Can You Upgrade Dell Computers CPU

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Jun 2, 2009.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

so i'll be getting a Intel Core 2 Extreme chip in a few days...and was trying to see which route to go on building it. Either build one myself or get a dell/something and upgrade the chip. Its about the same only because Windows is expensive :( 

does anyone know if the boards Dell (etc) uses is set to the CPU you choose or is it like normal motherboards, where its supports various CPUs. the Sony Vaio i have right now is a 2.2Ghz P4 but it can be upgraded to a 2.4Ghz P4 chip.

oh yeah, the dell i was looking at was the XPS 630.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    In the past, I know that Dell BIOS used to go nuts if the processor was changed.
    I don't know if that is still the case, but I would advise you to just get a new motherboard.

3. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I'd be wary of swapping the chip out, as Smasher stated the Bios could freak out, or they could maybe use a motherboard that won't be compatible with whatever you buy, even if it noramlly would be.

If the Windows cost is the difference, maybe just go with the Windows 7 RC for now, then just buy the retail later this year or early next. Been using the RC for a while now and it's definitely good enough for daily use, though on the off chance you do encounter a problem the support won't be there for it.

4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I'm surprised to even hear the question about upgrading a processor. Both Intel and AMD change their sockets so fast these days and even within that short window something changes enough that an early board won't work with a later chip. At any rate, you would notice no difference between 2.2ghz and 2.4ghz or whatever chips you intend to swap. And if you put Vista or 7 on a PC that's borderline to start with, too slow is still going to be too slow.

I would also advise against Dell, and sometimes HP, because they often have components that aren't interchangeable and so you pay a hideous markup for their replacement parts. I have a dead HP tablet that I can't even read the drive of because the convertor cables and dock (if they're even available now) were over $200. And if you think it's hard finding a Socket A fan or AGP video card, just wait until you have to replace something that shipped with just 3 Dell models 5 years ago.

Computers in general are becoming too much like appliances, in that the failure of one cheaply-built component often forces you to throw the entire machine away and buy another.

5. OmegaScourge

its not the 2.2Ghz i plan on swapping out...i just brought it up cause my current computer (the Sony Vaio) was/is able to upgrade to at least a 2.4Ghz so i was wondering if Dells were the same way.

that XPS 630 is a core 2 duo...which is a socket 775...and most socket 775 motherboards i've seen can handle core 2 duo/quad/extreme chips.

sucks that i cant find out what the actual motherboard is so i can research. But from what i've read (here and other places) it would be best just to build one in my case.

6. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

dell used to be decent, i have a friend who worked for dell for a while, he said once they got big, they just started thowring parts in and shipping out, half the time they get a shipment of mobos in one day, and just thorw them in any computer that needs one, as long as it fits the processor, it is shipped out. even a computer that is the same model number as another, has completely different mobos and parts.

7. OmegaScourge

i guess i just made up my mind...im building it...time to see where the best place to get the parts (so far, Frys Electronics look the best)

thanks for all the comments.

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i've always built my own, and it's always an ongoing process. i bought a barebones system about 6 years ago and started with that, adding stuff here and there, replacing things every now and then, and the only things remaining from the original system now are the speakers, one of the harddrives, and a 3.5" floppy drive that i still have just for the sake of having it. as far as i'm concerned it's a constant process.

9. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Might also want to check Newegg for parts as well. They have a large variety of parts and what seem to be resonable prices. Building a computer shouldn't be too hard, just make sure you get the right sized case and PSU for the components,

10. OmegaScourge

i've build at least a few...but the last one i've build was during the Pentium 4 days.

i use newegg for customer reviews...see whats good/bad/etc.