Can you have a realistic emotional relationship with a Human and a robot ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    I did send off a lock request, but seeing as how the argument's been mostly resolved, I think we're okay.

2. RogueWriter

RogueWriter Member

I don't even see how that is necessary. Honestly sending a Lock Off request at this juncture smacks of simply not wanting to be challenged. While I will concede that the subject matter has gone a bit off topic, it's none the less a valid debate. I do think it would be in everyone's best interests to maintain a state of calm while discussing this and refrain from using CAPS to try to hammer home a point. People can read normal text.

From what I've seen those against the idea of a romantic relationship appear to prefer blunt force as opposed to simple discussion. If both sides could take a breath and approach they're respective standpoints logically there's no reason this subject can not continue to be debated. I, for one, have sent a request for the thread to not be locked. Again, however, I do think some attempt needs to be made to keep the topic focused, i.e. relationships between a human and a machine (Cybertronian, etc.) and not necessarily just Jack and Arcee.

Addendum: Also, I wouldn't go so far as to say the argument has been "resolved." In point of fact it's very much still open as both sides have presented opinions and observations that can be debated.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  3. Gamma Ray Burst

Gamma Ray Burst Well-Known Member

I've been lurking for a while, but have been reluctant to join in because of the contempt and outright hostility I've seen in topics like this one. If I said that I happen to think "Jack x Arcee" might make an interesting story, I'd half expect someone to act like they'd just caught me fucking a jar of microwaved peanut butter. But what the hell, here goes nothing.

I won't repeat arguments that have already been made several times, but will just say that (regarding a Jack/Arcee romance) I simply think it'd make an interesting story. That's all. I couldn't shake the idea out of my head, so I ended up writing it out. Had severe writer's block at the time, so that helped me break through it, at least.

And before anyone suggests that I need to see a psychiatrist, I do not have the characters humping it out at any point. I actually find that sort of relationship more compelling because they can't take it that far. So I'm not into it for some sort of "Ohhh, robot-on-human HNNNNNGG! @[email protected]" thing.

I don't see the show going in that direction, but oh well. I just think it'd be an interesting subject to explore. That's all.

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

As I've said countless times, bolding words is a preference of mine. I am perfectly calm right now.

I was absolutely polite and calm across the entire discussion, I still wonder how can people so easily become convinced I am a demon who trolls and uses blunt force when I'm actually the voice of reason in most discussions I'm in.

Guess the "Overlord" name attracts bad luck.

5. RogueWriter

RogueWriter Member

Sadly, I think that is, perhaps, the reason the very idea has such a stigma attached to it. There is this, sadly, myopic viewpoint that two characters *must* engage in sex to have a romantic relationship and that intercourse is the corner stone of a romance. Perhaps in some corners of the world that are closed minded this is the case, but for those living in the modern era one can have a deep, almost spiritual bond with romantic overtones (i.e. time spent alone, speaking of personal matters not spoken with others, deep sense of possession, love) without engaging in acts of intimacy. I do agree that it would make for an interesting and complex direction in the character narrative. I understand that others don't agree, as is they're right.

6. Wackko300

Wackko300 Transformers fan

Thanks. Good point.:) 

7. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

I'll just say in regards to the size and *ahem* "compatiblity" issues mentioned weren't the Beast Wars Transformers part organic and roughly human sized? So umm it might be possible and there are always Pretender and Synthoid bodies they could use...just saying.

And I think it's completely possible for deep friendships and yes even romantic relationships to form between TFs and humans.

Heck Sci Fi and Fantasy lives for that stuff.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Armitage III - Television Tropes & Idioms

An excellent example of how this idea is pulled off, admitedly with a scale humanoid robot rather than something the size of a Cybertronian, but it can be done.

9. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    I feel that I don't have to go into further discussion on how I believe there is definitely something between Arcee and Jack, whether romantic or emotional. I'd rather much discuss whether or not the writers will no longer fear Hasbro and write what they believe is there, too, if they haven't already.

10. Takun

Takun strongbad_email.exe

Ebay:
    I'll admit, I just went ahead and skipped from the first page to here, so Im not too familiar with the "arguments' and what not that's been going on in this thread...

That said, it's been theorised that in reality, in a few short years, people will be "able to fall in love with robots." I'm not talking about Apple programming Siri to answer "I love you" with "I bet you say that to all your apple products", but really, how many times have you you seen someone form an attachment to something like say, a car or an appliance? Sometimes people can become really attached to things. Take it the next step, I suppose it's all too possible for someone to become hooked on an automaton. As for an "emotional relationship" between them, well, there's not much in the way of programmed emotions really. (Otherwise we're in danger of Bubblegum Crisis / Terminator happening, haha.)

In the meantime, check out these bits of news:

Future marriage to robots.
    Japanese man marries video game character.

11. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

realistic? no, because humans have never had a serious emotional relationship with a robot before and neither have any robots. so taking that into account what one might define as realistic another.

12. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

You see Takun, that is hilarious for me: Can you imagine the term "Robophopic" being applied to us in the future? Those backwater old men who can't conveice the relationship between a man and his clanker :lol 

That would be, by far, the most hilarious future ever.

13. Takun

Takun strongbad_email.exe

Ebay:
    Lol. While I never saw it, I once read the description for Christine on cable - a boy is seduced by a car. I thought ".... is that the term they wanna use?" Mind you, we have a few fun things already nowadays, inalienable rights and all that. I still remember Jon Stewart's Daily Show summing up the federal judgeships:

People who'se opinions run from the right, "Jesus says retarted gays must be put to death", to the left, "Man-on-pumpkin sex is an inalienable right and should be tought to children".

Hope I didnt nick anyone off with that qoute, lol.

14. prime roller

prime roller 昔者莊周夢為胡蝶⋯

News Credits:
    This whole human romantic/love relationship with a Transformer thing -- seems all good to me! I think of it as we see it depicted on Star Trek. There are certain things that might make it a challenge, but like dating cross-culturally, people working around/through these difficulties is nothing new.

I find what a lot of people get stuck on is the sex issue. Like other problems, if this is one that you couldn't compromise/figure something out then the relationship wouldn't work for you, but that's not to say it wouldn't for others.

I find the comments saying that this kind of thing would be 'gross' and 'weird' seem not very accepting/open-minded. I can't help think of how old and outdated those same feelings toward gay relationships and interracial relationships are today, and I can quite naturally apply the same logic and line of thinking toward accepting this [as yet] imagined possible future situation of relationships with other sentient beings. Does it really matter morally if the person is from a different land or a different world?

My point is -- I'd hang with a robo-alien, and wouldn't deny feelings of love if they occurred. Hopefully the differences in our thinking and cultures would be workable.

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Control key + C = (copy)
    Control key + V = (paste)

16. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    If you can find a writer with the skill to execute it well, then anything is possible.

17. Megatron1

Megatron1 Decepticon LEADER

Interspecies dating worked for Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy:
    [​IMG]

So, why would it NOT work for humans and robots.

18. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^
    Megatron is encouraging bots and humans to get freaky so that we'd be distracted from the Decepticon threat! Do not believe his lies!

19. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    :lolol 

20. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    Stay on topic with serious comments, people. No need to get this thread locked because of *looks at Snark's comment* unique comments.