Can and should magic be explored within Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Oct 25, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    When I say magic, I don’t mean “an advanced science we don’t understand”. I mean the stuff of fantasy, harnessing the power to weave spells and enchantment, of HARRY POTTER and DISCWORLD and, yes I say it, MY LITTLE PONY. It’s even got its own wiki entry:
    Magic - Transformers Wiki

So far, magic has had ONE notable appearance: in a G1 episode a wizard named Beohrt magically powered up a weakened Warpath and Hoist to take on Starscream, Ramjet, Rumble and Ravage. So far, that’s all the screentime it’s had. And to be fair, why bother about magic in a sci-fi show about super-advanced mechanical beings with shapeshifting abilities and cutting-edge weaponry?

But on the other hand, introducing magic would be an interesting development to the Transformers saga, possibly a game-changer. You could have a dark sorcerer Decepticon up against a good magician Autobot, using their powers to aid their factions in a manner so bizarre both sides decide never to ever touch magic ever again (eg body-switching, reality-altering, weather-changing, etc). It would probably make for an interesting, if not perhaps agreeable feature (like I said, these robots don’t actually need magic, so it could be hard to digest for people).

What do you think?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah. Magic's awesome when it's not stupid.

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Alpha Trion as Gandalf?

MY BODY IS READY!

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No.

Magic + ROBOTS = Stupid.

5. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No. Magic does not fit with Transformers.

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    No.

They already did it with Doctor Who and what came out was some of the worst Who I've ever seen.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The supernatural, or at least metaphysical, has been an aspect of Transformers since pretty early on in the franchise, especially in the comics. There's no reason it couldn't be again.

HOW it's used, however, would be the deciding factor. IMO, magic would have to be a functionally distinctive element in the TF universe from technology. It couldn't be used the same way technology is, and would need different requirements for use and circumstances it can act within. Magic is an already difficult to use concept, since it often negatively affects storytelling and goes into "macguffin" or "deus ex machina" or "a wizard did it" territory. It's also an even more difficult concept to apply in the Transformers universe, since they're already differentiated from present-day humans through their extraterrestrial nature and super-advanced technology. Clarkes Law non-withstanding (and who knows, maybe magic could work as a "technology" older and beyond the full understanding of the cybertronians), if you can accomplish something with magic the same way you could do it with technology in the story, there really isn't much point in having both concepts, as you're just overcomplicating your universe as a writer. The original He-man series is something of a good example of this, in an effort to apply both sci-fi and fantasy concepts at once, it's a show that often uses them interchangably for no specific reason (superfluous) or forgets itself (veering into an over-reliance on fantasy or sci-fi in it's storytelling). When it works, however, it's very cool from a kid's perspective.

So how SHOULD they do it? Work within the context of their "mythology". We've seen metaphysical/supernatural things at work before, the Unicron/Primus concept leads into plenty of "matrix-fuelled" or "fallen-empowered" situations, and the transcendental existance of the cybertronians themselves (as living, "spark-souled" beings) can be a seemingly plausible explanation for abilities and actions beyond steel and lasers, such as the perception/clairvoyance seen in Beast Wars and Bludgeon's eerie Metallikato abilities. And then of course, there's the use of the "space is big and weird" trope by having the cybertronians stumble across persons or objects with powers beyond their understanding, that appear magical (which opens up the possibility for differing interpretations, superstition/skepticism based on individual characterizations).

8. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

It's... tough to blend in magic in a sci-fi concept that also often delves into pseudo-religion regularly.

9. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

You mean like a modern take on the G1 episode "Madman's Paradise"?

Or elaborating on Beast Wars' Tigerhawk's powers?

10. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. Please, no. The "magical lineage" of Primes that Hasbro has been forcing on us since ROTF is bad enough.

I'd actually like to get away from scan-reformatting as well, since that might as well be magic.

11. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    We already had Processor Over Matter thing in Animated.

I don't care how you word it that shit is magic!

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This.

Besides Magic is just a form a science to begin with anyways.

13. Peter Bazooka

Peter Bazooka Monsterbot

I don't see why not. Supernatural stuff is already lightly touched on with stuff like Mindwipe's talking to the dead, and Bomb-Burst's robo-vampirism.

14. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Well, we have concepts like Primus and the Allspark and the Matrix and other stuff, like TFP's awesome Forge, so I guess mystical elements wouldn't be too out of place.

But then, I wouldn't want too much emphasis on magic, per se. I prefer the sciencey aspects of the Transformers over the mystic parts :lol 

15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    No.

They already did it with Doctor Who and what came out was some of the worst Who I've ever seen.

16. dunerunner123

dunerunner123 Optipottamus prime

no... that would definitely not work. If you are going for a wizard bot or sorcerer con then I can not see that being received well.

17. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see why the hell not. We've had "Dark Science" before.

18. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Resident couch potato

This, we don't need stupid magic to make Transformers interesting.

19. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Minimize the mystical. We already have faints hints and traces of it, which is fine, but that's all we need.

Full blown sorcery should be right out.

20. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That makes Bumblebee Frodo and Waspinator Gollum.