CAD-Modeled Generations IDW Impactor WIP

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by VectorOracle, Nov 25, 2020.

1. VectorOracle

VectorOracle Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Edit: I finished! Check out this post for the final product!

I like to come up with designs for figures in CHUG scale from time to time, and have made a few with cardboard/wood/etc. in the past. However, I wanted to get into CAD, and since the cardboard stuff is something I'm keeping to strictly WFC Trilogy stuff right now, I figured I'd start with IDW Impactor, since the transformation I came up with is relatively simple and this will give me a good starting project to get my feet wet, as it were. I don't have a 3D printer, so I don't know if I'll actually be able to get a physical copy, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm using Thrilling 30 Springer as a guide for scale and proportions, although Impactor might end up a bit shorter since I don't exactly want to give him Springer's long-leggedness. Please feel free to give me thoughts and critiques, I'm very new at this.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.44.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.43.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.44.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.44.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 6.22.51 PM.png

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

Looks cool.
    What's that spiky flag lookin thing in between the arms?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Arsnof

Arsnof Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm guessing a variation on his 'hook' hand.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Botnanza

Botnanza One of those nerds with the 3D printer

Nice but a few pieces look a bit thin to be 3D printed solidly for instance the holes you’ve inserted for hinges. This might be a design you have to upscale and reduce the pin hole size. Also remember to have tolerances of about 0.2mm so pieces can fit together

• Like Like x 2
  5. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Indeed it is! I'm still getting the hang of curves, so I figured I'd go with something a bit sharper for now.

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a size you suggest as the smallest "safe" pin hole size?

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I managed to finish the head today so far, as well as update some stuff on the shoulder cannon hinge.

I realize he's missing the lines in his helmet, as well as probably some more details in the face and helmet overall, but I figure if I actually print this, I'll just add those in myself with a Sharpie.

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 10.10.25 AM.png

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Botnanza

Botnanza One of those nerds with the 3D printer

It’s less about pin hole size and more about the relative thickness and strength of plastic around it, look at some transformers figures (the fists and hinges in particular) to see how thick the areas around the hole usually are.

for smallest pin holes I personally go to 2mm for use with 1.75mm printing filament as pins. But if you’re printing pins then they can’t be any smaller than about 3mm in which case use 3.2mm holes

also don’t have any surfaces thinner than 2mm

• Like Like x 2
  7. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks! I'll get to fixing those.

8. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Update: Added some extra detail to the head and tops of the forearms:

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 6.37.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 6.37.15 PM.png

And started work on the chest and waist:

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 6.36.34 PM.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

Good detailing on the helmet

Just realized how similar inpactor and overlord look.

Whats the T shaped thing?

10. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If you're talking about the bottom right of the last picture, that is his butt. I put in a port for a flight stand, although I don't have one to use it with. I made the waist area two pieces so I could sandwich it around the legs.

11. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Update: I wasn't happy with the chest proportions, so I fixed them:

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 4.40.40 PM.png

And I added an Autobot symbol on his chest, although it's larger than in canon:

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 4.41.04 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
  12. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Update: Lined up some of the pieces today to check scaling, and had to resize some as a result. I'll see what I have to do about fixing peg sizes and such, or if I have to resize something else instead. Either way, here's what I've put together right now:

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.11.33 AM.png

I'm really proud of how this is all shaping up! I'll get to figuring out the scale kinks, then I'll make the neck hinge and begin work on the legs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I know it's been a while, but nothing really interesting has happened. I made the neck hinge, and I'm adjusting the chest design to account for it, as well as accounting for the entire head fitting in there for transformation. I'll post a picture when it's done, then get to work on some limbs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Update: Fixed the chest, the neck is now in place. Here's a bird's eye view of the neck area:

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 6.26.38 PM.png

I know it looks a little tight, but I did that on purpose so that it would keep the neck in place in robot mode. Also, I made the butterfly joints for his arms, and lined up those and the waist where they're supposed to be:

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 6.25.20 PM.png

My next steps are to make his shoulder-guard thingys, followed by the bicep/elbow and the main bulk of the forearm.

• Like Like x 2
  15. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Update: Made the shoulder guards. Do you guys think they're too big? I may resize them depending on how the rest of the arms turn out.

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 9.06.58 AM.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Update: Still haven't done anything about the shoulder guards. What I did do is make his little pistol thingy:

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 6.19.33 PM.png

And I added color to everything:

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 6.18.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 6.20.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 6.22.43 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
  17. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Sorry for no posts the last few days. I've since adjusted some stuff on the shoulders and forearm pieces, and made the top of the bicep swivel. I put the forearm here, but since I still have to make the rest of it, I'm going to move it back out until the rest of the arm is done. Here's the picture I took:

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 10.50.17 AM.png

18. kentan99

kentan99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1) The proportions are hideous, the upper torso is so flat compared to the elongated lower torso. The torso is incredibly narrow, making the arms look like that of a gibbon.
    2) The face is extremely flat and unexpressive.
    3) The shapes are either not very well thought of, or very boring. Please add more meaningful shapes.
    4) A lot of the joint tolerances will not hold up.
    5) That's not how mushroom joints work, there is no friction to hold the hook hand. Also the hook hand will snap. It is also just a stick with triangles. Please add more detail.
    6) There is no proper flow of balance. Big shapes go into tiny thin shapes everywhere.
    7) The hand is modelled too flat. There is no thumb definition and the phalanges are all of different lengths.
    8) Use a proper Autobot logo.
    9) Many of Impactor's body parts do not conform to 90 degree angles. They are polygonal but there are many faces that are not perpendicular to XYZ planes.
    10) Seems like you are working with no clear plan, creating a robot with detail as you go, rather than starting off with base shapes then refining the detail. You will encounter a lot of transformation issues if you proceed with your work.
    11) The parts dont split very well. This will affect your final build quality.

Remember, all ideas start best on 2D. If you make a good sketch you will have solid ideas to work off from. Always work with a good base. Cross reference other existing figures such as MMC's figure, as well as official comic material. A single image will not provide you with the clues you need for transformation. I believe all IDW characters are usually designed with simple transformations(albeit with some magic shifting).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  19. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

Thanks for your feedback! A lot to unpack here:

First of all, keep in mind that this is my first big CAD project, a lot of this is trial and error stuff I'm learning on the go.

1) I'm aware the proportions are not ideal, I'm going to finish the legs first before I do any major fixes to that due to the fact that I am scaling this to a pre-existing figure. Additionally, I had to affect some of the proportions to account for the transformation.
    2) Again, I'm new at this. I tried for a bit to fix the face, but for now, this is what I'm going with. Trust me, I am completely aware that it looks horrible, but there are more important things to work on.
    3) I am basing every single shape on what I see in my reference images. Some of them are a bit simplified, due mainly to having to figure out a transformation that I can feasibly engineer in CAD in my free time. I'm aware he comes out a bit flat.
    4) I don't know if I'm even going to be able to print this, and I am going off of the exact measurements for tolerances given to me by someone earlier in this thread.
    5) The hook hand is not on a mushroom joint; it partsforms out because it is on a 5mm port, much like the Siege figure. I've since fixed the blades, and I'm about to post that update.
    6) I... don't exactly know what you mean here. If you mean some of the random scattered faces present on the top of the chest, those occurred during the modeling, and I don't know how to merge them into the larger faces they're associated with. They're still combined with their respective bodies, but the faces didn't merge in for some reason.
    7) Baby steps. I made sure the fingers were clearly defined on the front of the fists, but I don't want to take the time YET to learn how to work out getting the same definition on the top and bottom.
    8) I don't know what you mean by this. I modeled in an Autobot logo, and I firmly believe it is the most accurate-looking detail in the entire project. If you mean something to the effect of using a Toyhax label, I don't have any. Worst comes to worst, I can paint one in myself, should I print this.
    9) I am aware, but like I said (And I'm sorry to sound like a broken record), I literally don't know how to do that. I'm learning as I go and doing this for fun. I've tried to adapt the angles and shapes from the comic design as best I can, but it is in no way easy to do that and preserve the transformation.
    10) I designed this figure literally half a year ago, I have a plan. I know exactly how the transformation works, I simply am not always working with an order for which specific piece I make at any time. As for the details, I am checking the transformation joints every time I make them to make sure whatever detail I've molded in works during transformation.
    11) I don't know what you mean. I know it looks like I'm working in one piece at the moment, but the torso is two pieces, the head is on a mushroom joint, the hands are on mushroom joints, the neck is a separate piece, the shoulder butterfly joints are separate, the shoulder cannon is three pieces including the hinge it attaches with, the crotch is two pieces, the shoulders are each separate, the outward movement inside them is separate, the bicep swivel is on a mushroom joint that connects to a 4-piece forearm, plus the separate hook hand and gun.

As for your final advice, I planned out every piece I'd need beforehand, just not to exact measurements. I'm not great at drawing, and my limited experience and skills with CAD mean that I'm not likely to be able to perfectly replicate any drawings anytime soon. I have looked at MMC's figure many times, but there are certain proportional and design elements where they stray off of the comic design in a manner that I would not like to. As for said comic design, I have three reference images. Two angles of the robot mode, and the best picture of the vehicle mode I could find. From those pictures I designed my transformation, just as you said. I get more images as needed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  20. VectorOracle

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Update: Finished the arms:

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 10.23.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 10.24.36 AM.png

However, I noticed some of the proportions were off with the hands and the hook, so I resized the hands and redid the hook to be more accurate:

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 10.24.18 AM.png

Note: I did all of this before I saw kentan99's response, so some of the things mentioned in that post haven't been fixed. Next order of business is to add some missing details in the inner shoulders, and then move down to the legs. Thank you everybody for the feedback and advice you've given me, it's helped a lot.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020