Buying from Japan

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by That Guy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a question, I'm looking to get AM-12 Breakdown, and I've looked at BBTS, TFsource, and Ebay, but I do have a buddy heading to Japan on a job for the next year, how much cheaper would it be to have him buy it over there and ship it to me? Anyone have experience doing something like this?

Thanks for the info.

2. froggy124

froggy124 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AM Break Down is about 3200 at cheapest retail. Which works out to be about 37 US, if he can find one (getting kinda scarce)
    Most expensive I've seen one is 4200 which is about 47 US.
    I ship using SAL which is economy air mail.
    Takes 2 weeks.
    For a box that big I'm guessing bout $15, less if you take out the box transform in its alt mode.
    Hope that helps, sorry but I don't know how much that compares to online stores such as bbts.

3. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks! That helps a lot, now I have a ballpark when comparing prices.

4. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Using standard shipping (SAL), it may take 2-3 weeks to reach the States (EMS is much faster but expensive).

But I was over in Japan recently (Tokyo, Nagoya, and Toyota) and been to quite a few of the major stores that sell TFs. If that's any indication, AM-12 Breakdown will be difficult to find since the big retailers tend to put up the more recent TFP/AM offerings fast and the older stuff is generally not available on shelves. BD will be either sold out (it's been a few months since he was released, after all) or perhaps hidden in stock rooms, in which case a fluent Japanese speaker may be required to ask an employee to look back there -- I'm leaning more toward BD being sold out most everywhere.

You can probably ask your friend to look in hobby stores (that sell both new and used toys; again, be sure to ask the employee if a boxed figure is indeed new and not used if you care about MISB condition) but be aware this option will be more expensive than major retailer stores (like Yodabashi Camera, Bic Camera, Kid's Land, etc.). I personally didn't see AM-12 Breakdown at all despite going to a dozen or so places (heck, I couldn't even find any of the older Arms Microns either, just three of the newer ones), but I did see (and buy) the black Cylas/Silas version of Breakdown (since he was just recently released over there).

Long story short, I don't think you'll be saving too much money going this route unless your friend is lucky enough to even find BD, but your mileage may vary.

5. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'd say just go ebay, that's what I did wednesday. :D