Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by pinoy78, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

And yet even today a person can be brought back to life (Conscience) after a short time dead, I have read the time is between 30 to 60 minutes, who knows if Technology can extend it in the years to come, seems reasonable that by the time the show is set might be a lot longer

Neelix’s ”Consciousness” was returned after 18 hours dead, according to 7 It was possible to bring him back from almost 70 hours dead

I agree the magic blood thing may have been stupid, but this is not exactly the same thing since it involves technology extending life

Do we know how long after his death the transfer was done.....That was rhetorical because we really don’t know, for all we know they put the body in stasis for a bit and got the job done
    I have no problem with the concept of a copy, I just don’t think that they established it was an actual copy and not a transfer of Consciousness

Just to look at another fiction, related to Patrick coincidentally, Charles Xavier’s (comic) Original body was destroyed when it was transformed into the Brood Queen.His consciousness was then transferred into a cloned body.The body was a copy but the consciousness was not.........And I’m not sure if that’s not what we got with Picard

Anyway has anybody seen this....

'Picard' Season 2 will answer a huge question from the finale, showrunner hints

Some stuff there seems incorrect I was wondering what you guys would think of it

• Like Like x 1
  2. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah. He's going to become the new Destroyer and bring those Ultra-advanced synthetics that got cut off at the last second to this part of the galaxy (or universe? hmmm). All Hail Locutis of Synth!!! :lol 

3. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

What's the source of this interview?

• Like Like x 1
  4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    How Dead Can Someone Be Before They Can't Be Saved?
    Depends on the kind of "death" and under what conditions.
    But when the brain is dead, it is dead.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't stop thinking about "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" from TOS, where the message of that story seemed to be that putting your consciousness into an android body was an abomination. Chapel was horrified that the love of her life had done it, and at the end when Spock asks where Korby is, Kirk says "Korby was never here." Has Star Trek done a total 180 on this theme now?

6. Primeultra

I think this is more of a skit then an interview
    Hasn’t stopped some from trying to change that
    Reversing brain death: Far-fetched or feasible?

Might be possible to actually some kinds of reverse brain death at some point, And besides I think drawing a connection between what happened to Picard and what’s considered “brain death” in this day and age is questionable

I don’t think it would’ve been the first time the trek has changed course like this, even the introduction of Data seemed to be an “About-face” from how androids were depicted in TOS

An other example of how trek has contradicted itself was how the genetically modified were handled even in the tng era

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Doesn't really answer where it is from.

8. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

It's from a uk show called Extras from years ago where the Ricky Gervais character played an extra taking part in various productions, and he would meet celebrities who were the main star of those productions. The celebrities were played by themselves, but were over the top parodies. It's not a serious interview.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Primeultra

Obviously if I knew it was from I would post it, but I was addressing whether or not it’s an actual interview
    Thanks you
    That’s what I thought

• Like Like x 1
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You're putting the burden of proof on the wrong side. At no point have they ever established they have the capability of even just identifying and isolating the seat of consciousness, much less the ability to transfer it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Primeultra

Before I get accused of being argumentative, this is an honest statement.....I’m not sure I understand what you mean by the side I’m putting the burden of proof on

But as far as trek as a whole....., We have seen on a number of occasions since TOS and just about every series since that the ability to deliberately transfer Consciousness is possible by means of Technology or telepathy...... Not to mention the times it happened by way of random accident or weird alien

Seems to me it is at least reasonable that with all these different occurrences That they would eventually learn to identify and isolate the seat of consciousness

And I believe Arkin indicated he learned the secret of transferring it

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

My own personal preferences on this matter is that a lot of whatever is shown in TOS should just be thrown out the window. That show was hella cray cray (I say that playfully).

I think the only time when a transfer of consciousness/soul has ever happened (and it was not accidental) was when a Vulcan transfers their mind/soul into another body. Examples: Spock, maybe Surak?

I think every other time it's been accidental. And I don't think any Trek show has definitively shown a technology that can do mind/soul swapping. But I could be wrong...

I've watched every Trek series (multiple times) but I don't have a encyclopedic knowledge.

13. Primeultra

There are deliberate cases, 2 come to mind Immediately

Troi Data and O’Brien were all taken over by the Consciousness of Prisoners on a weird alien world

Kirks Consciousness was swapped out by an old girlfriend

14. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

While not exactly the same, what about Tuvix? That was a blending of conciousnesses into a single entity, and then split back apart i to their original bodies.

And how would the borg be applied? Like when Seven started having the minds of those she assimilated take over her body?

What about data's mum? Was she a copy or a conciousness transfer?

Trek has done some freaky stuff with conciousnesses in the past. Of all the dumb in picard, the transfer or copy is the thing i have the least problem with.

15. Primeultra

Exactly
    I even remember an episode that had Chakotays Consciousness floating around taking over others for a short bit , although I can’t remember why

Star Trek has promoted the idea that the consciousness is kin to energy

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well it's likely none of the writers ever watched that episode.

• Like Like x 3
  17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Not how I remember it. The android copies were all "pet cemetery" light and unstable. Even Korby. But the episode was written by the same guy who wrote Psycho. And it very much structured like a horror story. That said I think Roddenberry had dim view of trans-humanism. Data is the only "good" synthetic/AI in the franchise under his watch. In TOS every time a mineral based intelligence showed up it was evil. And Daystrom was implied to be deranged for wanting to build a thinking machine. The Borg are bad guys. And Data's gramps (and boy did THAT get retconned by Enterprise) goes (more) nutso after transferring his mind into Data.

18. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, yeah, that's what the theme is. Attempting to augment oneself through artificial means is universally portrayed as a bad thing. Data's main theme was trying to be more human. Roddenberry's message was always that humanity trumps technology. As someone who enjoyed watching Picard help Data become more human, I was saddened to see that Picard has abandoned his humanity to become an android. In what I see as a complete subversion of Roddenberry's ideal.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On that note, when the Borg grafted flesh onto Data in First Contact, this was also seen as a bad thing- not just because the Borg did it and the flesh came from one of the Enterprise’s crew, but because it was essentially a cheat to reach his goal sooner.

20. Primeultra

I don’t see it so much as Picard abandoning his humanity since it wasn’t his choice, and I feel it’s more that his humanity lives on regardless of what it is contained in

besides if what some other members have said here is right, that these “androids” are 100% flesh and blood, then what’s the difference between them and some kind of clone?
    Actually I don’t think the film made anything clear about where the skin cane from, was there something about that in the novel or full script?

• Like Like x 1