BW 10th Anniversary TM Rattap, Dinobot, Tarantulus, & Transmutate

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Aberration, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Just found these guys last night

Tarantulas: I never owned this mold before, so this was new to me. The spider mode is pretty cool, but as with most of the other first wave beast toys, the beast mode is a brick with the robot mode being pretty decent, although the claws pointing outward in robot mode bug the hell out of me. Since I'll just be displaying them in a pose I'm not too concerned about it though.

Rattrap: I had the original, and I'm really diappointed they used the vac metal on this one. My original is flaking like crazy ( such is true for a few of my original Transmetals). Other than the Maximal insignia on it's chest there's really nothing different, it's a pretty fun mold overall. The rat with wheels mode is much better than the plain rat mode, due to the typical brick beast mode, but that's my only major "complaint" (which isn't really much of one at all). I do have to say the leg joints are REALLY loose on the reissue, so I'll probably have to put some nail polish on all the joints.

Dinobot: I couldn't wait to pick it up...Dinobot was my first and only original BW toy. I really like the new paint job on the reissue, though i wish they'd have left off the Maximal insignia...he never really was a full Maximal on the show...Only thing I;d change about this reissue is the different paint used for the raptor forearms and the unpainted mouth...otherwise I love the paint scheme. I was really surprised at how the robot arms/ dino legs felt like they were ratchet-jointed...I have the original Dinobot as well as the 'Dinobots' series grimlock and neither of them had the joints so tight it felt like there was resistance underneath. Overall Dinobot is one of my all-time fav TFs...fun in both modes, great articulation in robot mode and decent (better than most) articulation in beast mode...

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks to Hasbro Toy Shop, I just got these, along with a nifty big catalog and a B-Daman promo DVD (?!?)

Tarantulus - generally improved over the original version in most ways. Joints seem a bit firmer, but that may just be that the original is getting old. Much more show accurate paint scheme, though the pale green is a little overused, and I think a brighter metallic purple would've looked better than the semi-translucent this (and the original) uses. The "Waspinator" of the second wave.

TM Rattrap - Good, but not very different from the original version at all, probably because the original was pretty close to show-accurate already. The colors are (I think) a lot like the Japanese "Metals" release. The Maximal logo on the vhest is a nice touch, but the texture it's stamped over almost totally obscures it. Great if you don't already have the original, kinda indifferent if you do. The "Cheetor" of wave two.

Dinobot - After the talk here, I was worried about loose joints, but it's as good as any previous versions of this mold. The shoulder swivels appear to have stiff ratchets added, which make it a little too easy to turn the whole side around instead. The colors are pretty nice, but some rather odd, show-innacurate choices were made, like the blue inner tail. I'll be doing a little painting on this one. The "Rhinox" of wave two

Best of this wave is Tarantulus, then Dinobot and Rattrap. (Rattrap scorres lowest only because it offers so little over the original.

Full Transmutate: If not for the one frozen leg, this wouldn't be a half-bad action figure. It's more like a semi-articulated figurine now. Looks very accurate to the source material, and the dark wash really brings out the details in the sculpting. I wouldn't say it's worth buying two or more figures you don't want just to collect the parts, but if you're going for it anyway, it's an excellent bonus for BW show fans.

3. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

Picked up Tarantulus, and love him. I had a Blackarachnia, and traded my orginal Tarantulus away. I've been wondering though, how is his claw/hands suppose to be in robot mode. From the boxes, they seem to be switched around, but then the beast mode won't look right...

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I got all of them thanks to hasbro toy shop, and their sale. I've never owned any of the molds before.

I really like Dinobot, but I'm really irked at his shoulders, a locking mechanism of some kind would've made this one of my favorite figures.

I'm more pleased with Rattrap.

I'm a bit disapointed with Tarantulas. Too simple really, and the arms could've been better. I really would've prefered the Transmetal I think.

As for Transmutate, mine won't stay together at the mid-torso, where the chest and the spine pieces slot together. I'm going to have to glue it.

Quick review of the others:

Cheetor, very nice, but the beast head in robot mode/chest area seems weird, like I'm not transforming him right.

Waspy, I'm rather neutral.

Rhinox. Complete surprise, I really like the figure.

5. Tahukanuva

Tahukanuva Human After All

I picked up Predacon Tarantulas yesterday, and he rocks! Loving the colors, and the grappaling blade. The string does look awkward when not in use though. If you switch the hands around where they look good in robot mode, they still look fine in beast mode, just ignore the elbow rotation when transforming him. A+

6. CyberQuill

CyberQuill Active Member

For those of you that found Dinobot's joints really tight, what did you do to loosen them up?

7. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    USE EXTREME CARE. I saw a thread recently that warned of GPS on Dinobot, the joints specifically IIRC.

8. CyberQuill

CyberQuill Active Member

I've heard that too, but only in reference to the BW 10 Year Anniversary Dinobot by Hasbro. I've heard that the original, Fox Kids, and Telemocha Dinobots are fine. I currently have the Fox Kids version, and was going for the 10 Year but heard about the GPS so I've changed my mind to the Telemocha one instead.

Btw, I love your Dolemite icon. Hilarious movie!

9. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Oh. I figured that was the one you had since that is the thread you posted in. :lol 

Thanks you rat soup eating mothafucka!

:p 

10. CyberQuill

CyberQuill Active Member

I'm the one that killed Monday, whupped Tuesday, put Wednesday in the hospital. Called up Thursday to tell Friday not to bury Saturday on Sunday!

:lol 

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, hadn't realized GPS affected 10th anniversary Dinobot until now. I was transforming mine(I bought it in 2006) and the ports for the lower legs(which peg onto the chest in dino mode) cracked apart. It can still transform, but those lower legs are only held against the chest in dino mode through tension from the ball jointed knees.

The pieces that broke on my copy of this Dinobot are made from a semi-translucent plastic with some dark grey lines you can see(hard to describe, they look like the inside of shiny rocks when cut open or somewhat metallic). Shame too, since the deco on this is possibly my favorite of any deco used on the mold. Though I wish the shoulder rivets were a tad looser.