Can You help Me Understand?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PrimalMotive, Apr 27, 2020.

1. PrimalMotive

PrimalMotive Machinima's super-star!

Instagram:
    I know, well everyone knows that Authentics/Rescue Bots/Cyberverse are made for kids.
    CHUG and Studio Series are made for us.
    So why can't Hasbro up the price a bit more for some higher quality figures? Don't get me wrong, I love how the WFC Trilogy is improving the plastic and paint and overall qc, but it still irks me a bit to see how some figures still have gaps in their body. I don't mean to appear ungrateful, but why can someone really explain to me why their are still thigh gaps in figures? I know there are gap fillers and upgrade kits but come on, you all know you are a bit annoyed that your figures still have those empty spaces at this time. I know, i know, Hastak does this as cost cutting measures and that if I have a problem, go buy masterpiece and I do have Masterpiece figures, but what about the collector's who can't afford the the rising price of masterpiece? Will those collectors constantly have to buy upgrade kits? Hopefully Hasbro improves all their figures so that there won't be those small gripes. What do you guys think?
    P.S. THESE QUESTIONS ARE IN NO WAY MEANT TO BE UNGRATEFUL. I JUST WANT YOUR OPINION AND THOUGHTS ON THIS.

• Like Like x 3
  2. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Please don't assume to know how I feel. That drives me crazy. I really couldn't care less about gaps and to this day I have never bought a gap filler kit and never will.

• Like Like x 26
  3. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  4. PrimalMotive

PrimalMotive Machinima's super-star!

Instagram:
    If you don't mind those gaps, well more power to you

What are your opinions, dear friend?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2020
  5. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Things have improved some with WFC on the hollow parts front, and they may continue to do so. But, it will likely be accompanied by continued price increases. They are trying to improve the figures and keep them affordable as well, but, it’s a balancing act for them. Truth be told, though, thigh gaps have always been present on one level or another and will continue to be present on these regular retail releases.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat That's what you say when someone kicks the...

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    So I think you’re on the right track but want to clarify something. Authentics/rescuebots/cyberverse are meant for younger kids and generations is meant for older kids and masterpiece is meant for “Japanese*” adult collectors. What you’re talking about wanting is something along the lines of the power rangers lightning collection. I agree 100% that something like that should exist. Sadly I think hasbro sees the chug line as just that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In stock

News Credits:
    I guess I'm conditioned to know what to expect from mainline Hasbro, so the gaps don't bother me enough that I feel the need to buy fillers, but it's pretty glaring on some figures when I see pictures posted on TFW repeatedly, like Siege Impactor's legs.

I did in fact buy fillers for my Siege IDW Impactor, and after that, I had buyer's remorse and wish I had just put the money towards MMC Spartan instead.

I generally won't buy a figure I know is bad enough for me personally that requires buying a 3rd party kit to make it tolerable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reygn

Reygn Banned

It's a necassary sacrifice for higher quality engineering and build.

9. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This question has already been debated to death though, and the question of "I would be happy to spend another 1-3$ more per figure to have Hasbro fill those gaps" does end up being answered with "they have already more than DOUBLED the price".

In just the last 3 years, Deluxes went from 12$, then 15$, then 20$, and are now 30$ in my country.

The plastic quality was fine for a long time, and it was some particular figures that ended up getting the harder more brittle type, and eventually, they used that crap on almost everything during the CW, POTP, with once in a while, you'd get one that was the better stuff. Siege started off great with several figures with very little gaps (Seekers, OP being probably the best figures of the line for this). I do find that it's not the best plastic that they've ever used, but close, and great that they finally did return to better quality plastic.

Earthrise seems to follow this approach, as I do find that ER Prime is very good, but not 100% as good as Siege OP plastic...

I find that Hasbro does a bit of "bait and switch", as the gaps on some figures are simply horrible.

I know that there are some fans that live by the motto that "Hasbro can't do anything wrong", but while I'm still buying the figures now, I do aim for sales and such, as I have had to buy the 3rd party gap fillers or make some myself, something that shouldn't have to happen, the thing is, once I manage to get the few more figures that I do want as part of my collection, I will be very done with Hasbro aside the occasional figure that will manage to pull me in (like before).

Note that I do not have any interest in the Masterpieces, as it's not what I'm looking for, which is toys to play and fiddle with, and I do enjoy the "normal" lines just fine, but the gaps, the cheap plastic, the lack of accessories, are what is killing my interest bit by bit, and to think that "a few more dollars to the price" could solve this... is a lack of understanding that Hasbro has people that simply wants to make a maximum of profit and screw the designs, the lacks in the figures that could make a good figure into a great one.

Plastic is now cheaper than it was not that long ago, the manufacturing is cheaper than ever, the development is probably a quarter of the effort that it used to be just a few years ago, with today's computers, modelling software that's getting better and better every year, 3d printing of prototypes, etc. better tech to create better molds, etc.

I could have understood going from 12-15$ to 20$.. but at 30$, deluxes are way overpriced. (note that the same applies to Voyagers that went from 20-25$ to 40$, and Leaders from 30-40$ to 70$), so no, they shouldn't have to ask for more money to fix anything at these prices, they simply shouldn't be this cheap. And note that their financial reports are showing that they are making a LOT of profit and TFs are most certainly a good part of that.

Lastly.. note my signature, it's been a pet peeve for me for a while now...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  10. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    0427201217.jpg
    Woah look, Classics Starscream, one of the most popular deluxes of recent times, has a hollow thigh and a big gap in the side of his chest. And they didn't bother including a panel to cover up the hollow area where his hand goes in jet mode.

This isn't a new issue that popped up overnight. It is what it is. Deluxes being $20 is a bigger dealbreaker for me than a few little empty spaces here and there. Adding $5 or so to fix a problem we've had since the beginning of Classics will price me out entirely.

• Like Like x 13
  11. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I do think the mistake is thinking kids wouldn't want to buy CHUG or Studio Series.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    If you want overpriced figures buy MP and you'll still complain.
    Hasbro downed the quality and upped the price to give us the mess that was siege.
    I'm glad things are getting better with Earthrise.
    And for the love of God, stop clickbaiting.

13. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be honest, this is where I stopped reading because the answer is simple. People bitched enough about deluxes going up to $20 that you seriously expect them to not throw entitled temper tantrums if the price went even higher?

• Like Like x 7
  14. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The gaps aren't that noticeable, as the figure is a fairly "lump" of a figure... almost all figures have had gaps, many due to transformation, and that's understandable to a point. But take Impactor for an example, where the legs are 100% empty for no reason, looks terrible and makes the figure seem like a shampoo bottle level of KO.

Note that you can use that one for another important point to the "cheapness" of Hasbro of late... look at his weapons... multi-parts assembled and with spring loaded missiles, and not ultra cheap mono-mold pieces of plastics.

It's just a question of a few panels to close the gaps that take away so much from some figures...

Look at the difference some simple panels do..

Soundwave's arms/hands panel.. a super simple panel with an hinge, makes the figure look complete and much better:
    DSC05261.JPG

Ultra Magnus, same thing, fill up at least those shoulder parts and it's like a whole different scale of quality, something that a figure like this, just a few years ago, would have been done right:
    DSC05178 - Copy.JPG

Weapons! why the heck is Hasbro selling figures without weapons or accessories?
    DSC05569.JPG
    DSC05550.JPG DSC05555.JPG

Can't even do a proper sized trailer, and no freaking Roller?
    DSC05448.JPG

More gaps that you can't miss seeing, that a few simple panels can help make the figure so much better and not so cheap looking? Hasbro, where's your pride? in your wallet?
    DSC05596.JPG

And I'm not even touching the cheapness of the lack in proper paint for almost all figures.

To me, the point is: fine.. the price increased.. not great but at least the plastic is better, but it's the gaps, the cheap weapons (if any), the lack of paint... that should not happen, and should have been "covered" by this 100%+ price increase.

I'm not complaining so much about the price, but that for that increase, we should NOT have this level of cheapness in many of these figures.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Reygn

Reygn Banned

I don't know what you're talking about. Siege and WFC in general is well known to be Hasbro's best CHUG line in forever. Not every figure is perfect, with some being questionable at best, but the vast majority are better than their predecessors.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Do I ever shut up?

News Credits:
    A New Design - Made with PosterMyWall.jpg

Honestly, I think we are in the Goldilocks zone in that the premier size class is the same price as most other 6 inch lines w/ high quality.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generations is essentially the transformers equivalent to marvel legends or power rangers lightning collection, even down to packaging and prices

• Like Like x 5
  18. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Do I ever shut up?

News Credits:
    Hasbro has perfect the art of the Retail 6-inch line :D 

• Like Like x 4
  19. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    TBH I really don't see the difference. Those Siege figures you have didn't wow me before and some panel fillers don't improve them at all. If you hadn't pointed them out I wouldn't even have noticed. If it works for you I'm happy but it's not a big deal for me one way or the other.

• Like Like x 1
  20. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

I don't mind hollow thighs (like on Siege Spinister and many others) because it gives them a kinda cool skeletal look, but I can't stand forearm gaps (like on Siege megatron) or leg gaps (like on Earthrise Wheeljack). The big ones bug me, the little ones don't bother me, I guess. I didn't buy Siege Soundwave until the Shockwave's lab kit came out because I was so frustrated with his forearm gaps. I can look past them if the figure is good enough, but I will always perseverate over the gaps. I feel like they kinda ruin some good figures.

• Like Like x 1