Can you answer my Cable TV - Comcast Xfinity question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gabumon, Nov 12, 2016.

1. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    I feel dumb asking, but when I tried to ask comcast support they didn't really give me a straight answer. so maybe I can ask here?

I have (just got it) "basic" channels. Most of them look like local broadcast TV.. BUT... why does the Menu show all sorts of other shows? Can't I just see what's available to me? without all the other stuff.. even adult .. stuff? I haven't tried it, but maybe if I use the "channel+/-" does it stay in my basic channels or does it go to channels I don't even have?

To add to the confusion if I go on xfinity TV app I can SEE ALL SORTS of channels that aren't in my basic plan. And I even watched a TNT movie and part of a Cartoon Network show. (will I be billed a pay per view for those non plan viewings on the app?)

So what's up? do I not have basic or do I? even their customer support didn't know.

So sorry, it's not TF and it seems like such a silly question.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

As a former cable company employee (tech support), I imagine that they don't customize the guide to anyone. You can see everything that's on tv at that time, but won't be able to watch it unless you subscribe to those channels. My own service, I can see all the premium movie channels but if I try to watch one, it tells me that I'm not authorized to view it. It could also be a way to entice you to subscribe to those channels one day.

3. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

You can select your fav channels (channels you actual have or just the ones you want to watch), and then just go to your favs list menu when you're channel surfing.

That's what I do.

4. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Your guide should have at least "hide unsubscribed channels".

I know some companies have "edit channel list" in their menu which should give access only to the ones you have chosen when you're surfing up or down.

It's a common tech question. I don't know why that rep couldn't answer that for you.

5. gabumon

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. But how can you explain the TV App letting me watch non-plan shows? I'm thinking I'm either on a temporary promo, or I'm gonna be charged extra.

6. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Just like with the IncredibleHulk, I used to work at a cable company. If your service was recently installed, you could have a brand new box. Sometimes those boxes are what's called, "open." This means you get to see everything even if there's content you didn't order or subscribe to. However, their system should soon be sending a signal to the box that tells the box what level of service you're subscribed to. Once that happens, all the shows you're able to see (that you're not subscribed to or paying for) should stop being viewable and you'll have an error or message pop up on the screen when you try to access those channels. I've had a customer once say they were viewing it for a better part of a year before it went out. He literally thought he was supposed to have all those channels when he wasn't. He had free premium stuff...for free. Then again, you can always look on your bill to verify what you're being billed for. I'm not surprised that Comcast isn't as helpful as they should be. They have horrible customer service, and even worse for tech support.

7. gabumon

News Credits:
    thanks for the info.

but can anyone explain the xfinity ipad/iphone app? seems like I can watch anything non-plan for free??

8. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

If it's from the provider, it's subscription based.

Basically, these apps are TV on the go.

9. gabumon

News Credits:
    i get that its TV on the Go, but my plan only includes the basic channels. why am I allowed to watch out-of-plan shows on the app?

10. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Well, if you're able to browse it through the cable box, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to see it through the app. Wait a bit. Their system should send your equipment (the ones you're renting from them) an updated signal that tell it what level of service you're subscribed to, and that should fix it. If not, try talking to their tech support again and see if they can't "fix" it. Provided you talk to someone who isn't incompetent, or hating their life because they're working there....or something.

11. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Good luck with that :lol 

12. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    You know there's some truth to that :lol 

13. gabumon

News Credits:
    That's the thing: I can't watch these shows on my cable box (because they aren't in my plan), but I can watch them on the iOS apps. Just worried they're gonna slap me with a big "on demand usage" bill.

14. gabumon

News Credits:
    Update: I think I see more shows on the ipad on demand because my basic plan includes their "Streampix" feature. Dunno if that is a definitive answer, but maybe it will help someone else.