Captain Marvel Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    It looks like vials of Kree blood maybe? Reminds me of what I think was a dissected Kree on Agents of SHIELD. Hmm.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Ah, thanks! :thumb 

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    What I'm hearing is formulaic meh plot
    No real surprises
    The character is a Mary sue over powered character (Even Grace Randolf called her that) and compared her to Rey, said end of movie as bad as 3rd act battle in the force awakens everything just happens and comes easy for her. Suffers because she doesn't even take the opponents seriously.
    Movie somewhat devoid of emotion.
    She's trying too hard to be Robert Downy Jr.
    Some of the Nostalgia is fun
    Something kind of interesting there but half baked.
    No big reveals, nothing that makes you have to see for End Game,
    Fury and Coleson as well as Monica more interesting characters.
    Rest of the kree not in it much and often given nothing to do
    Mendelson is really good
    Captain Feminism the movie (Again that was a quote from Grace Randolf)
    Okay movie but not amazing, you can see most of what is coming from the trailers,

and this was by people who gave the movie a positive score. I'm just quoting what they said

Sounds like it will be okay to watch but it's more of a Force Awakens style movie but nowhere near as bad as Last Jedi. But again seems to be pushing a message over trying to have a good story.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    That's a problem with a lot of reviews in general (or at least, the people who read those reviews). Take for example the "7.5 too much water" meme in the Pokemon fandom: 7.5 was actually a really good score for a mediocre remake of a Pokemon game but Pokemon fans are under the impression that anything below 8 is a bad score and so their juvenile complaints about a 7.5 actually achieved meme status.

6/10 is a passing grade by normal standards and that's what Rotten Tomatoes keeps track of. Passes and Failures.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    No prob, though I’m far from certain. That could easily be
    Tesseract fruit punch for all I know.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I find it very difficult to take people calling Captain Marvel a Mary-Sue seriously (especially when compared to Rey). Of course she was going to be accused of being a Mary Sue by virtue of being a female character with very strong super powers.

• Like Like x 3
  7. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

If so, then movie is really sitting somewhere between 80 and 75, and it seems likely as the score keeps dropping on RT, which makes it Good to Average, and I don't think Disney doesn't wants to have an "Average" in between Infinity War and End Game.

That's pretty much something even those who have gave a positive review have clearly stated.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  8. WWMEGATRON

The problem with this Capt. Marvel is the one fans have come to hate with a passion - in fact she has been rebooted 7 times in 5 years do to poor sales. It seems many wanted Monica Rambeau, the 2nd Capt Marvel and the first female to really carry the name, to be brought back, and she is an Afro-American. If Disney wanted to make a statement in wake of the surprising success of Black Panther, why not continue that trend to test the waters a bit and have the Previous version of CM fans remember fondly (Monica) rather than the version that has failed to connect with them for half a decade?

Is this decision that have some flabbergasted that Disney went with the unpopular version rather than more liked one.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Probably not, but imagine how much more excited we'd be for/after watching Endgame after a potentially "dull" movie? :D  No? Hey man I'm just trying to stay positive here...

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's because this is the first Marvel move where a critic has to be VERY careful to justify and clearly spell out any criticism, or risk being labeled, ostracized, etc.

Before, if someone didn't like a movie, they could just say that and move on. A lot of the Marvel movies are mediocre. The vast majority of them. They're entertaining but forgettable, substanceless fluff. Someone could say Ant-Man was mediocre and receive no backlash. But for this movie, you better be able to explain yourself clearly.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I think that goes both ways in regards to being positive about the movie that was being accused of being evil feminist propaganda before even the first trailer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WWMEGATRON

That would be hilarious, but if the worst case scenario were to happen (an Average) Disney may be force to put the suppose reshoot ending for End Game rumor that has pop up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

And yet nobody complained about Wonder Woman nor Alita as far as I can tell

• Like Like x 4
  14. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    From what I can tell, those characters are well liked. Carol Danvers in recent year, not so much, from what I’ve seen.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    People are being blissfully forgetful about Wonder Woman, it got tonnes of nonsense pre-release but even then, she's not really comparable to Captain Marvel. Wonder Woman is a character who has been around for much longer than most other superheroes, is one of the Big 3 of the company, was being introduced very early in the DCEU, was being introduced into the DCEU (which had been defined by terrible movies until that time), was part of a team that included Superman (and therefore was never going to be the strongest) and is the first user of the Wonder Woman name.

Alita is... who gives a shit? Seriously. It was Alita. Even saying that, she was not being introduced to an already existing film franchise or rebooting a male-dominated film franchise so it's a stupid comparison to make.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

It seems like it’s just an average Marvel movie. It’s not a Thor 2 or IM 2 but it’s not Winter Soldier or an offbeat blast like GotG 1 or Thor 3.

And it will make enough money for Marvel to be happy. Please, just move on. Ugh!

I’m set to see it on Saturday and I don’t expect to be wowed but I look forward to it. I watch all Marvel movies.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Admiral Prime

Admiral Prime Broken Faucet Repairman

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its normal for most movies to start at Thursday night nowadays, its usually called Preview Night. Most new movies start at 7PM on Thursday; some start at 5PM but those that start at that time are usually kids movies.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I must be one of the only people who likes Carol Danvers more now than back when she was just Bathing Suit Woman. Much more.

The only thing I think she lacks in terms of being a Captain Marvel is not having cosmic awareness like Marv, Genis or Phyla. Cosmic awareness is the most interesting aspect of any Captain Marvel's abilities, imo, but has never been used to its potential, mostly because of the era and relative lack of sophistication of the comics it came from. It was an idea people like Starlin, Englehart or Moench couldn't really fully deliver on in 1970s comics. Peter David was able to do a little more with it in the 1990s. Hickman did something similar I liked with a different character, Captain Universe, in his Avengers run. But I'm getting off track.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Could that stem from her being only half Kree?