Captain Marvel Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Apr 13, 2015.

1. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Okey Dokey.

This thread has been cleaned up, again.

First, a reminder on the rules.

1. No Insults, Trolling, Flaming, Name Calling, Harassing, Etc.
    We will not tolerate insults, excessive profanity or throwing a topic off course. Use of racial, bigoted, sexist, or discriminatory terms or phrases is not accepted. Posts intended solely to antagonize others are not accepted. Keep topics/posts where they belong. Generally, “play nice”.

3. No Politics, Religion or Abortion
    This includes signatures, user titles and avatars. Political jokes and links to news stories with a political nature are also off limits.

13. No Disruptive Posting or Flamebaiting
    Do not purposely post anything which will cause another member (or members) to react negatively. This is subjective. The TFW2005 staff will evaluate the trend of posts made by those consistently being reported or those that are repeatedly involved with arguments on the site. If their overall method or content of posting leads to staff attention repeatedly, we reserve the right to warn, infract and/or ban accordingly.

Additionally, Spoilers are ALLOWED, as long as they are hidden behind spoiler tags.

This thread is for discussing the Captain Marvel film. You all know this. The psudo-political jabs and baiting aren't going to be tolerated. This movie can be discussed without the politics surrounding it overtaking it.

You have all been warned, a few have been warned personally. Thread Bans WILL be the next course of action, followed by the appropriate routes past that.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You know, I've just began reading the Masterworks collections of Carol's original Ms. Marvel book, and she keeps referencing a "seventh sense" power that so far seems to function like Spider-Sense (I'm only up to issue five where she fights Vision). Is that close to what you're referring to?

3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A lot of it is the current crap crop of writers Marvel employs. They couldn't write a relatable character if they tried. Most of the characters these days sound like they are a part of the Scooby Gang.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Yes and also folks kind of expected Wonder Woman to be bad because all the DCEU movies up to that point were bad. So I think that tamped down some of the potential criticism.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Not really. Cosmic awareness was something specific to Marv and his kids, not something other Kree possessed. It was given to him by the cosmic entity Eon.

[​IMG]

Kind of, but it was more a connection to... being in touch with everything in the universe

Wellllll... you say that, but someone like Busiek, whose Avengers run was universally lauded by aging longtime fans and is often held up as the example of how Carol should be written, didn't exactly write characters any more relatable. Less, if anything. They were recognizably heroic, but not recognizably human. Whereas what we have now kind of leans in the opposite direction. And the way he wrote Carol's alcoholism read like a cliched joke told by someone who has never drank a drop of anything harder than sarasparilla and never even seen anyone who drank except on a very special episode of Family Ties. So I kind of reject that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok how so many times this thread gets cleaned up? :lol 

For me I expected this movie to be in line with Ant-Man level of success.
    Average at best. But not game changing or revolutionary.
    I mean there are moments that I need to watch an MCU film for the sake of getting the meat of the entire MCU Plot hence the Infinity Saga.

MCU's blueprint is like Hasbro's Build-A-Figure scheme in their Marvel Legends line. Like the individual MCU films are the action figures. And the BAF figure is the MCU's main plot. The thing with the "action figures", not all are impressive and they are mixed with 2 to 3 "filler / not so good figures". Same thing for the individual movies. Not all are great individual films and the not so great films are there for you to get the "BAF Part" of the MCU's main plot.

I haven't watched the film yet.
    I hope Captain Marvel will be as fun as Ant-Man at least.
    I mean Ant-Man for me was an exemption coz he's a "Wild Card" character now after "The Snap".
    If Captain Marvel will be a "Wild Card" as Ant-Man, I guess it's much better.

• Like Like x 3
  7. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 Banned

News Credits:
    This movie is gonna be amazing :cool: 

• Like Like x 2
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I hope so. So far, this movie seems more promising to me than DC's Captain Marvel movie, but I'm rooting for both of them. They are both characters I would really like to see do well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    I guess but Doctor Strange is a lot better in Infinity War if you watched Doctor Strange. The solo movies make the larger films better by character building you don’t get in the ensemble flicks. The solo movies also vary wildly. Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Ragnarok are all better than the Avengers and AoU. So this could be Black Panther or it could be Ant Man. I don’t get the prejudging films it seems asinine there is plenty of time to shit on something AFTER you’ve seen it.

10. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    MCU Playlist: '80s and '90s Edition

• Like Like x 1
  11. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

I don't miss her space Spider-sense much, and I'm a big fan of Marvel's cosmic characters! I guess it makes more sense on a character like the Surfer, or a Captain Marvel who's equipped with the Nega-bands. I'm happy enought that Carol has the intuition of a seasoned pilot to get her through.

12. SparkPlug24

Am I the only one who wishes there was a bit more grunge or post-punk in there? A Pixies song would have been nice, but I was happy to hear REM.

13. SparkPlug24

Do I have to put Easter eggs behind spoiler tags? I think these are minor spoilers that won't ruin someone's enjoyment of the plot twists.

Ah well, I'll hide them anyway:
    • The classic white and green Kree uniform is seen, in a way.
    • Star Force visits planet Torfa early on.
    • Maria Rambeau is confirmed to have a daughter named Monica.
    • Goose is actually a Flerken-cat. A Fler-kitty!
    • Lieutenant Trouble appears as well!

14. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    After months of anticipation, Captain Marvel is upon us. But is it what we hoped for? Not really. At most, Captain Marvel is a full feature-length filler that tries too hard to make people remember the '90s - from Blockbuster Video to AltaVista to grunge music. The first half is a major slow burn that struggles to make Carol Danvers a relevant character. At the same time, the film shows the origins of Nick Fury and Phil Coulson, as well as how...

Fury lost his left eye.

Also, the re-appearance of Ronan the Accuser and Korath is almost irrelevant to this film.

On a positive note, the real stand-out performance in the film is by none other than Goose the cat.

In short, Captain Marvel is a rare misstep in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's not the worst in the franchise, but it just lacks the replay value of majority of the other MCU films.

Rating: C

Marvel Cinematic Universe
    1. Avengers: Infinity War
    2. The Avengers
    3. Iron Man
    4. Captain America: Civil War
    5. Guardians of the Galaxy
    6. Captain America: The First Avenger
    7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    8. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    9. Black Panther
    10. Doctor Strange
    11. Thor: Ragnarok
    12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    13. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    14. Ant-Man
    15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    16. Thor
    17. Iron Man 3
    18. Captain Marvel
    19. The Incredible Hulk
    20. Thor: The Dark World
    21. Iron Man 2

15. SparkPlug24

I feel like this review is too harsh, and missing the point of the film. I'm not buying a ticket for a movie featuring prior Kree characters, or a film prominently set in the 90s. Setting and cameo characters are secondary here to the debut of Carol Danvers in film!

I'm still giddy after catching the premier, but I think the film is a well-executed adaptation of Kelly Sue deConnick's reboot of Ms. Marvel into Captain Marvel. Strong character points from that run that made their way into the film plot include Carol's female mentor, her friendships, and her stance towards the Kree war/invasion.

In my personal ranking of solo films, it's on par with the Ant-Men but still above Doctor Strange. Captain Marvel definitely deserves better than a C! But that's still totally your opinion, man.

16. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Ranking Captain America: The First Avenger over Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, Black Panther and Guardians V2? OK...

17. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's my ranking, not yours. Do you have a problem with that?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Yes. What're you going to do about it?

But seriously, I'm just surprised at that opinion.

19. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That's a question you should ask yourself.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is it true that Fury loses his eye
    to Goose?

• Like Like x 1