Bumblebee - One Year Ago

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheSoundwave, Dec 8, 2019.

1. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Today is the one year anniversary of Bumblebee...if you went to the early fan event. Even if waited until the regular release, I thought it would be fun to have a thread to discuss what we think of it a year later.

If I had remembered today was the movie's anniversary, I would have rewached it today. I still loved it last time I saw it, and look forward to watching it again soon. Bumblebee was easily the greatest theater-going experience I had since The Force Awakens, and I haven't felt that excited watching a movie since (and probably won't for quite a while...it's one of those rare experiences that can't really be recreated). It's hard to believe it's been a full year, it feels like only a few months. I remember the buildup seeming like a really long time!

I showed the movie to some friends back in spring, and they seemed to enjoy it. Since then, I've brought it up in conversation to a handful of people. Several people I've talked to have also seen it and liked it. It definitely hasn't become a huge mega hit, but I'm glad that people seem to be reacting well to it. I have a feeling it will be one of those special gems that was a bit overlooked initially, but over the years more and more people will discover it and fall in love with it.

How is everyone else feeling about Bumblebee a year after its release? Have you had any fun Bumblebee-related stories in the past year? Feel free to share here!

NextCookedAmericanbobtail-size_restricted.gif

• Like Like x 4
  2. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still love the movie I had a friend who I knew since middle school she did not like transformers fast forward to my senoir year of high school the same friend saw the movie and she loved it and I remember my theater getting excited at the cybertron scene some dude yelled fuck yea when we first see shockwave and starscream

• Like Like x 4
  3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a reminder of what could be, while stained by what was. I'm mixed on it, after a lot of thought.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ive never cried while watching a movie but after i saw that camaro i almost did still gives me goosebumps

5. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

It's a great film in general, but it shows potential for greater things to come. The new visual style is clearer and much more aesthetic, so if they ever reach the scale of the battles in DotM for this new series, it's bound to look amazing. They also seem to care about characterization much more this time around.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    It's my favorite movie! Although it's not the greatest movie ever made (or that I have even seen for that matter), it affected me more than any other movie I had seen previously. It was the closest thing I wanted to a Transformers movie and I was overjoyed leaving the theater. I went on to see the movie three more times in theaters and bought plenty of Bumblebee merchandise. I got a Bumblebee standee and posters from work and right now I have the theatrical teaser poster proudly framed in my basement.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

It's the film we should have gotten back in 2007. In comparison, the fact 2007 is staged more like your typical 'alien invasion' film becomes ever more obvious and while it works from the angle of introducing a Decepticon first, it also has the consequence of spending about half the film almost exclusively on the humans instead of the titular robots who are supposed to be the main characters. To say nothing about the Decepticons barely getting any attention as individuals.

Bumblebee, meanwhile, gets straight to the point of showing the situation on Cybertron and having the Autobots at a severe disadvantage against the Decepticons, then BB gets to Earth where he's immediately jumped by "Blitzwing" and makes him both unable to communicate verbally and loses his memory about who he is or why he's on Earth.

And then Shatter and Dropkick, those two are a treat. Actual, meaningful characters being evil without being snarling, almost animalistic piles of pointy scrap metal, right down to their unique and pretty hardcore deaths. "Blitwing" also was a great character and probably the coolest design in the film, shame Hasbro seems hell bent on not producing a toy of him.

• Like Like x 4
  8. CongamingZ

CongamingZ Active Member

I still love it, its in my top 5 favorite movies

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Same here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Makai Lung

Makai Lung Banned

I loved it but sadly I have two remedial family members that don't like it.

11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Great movie. But not sold on the g1 scene

12. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    I still haven't even seen it.

13. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's in my top 3 live action Transformers films.

14. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

So refreshing after ten years of Michael Bay.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

For me, I still have that happy childhood feeling I had 35 years ago, when I ran off the school bus at rocket speed, making a beeline to the living room VCR to be spellbound and mesmerized for a half-hour, for the next few years.

I also recall signing up for AMC STUBS right before Bumblebee came out, and as luck would have it, found out that a special advance screening on 12/8/18 was occurring. Intensely excited by the trailers and other things I'd heard (especially from the guy here who saw the test screening:) :thumbs2: ), I treated myself to a delicious Indian Dinner at a local restaurant, 2 hrs before the special screening. Afterwards, walked across the parking lot and headed into the AMC. It was PACKED!

From the opening Paramount logo, to the end credits, I was blown away. . .And recall the Cybertron scene eliciting a ton of applause and happy cheering-from the iconic Optimus jump, to Arcee actually having a couple lines of dialogue, to Ravage jumping out of Soundwave's chest, and several other callbacks.

Bumblebee is the cinematic incarnation that should have debuted 12 years ago, as well as the 4 entries that followed. Also LOVED the designs, as well as the awesome character development. I just wish that Shatter and Dropkick had retreated, instead of the Decepticons once again buying the farm. Also wished the execs had released it later so that it wouldn't have had to compete with Aquaman and the other top films at the time. Refreshing to see that Knight & Co. actually gave plenty of damns about the property they drew from, and in how they translated it to the screen.

Another big thing for me, was the letter Travis Knight penned in response to some concerns-upon reading it, I felt he was genuine and sincere-and that feeling cautiously grew with all the behind-the-scenes information I gleaned. Wishful thinking, but maybe someone (a 3P Company) can release a Blitzwing figure with G1 colors, as well as actual triple-changing Shatter & Dropkick figures??? I can dream. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy the special Blu-Ray version and maybe even draw my own Knightverse renditions of some other characters. If there are any more films, I hope that notes were taken from Knight & Hodson.

• Like Like x 1
  16. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's enjoyable enough as a one-off. Wondering how the next newest direction going forward would pay off.

Really?

Unless this is sarcasm. There's no way you could have made the joke on the Decepticon arrival if that was the case.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  17. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    I really haven't seen it. I just made that joke based on what the OP said. Didn't even know that's how the Decepticons showed up until it was mentioned.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Still the best Transformers movie we've ever had, faint praise as that is. It's a genuinely adorable yet exciting movie and feels so refreshing, not just after Bay's films, but after Hollywood's endless gigantic blockbusters where everything is so large scale. The big finale takes place at a shipyard and there's two fistfights. No spaceships, no city-evaporating explosions, no huge alien invasion or hordes of bad guys, just three people slugging it out.

It was so relieving to not have a headache leaving the theater for once.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Minibots

Minibots Well-Known Member

Not a masterpiece by any means but a damn good movie that is leagues ahead of whatever the Bayverse was.

20. Galvatron2000

Galvatron2000 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    5 minutes more of acction thats it...and the decepticons names.

But is still my favorite movie.

:bowdown: Travis Knight