Can Anyone recommend some good Sci-fi movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Armoredrah, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

Seen those too. Flight of the Navagator is an awesome movie. I've watched it over and over.
    The Explorers was good too.
    Another one I really liked was "The Wizard". THe title makes it easily confused with the Animated "Wizards" which I also love.

Fifth Element was great, probably one of my all time favs.
    I wasn't a big fan of fire in the sky for some reason.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Missed that.

How are you for foreign film? Are you willing to move outside sci-fi and fantasy?

How do you feel about Kurosawa's films, like The Hidden Fortress, Throne of Blood, Sanjuro, Yojimbo, and The Seven Samurai?

3. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

No problem, it's easy to miss little details.:D 
    I'm not a big fan of reading subtitles, since I usually try to multitask while watching movies and if I have to read the screen as well as watch the action and listen, it tends to make me space out and miss things or screw up things I'm working on.
    Kurosawa is a master of storytelling. While dubbed versions usually lose a bit of points, I do enjoy them, but I've still watched all of those at one point or another. As for branching out past Sci-fi and Fantasy, Yeah, I'm fine with Comedy and Horror movies, etc, but again, I've seen most of them probably.

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Theres this little franchise called star...battle or fight or something. Oh yeah, 'wars'.

5. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

Yeah. I had the Bluray box set that just came out, I watched all 6 movies and part of the bonus discs, then traded the set for Masterpiece Starscream. LOL
    George Lucas made too many changes to the SW movies and because of those changes, it ruined the "feel" of those films. Return of the Jedi was the first movie I remember going to the theater to see when I was a kid an I have really good memories of it, but watching it now doesn't seem the same and whil it could be due to the fact that I'm older, I feel more like the magic of Star Wars films has just been drained away. It's hard to explain I guess.

I just finished watching No Strings Attached and now I'm going to try Just Go With It, but neither were high on my list of things to watch, but they seem to be the only ones I could think of that I haven't seen. They aren't Sci-fi either, but like I said, my choices are getting very limited so I'm trying to branch out more.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a 2004 movie called Immortal that you may not have seen. The catch is it's downright terrible. But I think there's some boobs to make up for a small portion of the terrible.

Babylon AD (2008, Vin Diesel) was pretty cool.

There's 2 Russian films, Night Watch and Day Watch. I only saw the first so far, but I remember it being pretty neat if you can get past the subtitles.

Equilibrium with Christian Bale is really good.

The Mutant Chronicles (2008, Ron Pearlman) is a bit low-budget but has some really cool concepts.

Cyber Wars (2006) is neat, kind of a knock-off of a William Gibson novel.

7. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

Seen all those, EXCEPT Cyber Wars, maybe. I don't remember seeing it at least, so I'll give it a go. Thanks!
    Night Watch and Day watch were good. I watched dubbed versions of them.
    One of the better vampire films I've seen was Let the Right One In. I did have to read subtitles on that, but it was worth it. There is an English version of it called Let Me In, (If I remember correctly), with different actors but it wasn't as good.
    I'm looking forward to the remake of "The Thing" right now, but it looks like it will be a bit before I can get a copy of it.

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Try Onibaba. Similar in style to Kurosawa's stuff, but the cinematography is simply amazing.

Also, what about

La Passion de Joan D'Arc
    Amadeus
    To Catch a Thief
    North By Northwest
    Rear Window
    Touch of Evil
    Chinatown
    12 Angry Men
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    A Clockwork Orange
    Drag Me To Hell
    Slither
    A Simple Plan
    Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas
    Oldboy
    The Good, The Bad, and The Weird

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Damn, and I thought I'd dug pretty deep. :lol  Hopefully Cyber Wars will entertain you a little. Did you think Immortal was as bad as I did?

10. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

I Know it's Fantasy But Have you seen The Lord of the Rings :) 

and there are these :) 

The day the Earth stood still (1951)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) theres also a newer one called: the Invasion (2007)
    Signs

11. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Star Wars

12. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

a couple you may have not seen. I don't know if I would call them good sci fi movies... but they are must see films for sci fans.

Starcrash
    Dark Star

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The original The Day the Earth Stood Still is an excellent film, highly recommended.

14. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

So far there have been a few I haven't seen, but most of the ones getting names are REALLY common, like Star Wars. LOL I don't think I know anyone who hasn't seen all the Star Wars movies. Most of the ones being mentioned are ones I've seen quite a few times. I did find a couple on my own that might be worth a look, if you like movies that are so bad, they're good. Samurai Cop and Castle Freak.
    I appreciate all the help though. Thanks Guys.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Armoredrah, how about some Terry Gilliam fantasies? Baron Munchausen is one of my best-loved films ever.

16. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

Baron Munchausen was very good. I also liked Time Bandits and Brazil. The old Monty Pythons are soe of my favorites also. Mainly the Holy Grail. That one blew me away years ago. The Flying Circus was nice, but when you watch things back to back as I do, some things get repetitive (There were many episodes that used the same skits over and over). This happens a lot with shows that were meant to be shown daily or weekly, History Channel documentaries and Discovery Channel documentaries are the worst for this, since a lot of info tends to be reused from show to show. I was recently hooked on the Ancient Aliens series, but while watching all 3 seasons back to back, I noticed they told the same stories over and over. Also on a lot of TV series, when watching weekly, you don't notice continuity errors as bad as when you watch an entire season at one time. Something else I'm running into now is I don't remember the titles of everything I've watched, so I find myself wasting time downloading movies it turns out I've seen a few times already. My memory is really good when it comes to useless things, but I have trouble with what day of the week it is or if I've taken my medication or not. LOL Most of the time I can't even tell you what the last thing I ate was, but I can tell you all about movies or shows I watched 20+ years ago. There are a few shows I'd love to see again, but they are so old, it's impossible to find them. I have managd to track down a couple that I loved when I was a kid. Manimal and Highwayman, , but there was another series I liked that had a little person (dwarf, midget, whatever the correct word is now) and he made toys and was a detective?/fought crime or something like that. It was back in the early to mid 80's I think and it seems like it was called "The Wizard". I only remember bits and pieces of it, which is odd for me, so I'd like to see those episodes again. A decent Sci-fi movie that used to scare the hell out of me ws Saturn 3. I still don't like the sound a Swiffer wetjet makes, because it reminds me of that robot. LOL

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

2001 Space Odyssey. Some love it some hate it.
    I think it's beautiful & brilliant.

I never appreciated the ending until seeing it on a big screen. I was awed.

The Last Starfighter & Enemy Mine were also good. I also thought that robot in Judge dredd was pretty effin cool.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I found Sharktopus awful, but highly amusing.

What about Stalker, by Tarkovsky? It's interesting as an example of the Russian school of sci-fi (along with films like Solaris), which is something we in the west pretty much never saw.

19. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    That's not a movie though...