Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by pinoy78, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Except Bolians were members of the Federation with more than one of them serving in the Fleet, number of them living on Earth and their territory being a front in the Federation-Dominion war. DS9.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I’m not saying they aren’t members, ui was just asking if there has ever been a clear mention that they are

And all of that certainly strongly implies that they are

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    In the US? I thought Amazon only had it outside the United States.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They had Episode 1 of season 1 and 2 of Discovery officially on Youtube for awhile, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was something similar so they can try to get more viewers to CBS all access.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The series is being broadcast on CTV: Sci-fi in Canada, which is a standard cable network.

6. Primeultra

I’m in the US, Near Buffalo New York

But I think it’s only the first episode
    That’s good to know

Maybe it’s something I can pull up since I’m not that far away

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yep it's already up on youtube again for a limited time watch it before CBS says the time limit is up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Wait, wait wait, these refugees are ex-Tal´Shiar?

And guess I was half-right, those assassins were a black ops unit.

Boy the romulans have infiltrated Federation High command. Gee what a shame that the Federation lacks an organization dedicated to shadow wars. But that would be unethical.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  9. Primeultra

According to the comic the ones living with Picard are

Wasn’t that rather obvious with the black suits lol

Well According to the comic (canon?) those two defected

and Picard is not affiliated with the federation’s high command any more

• Like Like x 1
  10. Primeultra

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
  12. Primeultra

Well that’s because we don’t know how to take care of our toys, all we do is bitch and complain about everything we got

Sarcasm sarcasm

• Like Like x 1
  13. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Episode 2 tonight :D 

14. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I read the article. My impressions are:

Rumor: Seth wanted to buy Star Trek from Paramount and then 'walked out' of the sales meeting because Paramount was asking too much.

My Take 1: Walked out sounds overly dramatic but we have no way of knowing if that's true or not since this is all rumor.
    My Take 2: Ugh, yeah, expect to pay a lot for Star Trek. Who cares if you think its mismanaged or whatever. It's a HUUUUUUUUUGE money making franchise.
    My Take 3: This rumor post is way too hyperbolic with how its describing things.

Rumor/News: Picard was not well received in pre-screenings and is getting average/below average Metacritic scores from users and reviewers.

My Take 1: The site is using rumors to paint the narrative that Picard was doing badly before it even premiered, okay...
    My Take 2: Metacritic scores do line up. I just looked them up.
    My Take 3: I really feel the site has an axe to grind against Picard and Paramount and is trying to paint a negative light on them. I think general audiences are excited about the show. CBS already greenlit season 2 months before the premier of season 1. There isn't some big backlash against the show. So what's going on here?

I don't know. Haters gonna hate. The show is fun and it's treating the canon respectfully. I'm not a fan of all the names involved in the production of the show but that's irrelevant if the end product is good. So far, it's good (IMO).

• Like Like x 3
  15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Episode 2. I can't put my thumb on it, but I'm sure I've seen this series plot before. (Not that I don't think I have, it's a very common trope filled plot, but I think a sci-fi version of it as opposed to a noir genre version.)

The plot moves like molasses in January and there's several highly questionable plot developments, but I suppose I can say I didn't hate it. It was weak. Stupid at times. I'm completely unsold on it and will quit with one bad episode, but I didn't hate it.

16. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

OK....no one anywhere is disputing that it's a show, or make believe, or fantasy, etc. That's an absolute non sequitur. Everyone knows Star Trek is not a documentary. The point of contention is about whether or not the way of life they portray is actually workable and/or devoid of negative effects.

I doubt concerns over the environmental impact of building/changing a landscape will go away. And you still need to have untouched space, not only for the natural beauty of a place, but to maintain space between people's homes. If an entire coast of a continent is nothing but housing....seriously, WTF is that??? You have to have restrictions.

They still need credits for dealing with off world societies, the Ferengi being the most obvious example. And they still want to have things. Picard's own cabin and ready room spoke to that. Keeping books and models of old ships isn't about improving one's self. It's about one's personal feelings about an object - the desire to keep an object. That's part of the inherent aspect of humans being selfish. That's not a good or bad feeling until one's actions define it. As I have stated many times before, humans are not "basically good," we are basically selfish. It's a motivator like no other, from the womb to the grave.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Not necessarily...and for the very reason you just stated - "the romulans have infiltrated Federation High command." Holding on to purity is a surefire way to get screwed over by one's adversaries, as demonstrated here. And in many previous Treks as well. Sheep need Shepherds and Sheepdogs, otherwise the wolves will get them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Picard- "I never did care for sci-fi. I guess I just didn't get it"
    triple face palm.jpg

19. Primeultra

but how did that become a point of contention?

I was never engaged in trying to say that way of life was workable or not.I was only trying to point out what the show portrayed and how it is viewed from an in show point of view.Thats why I keep pointing out that it’s a show

I was trying hard not to get into a conversation that would Likely turn into a large debate over Economics and the state of humanity
    again im talking world of trek, they seemed to have overcame the majority of those issues between creating Environmental friendly products and the terraforming tech
    Didn’t we pretty much covered this already?
    Valuable “items” that would be either used as 1)direct tradable goods which would work when dealing with Individual merchants or cultures
    2)the gold standard Which I could see working very nicely when dealing with large market places and trading post where multiple merchants or cultures come to shop

But it didn’t speak to how they obtained those things or from where

Models of ships can be Replicated,books can be traded....If individual human Starfleet officers want to obtain things from off world markets there’s no stopping them from finding ways to obtain currency for that from outside sources

And both actions can certainly be viewed as a way to improve yourself.
    I don’t disagree with any of this, But I still don’t understand how this conversation became an examination of the human condition

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I was being ironic :p 

• Like Like x 1