Can Robots survive in cold community mailbox?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cardboard Bots, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Cardboard Bots

Cardboard Bots TFW2005 Supporter

So a bunch of indidual bots are coming to my community mailbox and I'll be away for 10 days during Christmas vacation. Would they be okay out there? The parcel box is secure but temperatures are most definitely below freezing (Canada).

Most of these parcels are packaged using styrofoam. My guess is they are somewhat insulated.

My buddy has a key and can check on the weekend, but I don't want to bother him since it's so close to Christmas and he might be busy being hungover and such.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Ya know I had the same thought a few weeks ago. The plastic might be okay as long as they don't heat up too quickly- it shouldn't crack. I'd leave them in the box for a few hours after you get them home.

• Like Like x 1
  3. El Duque

El Duque Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They will probably be okay, but I would let them warm up to room temp before messing around with them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I've given this some thought before as well.

I figured as long as you don't open them right away and try to transform them, they should be okay once the plastic returns to room temperature.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker

Where in Canada? Remotely out in the sticks or in a major city? I've had a couple of bots/parcels for China sitting in -7 Celsius for a couple of days when I didn't know they've been delivered, and they turned out okay (paper wrap around styrofoam). I'd be worried about theft in a community mailbox. Can you ask Canada Post to hold your parcels at a post office?

6. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker

I've forgot to mention letting them sit in room temp for a bit before transforming them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, for the love of all things plastic, let them warm up before playing with them.

• Like Like x 3
  8. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

Your car is made out of plastic and rubber (among other things) and it sits outside. It'll be fine but as everyone else said, let them warm up, maybe a day before you mess with them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Different plastics react different to different weather. And surface rust is quite common on exposed metal.

That said, I'd offer a better argument, your mailbox is no different than a non-climate controlled storage unit in a similar environment. However, you can always tell the post office to hold you mail until you return to collect it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cardboard Bots

Cardboard Bots TFW2005 Supporter

Ok, it looks like one is taking up the parcel space in the community box. My buddy can get to it tomorrow I think. Other is at the post office branch and the last is at the depot. I think it's too late for me to arrange for the one delivered to be held, but as long as the box is filled the last one will end up at a branch.

I'll be sure to let it rise slowly back up to room temperature before I open it.

They are dinobots so I'm unsure about how all the chrome will react. Wish me luck.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

I don't know.....Prime and Arcee didn't do to well in the arctic in that one episode of TFP......

• Like Like x 5
  12. Hound & Mirage

Hound & Mirage Rapscallion

They'll be fine. As others have said, just don't open the box right away. If you wanna be real safe, let the box sit indoors, still sealed, for a day or so before you open into it.

13. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like everyone else has said already, definitely let it warm up first. I learned the hard way about 7 years ago when I bought a quarter scale Darth Maul. I bought it in the morning and left it in my car until about 10 at night. Temperature was near freezing all day. I opened it up immediately after I brought it in that evening and started messing around with various poses. The arms held up fine, but as soon as I tried to bend a knee, the whole joint broke. I was like WTF and then proceeded to try the other knee and the same thing happened. Then I thought how dumb it was to try the second one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

If you're cold, they're cold. Let them inside.

Sorry, the thread title made me think of that :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

They're ABS plastic toys stored in the cold for a days days. This *might* be a problem if they were subjected to extreme temps over and over again for years at a time. They're not, so you can stop worrying.

Just give them a half hour (and even that's likely excessive) when you get them to warm up. Plastics are generally less flexible when cold. That's the onlything to worry about and it's pretty minor.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrAngry

MrAngry Proud to be Geek!

Well, the transport trucks aren't hauling them in temp controlled trailers, most of the crossdocks aren't heated, and most of them come across the ocean in containers hanging in the breeze on ships.

Cold won't hurt them at all. Just be sure to let them warm up before messing with them, as the plastic will be brittle when cold.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well I'm gonna be the black sheep there is no way I would leave them in subzero Canada in the cold for 7 days. I would get a neighbor to grab them and give him a bottle of whiskey for his trouble.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's already been sitting in the cold through the postal system.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MrAngry

MrAngry Proud to be Geek!

It's not any different than it sitting in the freezing cold trailers to get to you. They're made to take the ride, just let the plastic warm up first vefore trying to manipulate it. We haul stuff like this all the time. Fwiw, I live in Wisconsin, our climate is pretty much the same.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If your car is made out of the same plastics as a toy then I fear for your safety.

• Like Like x 2