Buying Transformers on Taobao

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by botfan, Feb 25, 2017.

1. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    What happened to the option to search and buy used items on the Taobao website. Has it moved to a separate platform?

2. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah it shifted to xianyu years ago. They've subsequently made xianyu results less and less searchable on the Taobao site and even third party search engines. With the website revamp last year even 2nd hand items posted by taobao shops are not searchable. I think 2nd hand items are still indexed in the shop pages though.

3. minstral

News Credits:
    That must be what I saw, 2nd hand items posted by Taobao shops. Their used to be a Used option next to TMALL.

Is it easy to purchase from xianyu as an overseas resident or does that need a tfw thread also? :D . Probably risks involved too buying used and being overseas...

4. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno if xianyu app supports international payment options like TB. You might need a verified alipay account and ways to top up funds. You'll definitely need to use the chat with the seller. I'm lazy to explore the platform due to this.

Alternatively you can use a 3rd party agent, they also service xianyu now and do everything from vetting the listing to communicating with the seller. However they charge an additional fee for xianyu due to the manual work involved so that might negate the savings.

You can search posts by @SJW here or at the liketoys thread, they have detailed breakdowns of buying from xianyu through an agent to Europe.

5. Marcelo Antunes

Marcelo Antunes FansToys Historian/Scholar

It seems that QIQIKUKA might have folded or went rogue. If you have POs with them, take care.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This QIQIKUKA?
    首页-奇奇酷咔模玩-淘宝网
    I just bought from them last month during 11/11 but it was some Hasbro TFs.

7. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

havent ordered from taobao for awhile. can i just order on desk top and pay shipping via the app using @minstral guide still or did the process change again?

8. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that's what I did. Order on PC and pay shipping on mobile app.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

thanks for the reply. its what i use to do but havent ordered for awhile and wasnt sure if things changed or not. was your order recent?

10. nicklocking

nicklocking Well-Known Member

My post here Buying Transformers on Taobao outlines how I recently got an order from taobao shipped to USA. I've done another one since then, that arrived a week ago - 7 days total between ordering and arrival at my door (California).

• Like Like x 1
  11. minstral

News Credits:
    Nothing seems to have changed. One thing that has happened is I've had a few refunds for shipping and they go back on as Alipay credit. You can use those and pay on the desktop. I've kept them though as good for paying for things to be returned to sellers if there's an issue after arriving at the warehouse.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Marcelo Antunes

Marcelo Antunes FansToys Historian/Scholar

Yes that's it. But I made a mistake, they are still ok, what changed (and the reason I thought there was a problem) is that the owner seems to have changed their phone number, so their wechat channel suddenly begun showing jewels and the like :p !

13. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There seems to be one guy flaming them relentlessly on tieba. It's something about them not fulfilling his FT Phantasm PO made in 2020. I don't follow FT but wasn't Phantasm released almost a year ago?? Why is he only pursuing it now?
    奇奇酷咔关店 真是不要脸【变形金刚玩具吧】_百度贴吧
    According to the other less angry posters the shop's account was locked and they had to open a new shop so that's probably what you've encountered.

14. buttheaditron

buttheaditron Active Member

I've had a heck of a time logging in to Taobao lately. Has anyone else experienced this? It wants login information, then when I go through the whole process i need to scan a QR code which takes me nowhere.

15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

Try using Superbuy and just processing the links through there.

16. ultramic

ultramic Well-Known Member

For me, taobao is no longer the cheapest option due to their high postage costs. AliExpress or even showz usually work out better for me.

17. minstral

News Credits:
    I went through the one time login providing mobile and entering in SMS'ed code. Now I scan the onscreen QR code with the mobile App.

I've noticed also that the individual listing pages now appear like the TMALL format. Easier to add something to the cart (instead of the old way of bashing the mouse key or translating to chinese so it works with one click), but now accessing the chat is more cumbersome

18. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    Not only that:
    • No mention of whether the product is taking part in a sale, i.e. cross shop discount. Since all Tmall products by default are eligible during sales, there was no need for this function, but they forgot that not all Taobao shops take part. Now it only shows in your cart
    • Can't change shipping location within the product page. So if the "Add to Cart" & "Buy" options are greyed out, have to use the app to do so
    • Not much visual difference between Taobao and Tmall product pages. Everything looks like a Tmall product
    Also, since I use Google Translate plugin on Chrome, the Tmall format is buggy. It doesn't reflect the change in price when I select different products in the product selection, I have to switch back to Chinese to see the price change. Not sure if anyone else has this.

I generally don't like the Tmall format. Gimme the Taobao format anyday.

19. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

I tried it on my notebook today and... I almost couldn't recall how the old format looked like. :p 

The new look is more simplified and looks 'mobile friendly'.

No choice, almost every website is converging on this simple look. (TaoBao is already years behind.)

This look works fine on mobile, but I dislike it on desktop. It packs little information in a single screen and hence need to scroll more.

20. minstral

News Credits:
    Same issue with price for me. Prices are wrong in search result and product pages, until I switch back to Chinese and don't translate