Buying Third Party: A Beginners Desperate Letter For Help

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by agent j 15, Apr 13, 2020.

1. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

So I’ve been thinking about getting into Third Party transformers now that I’m making a bit of decent money at this new job (getting a $1200 check from SENTINEL PRIME ;)  doesn’t hurt either), but before I go buy something that’ll never show up I wanna ask a few questions.

What sites are reputable? I’m buying Ismenios and the Upgrade kit for him from The Chosen Prime, but Kultur is only available from AgesThreeAndUp - I’m not saying these places are scams but how’s their customer service?

Also I know that the situation with the USPS is tricky right now (for reasons we can’t really discuss on the boards) so should I just wait til that’s resolved? I don’t wanna drop 200 on something if it ends up not shipping because of politics stuff.

Maybe this is all paranoia, but hey, I’m about to buy Third Party for the first time ever, can ya blame me?

2. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    Throw your phone in a bottomless pit and run before u end up like the rest of us

Ppl are going to tell u to buy this brand or that. Buy what u like and enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 24
  3. arcticgenes

arcticgenes Well-Known Member

3rd party can be acquired from multiple sites within and outside the US. Ever site has its lovers / haters and its pros / cons. I say find what you looking for and if you have a question about the merchant, than search the forums for that specific one. There are plenty of threads for each seller.

As for all the issues with shipping right now. Nothing is for sure, but anything you buy from a reputable place will show up sooner or later. If you don't need it now and think the item in question will still be there in a month, than wait. Otherwise buy the new shiny and worst case scenario you lock in your order and it will show up once the dust settles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

There are a few great sites:

ShowZstore
    TFSource
    AgesThreeandUP
    TheChosenPrime
    CapturedPrey

On Ebay, bababobo and netclow are the safe ones... there are a few more too but ultimately, i recommend using PayPal to pay and not ordering any pre-orders nor anything that can't ship right now. I can't remember the period of protection under Paypal, just make sure you are never in a position to exceed that time limit as you are completely covered until that date and then assume all the risk thereafter. So never go for pre-orders or anything that doesn't ship right now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tef

Tef Well-Known Member

-Agethreeandup: good place... decent prices, get stuff late but it's USA based so it's normal they get their stuff months after most other site... customer service I never had any problems with them so never used Customer Service
    -BBTS: again good place... prices are a bit high... again located in USA so they get their stuff super late... customer service pretty good, had a bunch of orders with defect that they either sent me the replacement piece or whole figure replaced.
    -toywiz: another USA based site... decent price and everything... just be mindful your stuff will have custom fees
    -robotoybase: my favorite place, they get their stuff SUPER early... most of the times before anyone else... decent price great service... only problem is because of Covid,they stopped shipping pretty much anywhere :( 
    -Robotkingdom: another great place, get most official stuff super early... customer servic is great.. but the shipping price are a bit Exagerated... if you dont mind doubling your order price for the shipping... its a good place
    -Sirtoys: Everyone's favorite KO place.. they also have originals stuff... great price, amazing customer service
    -TF-Direct: another great place that get stuff early... mostly 3rd party and KO stuff... good shipping prices
    -Showz: another site which gets stuff super early... great prices and greater selection... they're a bit slow in shipping tho... if you dont mind waiting
    -Actionrobo: decent place, decent price, decent disponibility... never had to use the customer service... guess its a good thing
    -Toydojo: decent place, decent price, decent disponibility... never had to use the customer service... guess its a good thing

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rulocal

Rulocal Well-Known Member

7. Raelthorne

Raelthorne Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  8. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

Careful with Robotkingdom, they had a databreach, and some funds were diverted to hackers and those members here were out of luck i think...

9. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    @Tef - Some corrections, however correct.

A3U - Based in Burnaby, British Columbia not United States. Gets the stuff from US distributers. The owner (Boris) is good friends with Eddie (Toy Dojo). Also carries 1/6th stuff as well.

Robotoybase/Robotkingdom - Used to be Chimungmung (Based in Hong Kong)

Robotoybase deal mostly with TFs (official and 3rd party). Robotkingdom is mostly 6 inch stuff and other related stuff.

* TF-Direct: Be carful in using this site as some members are not too pleased (YMMV)

Edit: @mtl79- I think that has been resolved to the best of my knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rulocal

Rulocal Well-Known Member

Fixed it now thanks :D 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

You will find it difficult to find all the back catalog stuff you want in stock, let alone at the same retailer. just dip your toe in with the sponsored websites then work your way from there.

baba on eBay is the real deal and completely trusted. The buy sell forum on here deserves your attention also.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    I knew my joke of "Cant wait to see all of the TV boxes on the curb" holds water.

13. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    I bet Andrew Yang threw his hands up in one of those, "that was my idea" gestures when the $1200 per person thing announced.

My advice would be the same as they give those who win the lottery. Don't alter your lifestyle immediately just because you find yourself in a new job with more money. Take a few months to adjust before taking on the big money spending.

Otherwise, buy what you like from any of those sites listed above. Except maybe CapturePrey. Poor Orson is apparently going through some stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Chosen Prime is a reputable store. I also use BBTS a lot. Don't give TF Source your credit card number. I've never had problems buying from Chinese ebay sellers but use common sense when ordering from one: check feedback and avoid too good to be true pricing.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

Be responsible, just because you have the funds for a 3p figure doesn't mean you need it. Don't impulse buy, 50 bucks for an official is more forgiving than 170 or 200 for a 3p figure.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Captured Prey unfortunately would be a no go sir. They are pretty much out of business and have some kind of situation going on, everything as far as I know shows as solid out on their website. People are having problems getting past orders filled and getting refunds on items they've ordered that haven't been fulfilled.

This is in no way a bash on the guy, but just a heads up about that whole situation.

• Like Like x 2
  17. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Captured Prey has gone rogue. Think they've been shady for like at least two years now.

18. neomoz

neomoz Well-Known Member

With the current covid19 situation, many sellers will have issues getting stock or shipping it, then there are those that don't survive from the drop in sales. Right now is probably the worst time ever to dip your toes into 3rd party stuff imo.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected! Sad to hear that happened :( 

20. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

Hopefully anyone affected got their money back through the website and didn't have to go through the hassle of getting it back from their credit card company!