Can we ditch the AllSpark for a while?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by ZombehDino, Jan 21, 2021.

1. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    Not sure if this is a hot take, but I can't shake this thought and I can't be alone in feeling this.

Since the first Bay movie in 2007, the AllSpark has been one of the most perennial story elements in Transformers media. I mean hell, Hasbro named their film production company after it. It was a key plot point in Animated, it showed up at the tail end of Prime, it was again a major concept in Cyberverse, and even the WFC show focuses heavily on it. It keeps coming back, and yet... I think it often feels boring and contrived.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why it was introduced: sometimes a MacGuffin is exactly what you need to anchor a wacky and fantastical story in the mind of an audience. That said, to me the AllSpark is severely overused these days and it rarely makes stories more interesting. The characters' attempts to find it (since it's always somehow lost) feel more like obligations than anything, and it doesn't provide much in the way of intriguing or fun motivation. Megatron wants it to do evil, so we've gotta get it before he does. Wahoo. I genuinely don't think we need an impetus for the Autobots and Decepticons to leave Cybertron beyond energon scarcity and the planet simply being ravaged by war.

The AllSpark is also very nebulous in function. Apparently it's a power source, that can bring Transformers to life? But it's so powerful that it can also overload and kill Transformers? And it's sometimes the life source for Cybertron itself? It can also brainwash Transformers? I get that it's supposed to be somewhat mystical in nature and we aren't meant to fully understand how it works, but its grab-bag list of abilities add to it feeling like a storytelling crutch rather than something that actually adds to the action.

As the title already spelled out, I'd like to see the AllSpark retired from Transformers cartoons, at least for a little while. I think it would force writers to get a bit more creative about the stories they tell. I was ecstatic when the AllSpark didn't appear in the Bumblebee movie at all, mainly because it let the story focus on the character dynamics rather than another relic hunt. Imagine that! I doubt my wish will come true anytime soon, but what do y'all think? Again, I don't think I'm the only one with this opinion but I'd also like to hear from those who disagree.

• Like Like x 19
  2. TonyStink

TonyStink AKA Deinotron the Terrible

YouTube (Old):
    YES, WE CAN.
    TFP only had it in the end.

It's just that Hasbro will keep things status quo (possibly) because they think it will make them the money.

• Like Like x 6
  3. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm a little tired of the Allspark (and plot devices in general) as well.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Soundlips

Soundlips Yes, they are real

THANK YOU, I HAVE BEEN DYING FOR SOMEONE TO SAY THIS.

I am so tired of the All-Spark somehow being the gold standard. It was an interesting idea at first, but now it has become incredibly tiresome and so repetitive to the point it's just ridiculous, I mean they aren't even changing the design a little bit but straight up copy pasting it into multiple series. Personally, I think it's the worst origin of transformers and I think the Quintesson and Vector Sigma explanations are worlds better than a magical macguffin that somehow does everything and fits in your hand. Uh, no thank you, I like some quality lore and backstory that is actually entertaining and satisfying beyond a magical space cube thing.

The heart of this argument goes to many other threads with virtually the same base idea, a fresh start. What the franchise truly needs is a clean slate reboot with all new characters, story, lore, and ideas that haven't been constantly repeated for the past decade or so and doesn't use the same core cast with the same story while chasing the same macguffin.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Lean Mean Angry Machine

News Credits:
    I'm all for retiring the AllSpark, since it was nothing more than a glorified mobile Vector Sigma anyway.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Yes.

• Like Like x 3
  7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    The Allspark was never interesting, since it was essentially just a portable Vector Sigma. I can tolerate Vector Sigma, since it's basically a remote "magical device" that was only used as an X on the map style story trope...but the Allspark quickly became much more than that. I was glad when Cyberverse finally buried it in the beginning of Season 3 - we got much better stories out of the deal.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Besides the Matrix, I would be perfectly fine if they leave behind the abundance of mystical artifacts that have become mainstay since Prime. Just keep the Allspark as something like a mythical artifact for Cybertronian religions.
    Heck even with the Matrix keep it ambiguous whether or not it provides anything besides possible knowledge like IDW did (minus Lost Light).
    Matrix.PNG Matrix2.PNG Matrix3.PNG

• Like Like x 13
  9. Billie94

Billie94 Banned

Ditch the sucker. Less MacGuffins means better storytelling.

• Like Like x 6
  10. PrimeSmokescreen 04

PrimeSmokescreen 04 Well-Known Member

I would just merge it with the matrix, kinda like how in animated the matrix was created from the remaining allspark fragments, except it would just be like that from the jump.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

im cool with the allspark just being the thing that creates transformer life, just dont need to see that shit as a macguffin in every story

• Like Like x 11
  12. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Honestly, It would be awesome if we got rid of it. The Allspark is literally just a less interesting Vector Sigma.

I found Vector Sigma incredibly interesting as he is somewhat a life form of his own (who has sometimes been Primus in disguise) that main function to give the cybertronian's a personality.

The Allspark on the other hand has just been a catchall McGuffin and is basically used however the story wants it to be used.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's funny is that the Allspark was originally suppose to be the Matrix before they changed it due to them thinking the name would confuse people. So I find it funny that the other half of the Matrix has been used so much now that's become annoying.

• Like Like x 4
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ditch the Allspark, ditch retelling the war for Cybertron, ditch Optimus and Megatron having some series-predating relationship, ditch the mind-numbing political dramas, ditch everything that's been holding Transformers storytelling back.

I just want Transformers to start one more series baggage-free before I die.

As an unrelated hot take of my own: The Matrix is Hot Rod's accessory, not Optimus's. Optimus should not have, or need, the Matrix in any story where it is not passed on to Hot Rod, (unless both characters and the Matrix are radically redefined) at it is a physical manifestation of the arc that character is meant to undergo. It serves no purpose in Optimus Prime's hands, it is not for him to wield, and the fact that it is constantly bestowed upon him as some talisman of status completely undermines its intention as a figurative torch to be passed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  15. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

Please god yes. I'm fine with it sticking around in reference to an afterlife of sorts, but I'm so damn sick of the Allspark as a MacGuffin, be it a cube or an orb or a dodecahedron. The most interesting thing about it was that it could change its size in the first movie, and that's it. It's Vector Sigma, but more boring.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Atharun18999

Atharun18999 Xantium Pilot

Throw it in the vault. While they're at it, throw these in too -

Bumblebee radio voice gimmick
    The forge of Solus Prime and all the other assortment of artifacts
    Prime reverting to Orion Pax
    Prime having to die and sacrifice himself
    The 13
    Cybertron needing to be revived
    Starscream acting like a whiney b**** rather than a real #2
    Refusal to use the Japanese characters
    Titan speaking
    Having so many titans

• Like Like x 9
  17. Rojixus

Rojixus I AM NOT YOUR ENEMY!

The reoccurrence of the Allspark is just a symptom of the real disease: Hasbro constantly rebooting just so they can tell the same exact Definitive Transformers Story(TM) again.

• Like Like x 10
  18. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

Transformers needs to get rid of mcguffins in general.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Please, please, please can I add reformatting on the fly (without an external physical rebuilding) to this list?

• Like Like x 5
  20. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    This is pretty much where I stand too. I actually don't think the Allspark is a bad macguffin in itself (it worked fine in the '07 movie), but I feel like current Transformers is trying too hard to mythologize and create a uniform lore. Whereas in the past Transformers stories often did new things that fit those particular stories. I think it's fine for some things to carry over between continuities if it fits the stories, but I do wish we could stop retreading the same ground over and over again.

• Like Like x 7