Cable/Satellite Service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sylent, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

What does everyone have for cable/satellite service? I currently have Dish Network, but my wife and I will be moving soon and DN is kind of pricey. Direct TV has a pretty good deal since we’re already AT&T customers, but we learned that we’d need to have a dish mounted on the roof (instead of the balcony) because of the direction that the satellite signal originates.

The spot we’ll be moving to is in an area that doesn’t allow for a dish to be mounted thanks to HOA; we would need to submit an Architectural Application and get permission from the board, which is a lengthy, drawn out process, so we’re searching for alternative options. If we decided to beg the board for permission, it could take weeks, and in the meantime, we’d have nothing to watch besides DVD's.

A friend recommended Apple TV, so I did some research, but I'm not sure that we'd want to go that route... and I really dislike Apple and their exclusivity.

Any suggestions?

2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Cut the cable. Look into other alternatives like Roku etc etc

3. Sylent

See, I'm not tech savvy at all, and I don't stream, so I never had prior reason to look into anything else until now. I'm never home, so paying for a streaming service is pointless and a waste of money. Hell, I'm probably one of like 10 people who still uses the Netflix disc service.

I had to Google search to see what Roku is. I thought it was a Dragonball Z character. :p  If it wasn't for my job, I probably wouldn't have internet or be on this forum.

I have a hot spot, but that's really only to connect for work assignments when I'm on the move or need to work from home.

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

The Spectrum monopoly in our area has made it so you can't even watch basic TV unless you buy a new Samsung television or pay them an EXTRA 12 dollars a month for a box ON TOP of your regular bill since the digital conversion. So I don't watch TV anymore. Twitch, Youtube, and Netflix pretty well provide my home entertainment for now.

5. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    You don't need to be tech saavy. There's plenty of info online that can help you learn how to use it. Just gotta spend the time. See, I used to work for a cable company. I know their "game." I know it so well...that I refuse to pay them for it. I'm like you, I don't watch a whole lot of TV so for me, it's a waste of money. And if you happen to get a "promotional rate" it will expire. And when it does, and you see the "normal rate" that you're supposed to have, make sure you have a defibrillator near by along with a very sturdy chair or comfy couch to fall back on. Then you gotta call into customer service and hope you get an incompetent rep that will just give you max discounts just to get you the fuck off his/her phone, or someone who's about to quit to ....give you the max discounts...also to get you the fuck off his/her phone. Otherwise, if you have someone who's like one of those corporate suck ups...they'll tell you that your promotion was only for a one time deal, and they can only "give you a lesser discount" which then forces you to talk to their retention/ saves department to try to save you as a customer. And EVEN THEN, you gotta hope and pray you're not talking to some cranky ass bitch who doesn't care if you stay or leave, but rather someone who seems "helpful" and MAY...be able to help get your bill back down.

Either that or you're fighting the battle of the bulge with customer service by talking to several supervisors and may not get anywhere with it. It all depends. Roll the dice and find out. All in all, it's up to you :)  Roku is but one option. There are others. For myself? I just have the OTA antenna. It does well enough for me, and I can find a lot of things online. Cable companies and Dish companies can kiss my ass.

• Like Like x 1
  6. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    DirecTV and damn proud of it!

7. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

I've got an antenna, and I haven't used it in months.

8. GAUGE

GAUGE Professional Digital Artist

News Credits:
    Cox. Even if it sucks sometimes.

9. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Comcast/Xfinity + Amazon Prime () + Netflix + Hulu (every now-and-then)

10. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Comcast for internet only. I use my PlayStation 4 for the PSVue service.
    I may hate Comcast, but their internet is pretty good.
    PSVue is basically just a streaming service like Roku, and is only around $15 a month.

11. Predacon Gregatron

Predacon Gregatron Well-Known Member

We have 3 Roku players in different rooms at the house, and have Comcast internet.

When we had cable, our bill was around $300 a month. After cutting the cord, the Comcast bill (just internet) is down to $100 a month. I pay for PS Vue, which is $48 a month. Vue lets us stream on all 3 Roku players at the same time.

With a Roku player (or Apple TV), you basically choose which apps (streaming services) you want to use by downloading them from the store. The Roku interface is easy to use. My dad isn't tech savvy, and he can use it.

The thing I like most about streaming services like Vue, Sling, DirecTV Now, etc is that they have flexibility and you can cancel any time. You don't have to go through the ordeal of calling customer service or returning cable boxes.

Where I live, CBS is a Sinclair station. Sony and Sinclair had a dispute, so Vue stopped having CBS in their packages where I live. When it's football season, I'm saying bye bye to Vue, and switching to Youtube TV or DirecTV Now for my football viewing, since those services have CBS.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I have Dish network and have had it since 09' but before that it was charter cable which was terrible.

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It really depends what you watch.

I just have the digital antenna which gets me all the local channels. Stuck with Spectrum for internet.

Sign up for the free month of Netflix (streaming) and Hulu to see if you like what is on there.

14. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

I have Spectrum, but only because it’s included in my rent and effectively free. I watch virtually no TV, so I would have cut the cord years ago if I had to pay for it.

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have had Dish since about '14 or so. I like it. Love having a massive DVR. It is full of seasons of shows and movies from those free weekends.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sylent

Man, probably as you were typing this, I was on the phone with DN negotiating a deal because my bill was WAY too high. I called last week to inquire about getting internet added, the rep even told me that my bill was too high (which I already knew). I ended up getting a $20 credit for 6 months and eliminated some programming that I wasn't using to further lower the bill. When that credit runs out, it'll be the same song and dance all over again... and the only reason I'm keeping this service is for my mom and sister, who are even less tech savvy than me.

Thanks for this breakdown!

After much research and several suggestions from real-time friends over the weekend, my wife and I decided to avoid cable and satellite altogether and get Apple TV (for our 4K tv) and Roku (for our bedroom tv) for our new place. We went to AT&T, who is our phone service provider and was quoted $40 (in addition to our regular phone bill) for high speed internet so then I can eliminate the hotspot we have. The only downer about this is that the highest speed in our area is 18 mbps. Not sure what the standard is, but we were told that 18 mbps is like the middle of the pack. Seems kind of slow to me compared to what is offered...

Another downer is their appointment schedules are crap and they're pretty much booked up for the entire week. I tried calling this morning to attempt to get a sooner install, but got some guy on a bad, staticy line (like he was on a rotary phone with loose wiring) who could barely speak and understand English and continually suggested crap that had nothing to do with why I was calling. I ended up hanging up on him.

17. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never like satellite and their two year signing contract. It goes off the air during thunderstorms and it affects the DVR if you recording something. They say broadband is better than DSL. My sister has DirecTV and she regrets it. She had the wireless version and she got tired of the picture constantly freezing up and then she had DirecTV came out and they restored the wiring. When I lived in Florida, I had Cox Contour and I never had a problem with them. Every now and then they would call me and offer me HBO, Cinemax, Starz, and Showtime for a discount of $10 a month for six month to a year. When the discount is about to expire, I called them to cancel and instead they extended the discount for another year. Now I have Charter and Charter does not offer discount like those. But right now if I want the movie channels, Charter will only charge $20 a month for a year. They did offered me a free landline phone for a year.

18. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Are you guys heard about the layer3 tv cable ?

19. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I have Comcast with the very lowest they offer, 3 mbps, and it is more than enough to handle my computer, Roku, and iPhone at the same time. You probably won't even notice any difference from your previous TV service, and they won't be charging you an arm and a leg for mbps you don't actually need. Oh, and if you need a wifi router don't rent it from them - find out what can be used on their system and buy one. It'll save you a lot of money.

--Moonu

20. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I have Comcast but I kinda feel like I'm getting robbed every month. It's 175 for the cable, internet and home phone bundle. The Mrs insist that we have a home phone still so I just pay the bill like a good boy. I know we at least pay 10 bucks too much as we rent the modem from them, the phone cord plugs into the back of it. Idk if they still sell units that a phone cord can be plugged into the back or not.

The service is good 98% of the time, unlike satellite, which has issues during storms. My son says our internet is bad but i dont have issues with it like he seems to have. I mainly only play Halo guardians, he says Fortnite needs faster internet to avoid lagging, idk though. I watch a slot of sports, basketball and football so I like having cable, plus we all use on demand a lot. I just feel like it'd be nicer if I could get all that for 75-100 a month max.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018