Why?
    It’s not even the same actor

Yeah I think adding something like this to the characters back story so late in the game is a bit pointless

I mean trying to explain why he has a problem with relationships is one thing but I think using this as the exclamation is a bit overkill

Also I kind of feel introducing this type of a psychiatric condition on a human is a bit “out of place” for characters born between Kirks and Picards era.

Maybe it’s just my interpretation but I always felt that they always stood by the idea that those kinds of ailments has been made obsolete

• Like Like x 1
  17. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @Primeultra I honestly have no idea. Probably the uniform. Maybe because I've been into STO lately and Bashir has a beard in the game, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Primeultra

Well I guess that explains it lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

I am watching this episode again right now, and it is great! The FBI guy is definately the same Time Agent, they would not have cast him otherwise, especially with the opportunity to have him interact with Seven again ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  20. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

The uniform changes throughout the scenes with him. At one point it is the grey uniform from the Dominion War, another it is the Voyager era uniforms..