Captain Picard returns to tv...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by pinoy78, Aug 4, 2018.

1. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 Spoon!

News Credits:
    I think you gotta binge watch the whole season in one sitting/weekend to appreciate Picard season one.

The week breaks made the pacing seem really uneven, and the final episode felt extremely rushed, or is it just me?

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well the episode was written and directed by Akiva Goldsman. That's all you really need to know. He's like poison to a series.

• Like Like x 2
  3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Are Rafi and Seven a thing now?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    3ddd40e9f6aa59265b6621f82a41883b_w200.gif

• Like Like x 4
  5. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, was right about my predictions on how this would end. I have to laugh at RLM Mike and Rich's predictions of a thousand ships shooting phasers and torpedos everywhere... No, it was a grand gesture of humanity and tried and true Picard diplomacy that won the day. :)  And man it felt good to see Captain Riker back in action. Even if it felt weird that Starfleet would have a giant fleet all made of the same ship type. (Guess the budget was small for the CGI).
    I was also right about what I assumed would happen to Picard himself. In a way, he became closer to Data even more.
    I was surprised though about that certain death of a character - considering the character wasn't really in the show before, and we already thought he was dead to begin with, it did not hit me that hard. I said my goodbyes to said character many years ago already.
    Nice though that Soong was not as much of an a-hole as I assumed last episode, and Narek also kinda redeemed himself. His sister went out like a punk though. I am not even sure what she was still doing on the cube... I assumed she beamed out 2 episodes ago.
    Seems Picard is now back as an active admiral? I wonder where he and his new crew will go in the next season. Would not mind seeing what happened to the rest of the TNG cast. Maybe a few DS9 characters to show up too.
    All in all it was a nice story of redemption for Picard. He failed to save a race once (sort of) and now he did save a whole race from annihilation.
    I also felt like more of his old "in charge" self came through when he was with Agnes on the ship, and I loved the reference to the Picard maneuver and how they (briefly) duplicated it.

Data taught himself the Vulcan nerve pinch, something I believe Kirk tried pretty hard to learn, but never could. So I don't think the mind-meld is out of the question, especially since all of these androids were flesh and blood biological ones. Their skin colors I believe were just personal choices. Soji was disguised to look human because she needed to be.

After Control was such a major element of Discovery, I never really expected this AI race to really appear and stay around to be a major enemy. They were fine as an "eldritch horrors with grasping tentacles from a portal" sort of appearance, that's all that was needed of them. Btw, kinda reminded me of Sentinels from the Matrix.
    I would not rule out Lore appearing sometime in the future, but it is... dubious. I recently rewatched Descent and Data does not just shoot and then shut down Lore (HAL-style) but also later confirms Lore has been dismantled, aka taken apart. I have no doubts he would have been studied, but people would have to be really stupid to ever try to reactivate him given, pardon the pun, all the lore about his past actions.
    I do wish btw more was done with Lore, if it was explained why he seemed to be cruel and evil often for just the sake of being evil. It was something he had even before Data was created, so it was not just jealousy.

I really liked Elnor and I hope he stays around for the next season. He is one very unusual Romulan, and I love his honesty and brutal tactless questions. He would have gotten on very well with Data. :) 
    And yes, the flashback showed how important Picard was to him. He cared enough about him to try and help him, an orphan. He grew up pretty much putting him on a pedestal and when he reappeared, of course he forgave him. It was his childhood dream of going on adventures with his hero all happening at once. :) 

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So that entity, did V'Ger absorb Unicron?
    DemonicUnicronToyimages.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

I just binged the whole season since CBS is free for a month. It is definitely a series to watch all in one sitting. Am I the only one that got kind of a deja vu Mass Effect feeling from the show. We even get a Garrus ala ME2 style.
    Jeri-Ryan-as-Seven-of-Nine.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    It's isn't Deja Vu it's called Plagiarism. Kurtzman steals plots from video games now and thinks people won't notice. First it was the indie game Tartigrade, now it's mass effect. Hope EA sues him.
    Be sure to cancel it before the month is over or they will charge you again.

9. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

The Vulcan nerve pinch is literally just pinching a nerve pressure point to render somebody unconscious. I can understand anybody being able to learn how to do that, it doesn't require any special ability to pull off. But not a mind meld. A mind meld requires some degree of telepathic ability, it shouldn't be something anybody can simply learn how to do. And I don't get the impression all of these androids were flesh and blood, or that their skin/eyes were personal choices. I believe Soji and Dahj were the first to be created using a new technology to make androids with human bodies, while the rest had machine bodies like Data, and as such, why they looked more like Data.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The whole concept is not original to Mass Effect either.
    BioWare didn't create the concept of synthetics wiping out organic life, so to say "they stole it from Mass Effect" is a load of bullshit.

• Like Like x 3
  11. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

Yes, they stole so much the judge had to more or less laugh that lawsuit out of court. Please educate us more professor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Their appealing that case now, it's almost never over with one court battle. And deny it as much as you want Kurtzman and Goldman are hack writers and their projects tend to fail and get very poor feedback. Even if you don't agree, you shouldn't put it past writers of this poor quality to try to borrow things from better sources.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    Great story so far, kind of makes me think of the pre-battlestar gallactica arc with the cylons. Kind of a warning about the AI.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Well... that was bad.
    Not quite Jake-Luke bad... but... bad.

I do have 1 nagging question tho:
    WTH did I just watch?
    Or the point of it?

And I was right at the beginning of this: Picard
    dies
    , and this cheat / faux fake-out is pretty meaningless because Picard
    is indeed dead
    and what cheat we have in his place is a sophisticated simulation. It’s like they tried to have their cake and eat it too. But IMO it doesn’t quite work.

I guess it’s somewhat better... or not as bad... as having the ghosts of Picard and Data standing next to each other, watching Soji.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  15. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

If that’s the case how did Narak kill Saja (name spelling?) by starring her in the eye with that butterfly broach?

If her body was more like Data’s she might have been injured by the attack but it should have been easy to repair

I still haven’t seen the new episode so if that gets covered then disregard what I just asked

16. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land"

News Credits:
    During that whole scene I was like “wait...what about Chakotay...?” Lol

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sparky Prime

All things considered, a flesh and blood person would probably survive being stabbed in the eye as well, so long as the damage was just to the eye. But considering Saga was killed, most likely the broach hit her brain. Which even for a robotic android, damage to a positronic brain could be just as fatal as it'd be to somebody of flesh and blood.

18. Primeultra

No disrespect but I can’t accept that idea.

I sure particular levels of damage to a positronic brain could be just as fatal but You’ve got a think a positron brain would be a little bit more durable then to be so damaged as to cause death that easily by what we saw happen.....after all we seen Data take a lot of damage to his head unit

Also there’s this...
    upload_2020-3-27_3-15-24.png

....Sagas other undamaged eye, certainly looks like a “flesh and blood” looking eye....Even if it’s synthetic biomatter, then there was all the Squishy and wet sounds we heard when Agnese took the eye out, seems to me the shows creators when out of their way to give us the impression that Saga is of the flesh and blood type of android

After watching the episode I have another question, when Narek was talking about the myth of the Demons, he spoke about a time before their Ancestors arrived on Vulcan....... shouldn’t that be the other way....Before their ancestors “left” Vulcan?

Or are they hinting at something else

• Like Like x 1
  19. Primeultra

Did that relationship ever look right to you? I never figured it would last lol

20. Sparky Prime

We also saw an episode where Data got completely disabled just by cutting like 4 microscopic wires, cutting off communication from his positronic brain to the rest of his body. You'd think Data would be more durable than that. What can I say, the writers sometimes take liberties to suit the needs of the story, whether you accept the idea or not. Only the writers of this series are especially bad about that.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1