Call of the Primitive Unicron Origin

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CZ Hazard, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Only ever seen two episodes of it, charicter didn't strike me as very interesting.

2. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this

3. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    :lol  You and me both.

4. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

Primus and unicorn are brothers

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Not in the G1 cartoon.

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Save your fingers, daitarn red doesn't read people's posts. He reads the title, then posts the "answer" to it. Its all he ever does.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Battle Unicorn? ;) 

8. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    :lol 

As far as the origin goes I'm with Sto here. like it or not, it happened. Personally I don't like and refuse to accept that Unicron was the creation of some alien dwarf nerd, but it is how it occurred in the G1 cartoon an that cannot be questioned.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ahh thanks.

Thank you.

10. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

How about..Primacron is actually the 'agent' of gods who were supposed to create Unicron in the comics? Win-win situation here.Well,never read the comics but I'm one who would never defy the original G1 cartoon.lol

11. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Well, I've noted previously that that origin is too prosaic for my liking, ie: "some folks built them a long time ago".

Yeah, great origin. If Star wars can have mystical mumbo-jumbo like the Force, Transformers can have deities. They're both pretty much space opera, after all.

- Coeloptera

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And this is why I have always loved the Quint's storyline. While I don't hate a god creating the transformers, I like the idea that something that was simply built as a factory robot took life and felt the need to rebel. More serious Science Fiction movie and stories begin with this premise, and it gives the Transformers and almost sad story. "Why would you struggle to become aware and defend yourself from oppressive organics, only to turn against eachother when you win the freedom?"

I am a 100% supporter of Quints. It came first and it intrigued me even as a kid, that these robots I thought were self aware from the beginning of time, began their lives as mindless machines.

I've always stated that Transformers was the movie "The Matrix" in reverse. We were the Quintensons and the Robots in the Matrix mearly defended themselves from us.

So the word "The Matrix" wasn't the only thing somewhat borrow from Transformers.

13. G1Decepticons

G1Decepticons Banned

when i saw unicron is the 1986 movie i thought he was just badass the greatest transformer ever. In season three i thought they ruined unicron with that space moneky buliding him. The gods origin is much better thsn the story of his origin in the cartoon. I still love Unicron though.

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I don't see how monkey dude is any worse than the Guardians or those brainy dudes in the pilot of Star Trek.

Midichlorians.

15. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. For the love of God yes!

According to Hasbro, there's only ONE Unicron, and he goes from reality to reality getting new bodies as needed...

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I liked the irony of the Cartoon's explanation. How such a puny, fragile being made the most devastating force in the Universe. Saying "Oh, he's just a God" is basically the same as the "magic" excuse.

17. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Ha!

Too bad SW itself can't actually agree on how that garbage works.

Midi-chlorian - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

It's apparently still actually mystical mumbo jumbo.

I believe the vague, mystical element in Transformers is somewhat necessary for the particular reason that the concept of sparks has gained more of a foothold in the various continuities.

I mean from what we've seen, a spark is basically a soul with the serial numbers filed off that one can unequivocally perceive.

- Coeloptera

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Some things are more canon than others though. Primacron is an outdated concept used in only one source and then completely rejected by everything else that came later.

I'm sure the cartoon writers would have adopted the Primus route had the Marvel comics with him in had been released before they decided to give Unicron a backstory.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Give this man a cigar. Give him many cigars. I don't really understand how Unicron being a god is an origin story. Calling him a god is giving him a title, not explaining where he came from. The whole gods and sparks thing is a large part of my lack of interest in most TF shows.

20. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut snack TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's because you're a souless, sparkless curmugeon who refuses to buy decent armor for your classics Ultra Magnusesseses. :p  Don't ask me how those two points (?) are related, because they're not.

On topic, I don't mind the 'god' explanation. Not every origin has to made explicit IMO. If you say he was created by something else, then you're only delaying the question when you have to ask: 'Then who created the something else that created Unicron?' But then, I'm one of those simpletons who tends to take things at face value much of the time. Go ahead, tell me that's stupid! I accept that.

I liked the idea of Unicron being a dimension-spanning entity that reformed after being destroyed, and I thought the 'dead universe' in the 'Devastation' storyline was going to wind up being a dimension previously destroyed by him.
    Too bad the whole story went to shit and I lost all interest in reading any more of it.