BW vs G1 size comparison (Potential spoiler for anyone yet to watch all of BW)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by PaulK80, Sep 20, 2013.

1. PaulK80

PaulK80 Deceptibot

Ebay:
    To begin, I did a search of the forums and couldn't find this anywhere so I bring it up here:

What was the reasoning behind the downsizing of the BW characters on the show versus their "stasis-mode" G1 counterparts? When I 1st watched the series over the current summer (I went from BW hater to BW enthusiast) and in the episodes that show the occupants of the Ark, they are so much bigger than the members of the beast wars.

Along the same lines, just this evening my teenager asked why they went from Decepticons & Autobots to Preds & Maximals.... any ideas other than AUTObots doesn't fit with animal alts?!?!

Any help on either would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

2. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 Wily Old Buzzard

It was explained in the comics that that there was a massive downsizing. Since they were at peace, they didn't need so much energon. Hence the smaller size.

3. PaulK80

PaulK80 Deceptibot

Ebay:
    That is actually a pretty good explanation! Thank you!! I haven't read any of the comics, which I presume gives a lot more detail. On a side note, great show for only 22 minutes per show.

4. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

^They do mention it loosely in the show here and there, such as when Megatron encounters the occupants of the Ark for the first time, and mentions they're "archaic Energon guzzlers" -- this would in turn imply part of the reason for the downsizing was energy consumption issues.

5. gawddammit

gawddammit Rocketchoochoo

News Credits:
    At some point after the Great War, Cybertronians went through "The Great Upgrade", where their forms were smaller, yet more advanced. Thesesmaller bodies are more Energon efficient, and sported onboard computers that perform transformations for them. Megatron calls the Bots and Cons "Energon Guzzlers" in one episode.

6. PaulK80

PaulK80 Deceptibot

Ebay:
    I must've missed the Guzzler reference when I went episode by episode. Thank you all for the help. It does make sense that they would try and conserve on the energon they have if they aren't at war.

7. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 Wily Old Buzzard

the guzzler reference is in the Agenda part 3

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
  9. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Wasn't it suggested somewhere that the Preds and Maximals might have come from the Micro Masters line of Transformers?

10. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Although it was acceptable for the likes of Waspinator and Rattrap not to be the same size as their real life animal counterparts, I do think that everybody else should have been the same size as whatever beast they transformed into.

Cheetor was racing against actual cheetahs in one episode but Megatron is a tiny T-Rex.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yeah but since when has Transformers done that? Using that logic, Wheelie could easily defeat both G1 Megatron and Soundwave. As they turn into something that could be placed in a small bag.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I'm okay with Rattrap being a giant rat and Waspinator being a giant wasp. No size size shifting, they're just giant beasts.

But Rhinox, Optimus Primal and Megatron should have been the same size as their actual real life animal counterpart.

For G1, I'm okay with Megatron, Soundwave and Reflector increasing in size but the likes of Sideswipe and Prowl shouldn't increase in size when transforming. They should remain the size of a real life car when in robot mode. Aircraft are a problem though since they're really huge.

13. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I like that in Beast Wars they didn't care about the size of the animal. The beast modes weren't for hiding, they were for protection from the environment.

And since the show didn't care about scale that makes it easy for me to not care about it. In G1 it bugs me because they were supposed to be indistinguishable from the real thing yet their scale was way off. Had G1 taken this approach I wouldn't care about scale of the vehicles today.

14. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I just finished watching bw for the first time ever yesterday....I was actually wondering the same thing. Thanks for the clarification.

15. PaulK80

PaulK80 Deceptibot

Ebay:
    Sorry I was working all weekend so I didn't get a chance to come back here and thank everyone for their input. I did go back to that episode mentioned a few times to hear about the "Energon Guzzlers" and so forth. It makes a lot of sense that they would downsize themselves to conserve energy when in peace time. Hope for anyone else who was in my shoes, this helped clarify anything as well.

16. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that the Vok had something to do with it too and Optimus Prime is involved in some sort of conspiracy as a result.

17. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    It actually makes perfect sense when you think about it. Aside from conserving Energon, of COURSE more advanced robots would be smaller.

Think about it, is it that different from how technology works in the real world? As technology advances, it gets smaller. Cell phones, computers, iPods, storage devices, all of it has been getting smaller and smaller as time goes on.

So instead of the big blocky clunkers that the G1 bots were, the Beast Wars bots are noticeably more streamlined and curved. Just compare Optimus Prime:

[​IMG]

...with Optimus Primal:

[​IMG]

Ignoring the obvious gorilla bits on Primal, it's clear that Primal is a much more rounded and sleek bot than Prime is.

18. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The comics are terrible. They take everything that made Beast Wars great and they do the opposite.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, they never outright exposit it, but the dialogue makes it clear. Downsizing was to save energy.

They aren't, and he is.

No way.

Megatron would've been titanic. G1 Transformer size at least.

20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Yeah, if we're being realistic about size in BW, than we have this purple T-rex who outsizes everyone else, his six metre wingspan pterosaur friend and the bunch of teeny arthropods at his feet :p