Buying a cat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Macross79, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Macross79

Macross79 Banned

Like the title says, I am going to get a cat. I want it to be a kitten when I get it, that way I train and groom it how I want to. Besides, it's going to be easy for me and the cat, once I come up with a name. So therefore, I put up a list of some potential names for my cat from various Transformers characters, but don't know which name to choose from. I came

Prowl
    Ravage
    Brawn
    Ratchet
    Springer
    Wheelie
    Devcon
    Groove
    Pounce
    Bonecrusher
    Rampage
    Grimlock
    Snarl
    Cliffjumper

2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Well first, I hope you’re adopting a kitten, and not actually buying a kitten.

Then, I’d say you should get the kitty first, and then determine which of those names best suit the cat that you got. Like, don’t pick “Ravage” for the name, only to get an all-white cat...

• Like Like x 9
  3. Macross79

Macross79 Banned

Yeah, adopt a kitten sorry, that's what I want to say. Thanks for the clarifications.

• Like Like x 3
  4. GoLion

GoLion 誰がおならをした

News Credits:
    Adopt a senior. They don't get enough attention. They're usually litter trained, and they make loving companions.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There's nothing wrong with getting a certified pre-owned cat with a few miles on them. You might be better suited adopting the cat and then seeing what name you think fits best.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Get one of those hairless mutant cats.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Macross79

Macross79 Banned

Well if I get a pre-owned cat, it would be hard to change it's name.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot *º*Hockey mom and coach*º*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Nah, just change it. I've done it will all my adopted pets. Just tell them what their new name is.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    If it's a boy, dye his coat red and his paws blue and call him Optimus.

If it's a girl, dye her coat pink and white and call her Arcee

:D 

I'm kidding

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I find it best to go to a place where you can play with the animals first and get their temperment first. Most shelters will usually let you play with a couple of the animals in a room. Some stores like Petsmart as well. See how they react.

Keep in mind what ever animal you get you will most likely have for 13 to 20 years if all goes well.

I had an orange tabby last till he was 21. He tried to hang in longer, but his body just gave out.

I still miss him.

Currently have 2. One is between 13 or 14 and the other is around 5.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They don't mind much.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

Then he'd have Shattered Glass Ravage!

Why?

13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Rule 1 of owning a cat.

The cat trains you, you don't train the cat.

And you probably won't use any of those names. Pet names usually end up forming over time as you bond with the animal.

• Like Like x 4
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    Cats don't really care what they're named. I've had cats my whole life and only two ever learned their names. (or cared, rather)

Also, if the cat does have a name it knows, then don't change it. Don't just get a cat so you can name it after a Transformer, get it because you want a pet and companion. And I'll second the "adopt an older cat." Don't buy a kitten from a litter or, God forbid, a pet store. There's a lot of older cats that need homes out there.

• Like Like x 3
  15. smkspy

Also buying an older cat that you know has good socialization skills will greatly help if you decide to get another cat in the future.

Buying a kitten and raising it alone, there is always the high risk it will be a total asshole if you ever get a second cat.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Well i just want to say thats what i did when i lost my oldest cat of 13 yrs. I went to the pound/shelter and adopted a kitten. That kitten i have was really small when droped off at the pound and the pound told me she was 5 months old. Now after two and half yrs old shes wonderful and loves to play. So since i have 2 other grown boys she loves to play with them. Those kittens or grown cats at the pound are really cool. Id adopt all their cats if i didn't live in a apt. I hate to see cats get put down after so long cause no one wants them and its costly to keep them. This is my take on pound cats or shelter but to me it don't matter just love them cause they will show you love back.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, and the most important thing I've learned is that the cat chooses you. You don't choose the cat. With mine, he started out as my friend's kitten. Somehow we ended up bonding or whatever as he laid napping on my lap on the ride home (I went with him to pick him up). Ever since that moment, every time I would go to his house to hang out, the cat seemed to just know when I was coming over. I was told he'd be sitting by the window looking out, and waiting for me to arrive sometimes waiting as much as 10-15 minutes. And that behavior was only with me when I'd be coming over. He'd be more sociable when I was there as opposed to any other person that would be at his house including himself and his gf. I would always be told "Man, he acts totally different with you around! WTF!?" :lol  But a few years later, his landlord sold the house from underneath him and didn't give him 30 days notice. He didn't want to give up the cat to the SPCA because he feared no one would take him in and he'd be put down. So I ended up taking the cat. Been a loving cuddle monster of a pet ever since.

• Like Like x 6
  18. smkspy

I'm going to say this not as a judgemental thing, but as a naming comment in general. Sometimes naming a pet after your hobby works, but don't force that name on the pet because of your hobby.

You may like the idea of naming a cat bonecrusher or grimlock, but if it doesn't fit the pet's relationship with you... it's not a good basis for establishing a bond between you and the pet.

And names evolve too. One of my dog's name is Lana after the character from Archer. But now she's less "Lana" and more Nanner or Naynay and Nanner bananner.

The other dog is Preston after Preston Garvey from Fallout 4. But we call him Pooter or Poots cause he's gasey.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    All I can imagine is Preston Garvey nonchalantly letting out loud wet ones in the middle of a comversation and completly ignoring it.

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    We just adopted a kitten from a rescue organization 2 months ago. She, her momma and 6 siblings were found under a deck; named her Lilo and shes pretty cute.

we had cats before, but forgot how hyper kittens can be and honestly the best research that we have done is watching "Cat From Hell". Coles notes if you don't want to watch it.

1. Set up your house for a cat: Of course try and cat proof what you can, but also give them access to high places so they can look down and feel safe.
    2. Play with your cat using cat specific toys like sticks with feathers. Don't use your hands or feet to play rough with them as this will lead them to look at feet and hands of your guests as toys.
    3. Understand that certain breeds have different personalities and may do better or worse in certain environments. Typical cats are fine in most cases, but Sphinxs and Bengals are unique, but require a different level of care.
    4. Keeping a cat indoor is usually betting for it in the long run.

Good luck.