Buying Transformers on Taobao

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by botfan, Feb 25, 2017.

1. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're saying that this is even when you're already logged in? It doesn't seem to be happening on my end, I can add items to cart and checkout from cart or directly at the listing fine. Though I'm in Singapore and also using Firefox with an aggressive adblocker (ublock origin).
    IIRC the app search automatically factors in TB coins and shop vouchers in the result list's price while the desktop version does not. There are also a LOT of promos locked to the mobile app like your country specific bank promos.

2. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

yes its happening while im logged in to desktop. IDK if its just a temp hiccup. Its never happened before.

good to know there may be built in promos for the app. if i see something i might add it via the app and see if the price is the same and pay on desktop.

3. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Sorry for asking, this must be an old question. Still... how does one use Taobao's website? I have been trying to register, and nothing works.
    Both desktop and mobile websites seem broken, starting from the dropdown menu with the country code. What am I missing? Does China use a different version of www? Serious question.

4. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They keep changing it so it's best to consult the HowToTao blog. I believe you should still register from the world.taobao.com portal.
    Don't bother browsing on a phone, they will annoy you into using their app(even when desktop mode).

If you're not in East, South East Asia or Aus/NZ, you'll likely need to use a proxy. Not really sure what's the state of official forwarding to NA at the moment.

Also some agents allow you to search TB through their own site so you may not need a TB account (it is still handy to have one).

• Like Like x 1
  5. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    Do you have English translation switched on in Chrome? The translating weirds out the links. I search with the product code and switch to Chinese and links, prices etc generally work. Same as adding items to cart.

Plus, I'm not using a proxy so it's not needed for Aus.

Speaking of in app searches, I'm getting a lot of chat messages from people and through button mashing I'm getting .01 Yuan added to my Alipay. What's this special?
    1000032396.jpg

6. Kung Fu Roo

Im not using a proxy for taobao. tried multiple browsers and all of them lead to item pages like the pic below (logged in). Happens in chinese or english or set to various locales like aus, mainlaind, worldwide etc. removed translator extension. cleared cache etc. nothing works.

contacted customer service. they werent much help.. they said better to just buy in app. Tried to explain as an english speaker its much easier to browse and translate on desktop but thhat was lost in translation i guess. this issue is a game breaker for me. wont 100% keep me off of taobao but it kills the joy of browsing shit.

too annoying and slow to screen shot to translate on phone.. especially when i look through tons of shit in various genres. easier to get product info quickly on pc.. and catch shit like for parts/broken/untested especially with used tech. i will contact customer service again if it doesnt clear up in a couple of days..

as far as money being added to your alipay.. idk.. never liked the app much and dont understand much about it cause i cant read mandarin.. the coins? that dog screen? etc....rarely used it in the past... maybe browsing when out of the house in a waiting room or something.... but am being forced to use it now..

mandarin no translator

IMG_20240505_102650.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2024
  7. minstral

News Credits:
    And what happens when you scan the QR code? Try scanning it with the app? That option is on the left side of the app screen, at the top.

Otherwise try clearing the browser cache? Not sure if that's a thing as it's happening across browsers.

8. Kung Fu Roo

if i scan it with the app it just takes me to the normal page on the app with full description and cart/buying options. the app works its just hard taking 10 pictures to translate or whatever to read a full description that may be a longer one. on desktop i just scroll down a few secs plus googles translators is better than the one i put on my phone.

if i add something to cart on the app its still the same and shows up in my cart on desktop and i can order whatevers in my cart through desktop.. just cant get full item listing as intended on desktop.. no description, cant buy or add to cart either.. just QR codes.. literally happened and changed from normal to what it is now while i was browsing through a store and going from like page 10 to 11 and its items..

9. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Any VPN?

I see this when I use VPN on Opera:

Screenshot_20240505_191947_Opera.jpg

10. Kung Fu Roo

i never use a vpn for taobao. idk if it was my isp, taobao or what, but it corrected now. thank the china..

• Like Like x 1
  11. jim380

jim380 Active Member

Do the better known sellers taking PO on Taobao usually have the item in stock for sales after the item had been released? And is the price differences significant between the PO and after the release ?

it’s just seems more straight forward to buy a in stock item then to do a pre-order

12. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends more on the brand. FT is often PO only. NA may not have release stock if the character is popular, but there is usually restocks later. The rest should be safe.

5~10% so it gets significant on expensive stuff but on cheaper items, might not be worth the hassle.

There's a good compromise that's the "In Stock Soon" listings, you make the full payment then the platform holds it until it's released and dispatched like a regular buy. However they are only available for some brands like IF and Dr Wu, and are only put up 2 weeks to 2 months before release.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kung Fu Roo

Shipped out an order today., still just redirected me to taobao and let me pay that didnt force alipay nor any drop down menu..

14. jim380

jim380 Active Member

I’m trying to understand how does PO works. FT Viper seems to be full price now.

if you have pre ordered it, does it mean what ever price is listed, the seller will reduce the listed price for you which is only visible to you? If you have not done the pre order, you would pay whatever is listed ?

15. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

You have to look for those "ready stock" listings. Some listings are for pre-order fulfillment only.

From what I see, in-stock prices are around 900 yuan (US$125). Anything close to 800 yuan or lower are pre-order fulfillment only.

If you had pre-ordered, the seller will usually ask you to bid, then he adjusts the price, then you pay.

The final price (including pre-order deposit) is around 770 yuan (US$107).

• Like Like x 1
  16. minstral

News Credits:
    I had a seller reach out to me and asked me to ping our chat. Apparently Taobao are preventing sellers from messaging buyers if there's been no activity after 30 days. So, if you pre ordered an item that's a long way out, best to make a note of that seller and reach out to them when you see FB or other posts about its release. Otherwise you might lose out on any preorder if the seller tries to reach out to you and it fails.

Sellers also ask you to join wechat but there's so much activity there, and the fact that I can't read Chinese, any notifications to pay balance is quickly lost by other members chatting.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jim380

jim380 Active Member

Thanks, I assume 预售 means preorder fulfillment then? what will happen if I make a purchase for a listing that is meant for pre order fulfillment when I did not preorder? The seller will cancel my order ?

I’m having difficulty understanding what the listing is saying … had not been needing to read Chinese for a long time lol

18. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    预售 = preorder,balance payment is usually listed as some 补款, 仅补款 option. Some sellers will require you to order the in-stock, back out of payment then contact their CS to change the price, some refund you the deposit in the form of red packet/platform credit voucher. There is really no one standard to the deposit>balance PO method so you definitely should read the listing and clarify with the CS.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jim380

jim380 Active Member

thanks, the process is sooo complex

20. solskjaer

solskjaer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which seller? Thor Toys total is 820 yuan