Buying Transformers on Taobao

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by botfan, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Marcelo Antunes

Marcelo Antunes FansToys-Only Collector

In the desktop version you surely can't (at least from my country). I was not sure about the mobile version, though.

2. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you using a mobile device to call up the desktop version? It's working fine on my PC without login.

Alibaba group is extremely aggressive about pushing their mobile apps, I'm not surprised if they implemented a check like that.

3. Marcelo Antunes

I use it both on desktop and mobile, but my mobile is always logged in, thus the doubt.

4. Trans4mers

Trans4mers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the reply.

5. kshgrshrm

kshgrshrm Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Doing my first purchase through taobao. I initially entered my shipping destination as my home address in India. The seller has asked me to search for a chinese freight warehouse to ship to. How do i find these warehouses' addresses?

6. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The whole platform serves domestic China only, you need an agent to forward the items to you. Try to google "taobao agent <your country>", there are quite a number of them out there.

7. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

From my future self: the answer is yes. :D 

I bought a second batch from another seller as the first seller can only ship by sea now. His listing did not mention batteries, nor did I check with him. I just decided to tempt fate. :D 

I got the items with battery installed. No issues.

What I bought were a bunch of cheap digital hygrometers to monitor humidity throughout my flat:

hygrometer_digital_FY11.png

Each one is ~4 yuan (~80 cents), excluding local shipping.

The problem is that while they are consistent within their batch, the two batches are not. One is 3% higher than the other.

Same as @Hougangkid, I found that some (many?) -- but not all -- items can now be shipped by air.

One of my concerns with the substitution method: not able to leave negative feedback -- it's for the wrong item. Not for the above item, but in general.

I totally forgot about my DVD "adventures" last year. I went through several rounds of exchange for some of them... :eek: 

8. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    Interesting, considering that based on the photos alone, it's obvious that they require batteries, and yet can still clear. I take it that this is Cainiao warehouse?

Did you buy it for your TF collection or for something else, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, what is the weight and dimensions? If it is light and small, then it might also be a cheap way to buy LR44 batteries. :lol 

I usually don't bother with reviews for substituted items, no point. I can only praise the seller, but not the product.

And unless the item is cheap, I don't think I will use the substitution method with sellers I am unsure of, because if let's say, instead of receiving the item you wanted, the seller actually sends you the item from the listing you used to buy from, Taobao can't cover you cos technically the seller sent you the 'right' item. It's up to the good faith of the seller if he wants to send you the correct item again. So unless the sellers are trustworthy, it's a risk to take.

9. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

It's a risk both ways. What if you accuse the seller of sending the wrong stuff? :D 

I believe you can submit the chats as proof -- the chat history should be visible to TaoBao.

In any case, I've done it with many sellers on my first transaction with them. Need to explain to some of them, but all said okay.

I usually don't leave written feedback unless it is quite negative (and buyers are likely to encounter it). :D 

There had been a few times I couldn't do so because they were substituted items. Nothing major. I still give +1, but just to leave a warning for future buyers.

Yes.

电子温湿度计

4.8cm x 2.8cm x 1.5cm.

You can get a pack of 10 LR44 button batteries for 2 yuan... but whether it can get past warehouse / Customs is another story. :D 

Not really for TF. Do they suffer from mold? :D  I have a greater concern for my board game collection.

I bought them to monitor humidity level throughout my flat. In theory, I only need one, but since they are so cheap, I bought a few to put one in each room. (I bought a second time to put them all over the place. :p )

I already put 'thirsty hippo' in my closets, so the contents should be safe from mold.

My findings:
    - If unenclosed (i.e. windows open), humidity ranges from 70+% (day) - ~80% (night) - 85+% (after rain)
    - If enclosed (including door), ~70%
    - If on air-con, 50-60%, but will go back to 70% after a while
    - One room is always 80+% if enclosed. Goes down with air-con, but creeps back after a while
    - Closets with 'thirsty hippo' are ~60-70% (not much diff)
    - I have a small electrical dehumidifier that absorbs moisture, but does not bring humidity level down at all

I'm wondering how to bring humidity level down to 50% for at least one room. The other question I have is, why is one room (the Master room) always 80+% -- even with air-con on. I have mild mold problems in that room, nowhere else.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  10. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have the aircon at lowest temperature setting and low to medium blower setting for maximum dehumidifiying effect. Pray your drain pipe isn't blocked or it'll rain indoors.

Also note that your meter is measuring relative humidity, so it'Il adjust to same % due to the new temperature.

The protective aluminium or zinc coating on metal screws, pins and rivets oxidize into a white powder if they are exposed to high humidity for long time. If this oxide layer is rubbed away or penetrated, the steel underneath will start to rust.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  11. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    I will bother to write positive reviews as well, especially for sellers I use often, so they get more business and continue to stick around.

LR44 batts on its own will sure get Gandalfed by the warehouse. Your hygrometer is 25g and dimensions are small. Might as well buy new ones if you want to change batts. Just chuck it into any of your existing orders, and the shipping is negligible. Unless you can find batt selling for less than 40ct a piece.

The plastic on some of my old toys, and even my PS3 controller triggers get sticky, not sure if humidity plays a part though.

12. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

So basically let the compressor run all the time? Won't that be costly? :eek: 

The strange thing is that setting my air-con to dry mode makes the room even more humid! (So never assume.) Something is wrong.

Anyway, I stumbled on this book review by chance:

Both volumes can be found easily by using "变形金刚方舟". The list price is 120 yuan (US$17), but can be found at half that.

13. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you keep the air-con room closed throughout the day then it should be able to maintain that humidity for quite a while even when the air-con is off. Maybe air it in the late evening when the air is cooler (Hot air carries more water vapor), or just don't air it until you really need to (e.g. Bad odor).

The dry mode on my aircon has similar issue, I think the blower setting in that mode is too low for the size of the room, so the aircon ends up mostly drying its immediate surrounding only. The dry mode also stops when it senses 60% humidity too, according to the instruction manual, meaning the farther areas might be stuck at 80% no matter how long you have it on.

14. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just received my first taobao order since the CB. It's 3 items, 2.48kg self pickup at POPSTATION.

Apr 26 Orders placed
    Apr 28 Items reached SG warehouse, forwarding order placed
    Apr 29 Forwarding order dispatched
    May 02 Forwarding order reach and clear Mainland customs, awaiting flight
    May 03 Reached SG Customs
    May 04 Cleared SG Customs
    May 06 Reach Singpost processing facility, put up at POPSTATION

Boxes seem more crushed than previous shipments... Luckily the shipment was all toys with bloated packaging, model kits may not have survived.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hoptimusprime

hoptimusprime Well-Known Member

Has anyone paid the balance on pre-ordered Sheridan from ThorToys yet?

16. solskjaer

solskjaer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know a lot of buyers did but he is coming in two batches. Have you asked him?

17. Marcelo Antunes

It seems Iceman was just released, so the new batch of Sheridan is after that, or together.

18. solskjaer

solskjaer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t think so, Iceman will have to wait another 2-3 weeks according to my seller. Sheridan’s 2nd batch has arrived, at least for my seller.

19. Marcelo Antunes

The date of release is May 7th, but some dealers already got it. See Facebook.

20. hoptimusprime

hoptimusprime Well-Known Member

I asked but they really didn’t give me an answer