Bumblebee Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by StarscreamtheMovie, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Just saw the movie today. To keep it simple, it's a good movie. I have such mixed feelings because of my personal feelings toward the prior live action movies. Charlie's story like was well played into, even if Cena's role was incredibly cartoonish. As a reboot film? Sure, why not. It's still got Bay's name all over it (how many 'executive producers' do you need????) But for Pete's sake, I wish they would create a full length film for once that was all about the Autobots and Decepticons and not the humans. Sure Earth is full of em, but they're so secondary to the role of this epic war that is two races divided that could be a counterpart to our own plights. Bumblebee as a protagonist on his own is fine because he's a character that embraces culture and has always been shown even down to his G1 roots to be a friendly soul. But I'm good without a solo sequel. I just wish it hadn't taken 12 years, a writers strike, Bay stepping back, and the ineptitude of Ehren Kruger to fix this formula.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait. You liked TLK better than Bumblebee? I mean, okay, you can do that but I find that incredibly hard to believe. I'll agree that TLK is worse than ROTF and pretty much the rest of this list, but I have to disagree with Bumblebee being the lowest. I can only imagine you grew up with the movies, so that would skew your opinion of Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 6
  3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'm 41 and grew up with G1 but like the movies more.
    The main way I determine how much I like a movie is by how much I'd like to watch it compared to other movies. Given the choice of which I'd watch, I would prefer TLK.
    There were times I was really disappointed during TLK, more than any point in Bumblebee. The low points in TLK were lower than those in Bumblebee for me. However, I didn't find myself as bored as often during TLK as I was during Bumblebee. TLK had more excitement and more lavish special effects. I did appreciate, though, how often transformations were shown in Bumblebee. It seemed like a lot more often than TLK.
    When reading reviews, I get the sense a lot of people base their opinions on movies that have the least low points as opposed to the most high points.
    I remember being disappointed with RotF the first time. But when I saw it again and was prepared for all the bad crude humor, such that it was no longer a surprise, I was able to enjoy the good parts much more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    ...there were good points? I'm being honest when I ask that. I was 27 when TF07 came out and there's something about being in your 20s and emotionally stunted that allows these ridiculous films to entertain and wow us. For whatever reason, once I hit my 30s, I hit my emotional stride, I guess you could say, and nuance and intelligence started to mean something to me in my entertainment. After seeing Bumblebee, I can't see any good points in any of the previous films that reach the same level. They all have their own charms, to some degree, but they're not the formula used in Bumblebee. I see none of those in TLK, at all, however.

You do you, that's fine, but Bumblebee ruined the previous movies for me, really. I can still watch them if I shut my mind off, but I don't have to do that with Bumblebee. And I think I appreciate that most of all.

5. hthrun

Ebay:
    Like I said in my initial post, the good points were the excitement. I don't mind "shutting off my mind" for a movie like these, they're supposed to primarily be fun. I watch documentaries about real life things for mental movies.

6. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    So do I, but even I have a limit and these films push that, from beginning to end, each and every time. And for me, the excitement has worn off. Bumblebee was exciting because it wasn't like the other films and I said it wasn't the film's strong suit the first time, but the second viewing was much better and escaping the shackles of what came before it was invigorating.

Man, it was a much-needed shot of "we can do better".

7. hthrun

Ebay:
    I thought Bumblebee had its dumb moments, they just weren't as hyper as the other movies.
    Like how the humans who were shot just turned to water. Their clothes just vanished. DotM did a better job where everything disintegrated.
    And the mean girl making fun of Charlie because her dad died. Even the meanest kids I knew wouldn't do stuff like that.
    The whole high school thing, again, was annoying. We already got to see Bee befriend a high school kid, except that movie had more excitement dealing with the actual plot as opposed to scenes of trying to teepee someone's house then running from the cops.
    I was really put off by Bumblebee bumbling around. I understand his memory is damaged, but I don't want to watch a Transformers movie for so much slapstick. People complained about it in other movies when secondary characters were doing it in the background, and this movie featured the titular character doing it.
    I think they could have left out the whole diving subplot. Her dive at the end didn't accomplish anything to help Bee. Actually, it was extremely dangerous because she would have had no idea of there was any debris where she was diving.
    imo this wasn't better, but that's just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Oh, they would today. No problem with it. I've seen and heard kids say things I'd never dream of saying, let alone think.

• Like Like x 2
  9. hthrun

Ebay:
    Things keep getting worse... :( 

• Like Like x 3
  10. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    There are videos on YouTube right now, that parents have been unsuccessfully trying to remove, in which suicide directions (how to slit wrists) are embedded between scenes of Elmo and Paw Patrol and the like on YouTube Kids. (I'm not joking.)

Teens take on suicide pacts over the internet, there's a whole thing to how savage these kids are today. You're right that it was out of place in the film and it does take you out of the moment because it wasn't nearly that bad back in the 80s (getting there, though) but it is today. So many poor, unfortunate souls take their own lives because their peers abuse them on a daily basis, both in school and at home over communication lines.

Yes, indeed, kids will make fun of a kid losing their parents because it's an easy wound to pick. Heck, there's a road rage video in which a lady became a meme because she poked her head out of her window and told the guy she hopes his kids get cancer. A grown woman saying that about innocent kids and kids watch YouTube and we wonder why they're monstrous these days.

That's one thing Knight got wrong with the film... That was a touch of today when we didn't have a lot of that back then. We had bullies, they went too far, but it was rare and odd for them to go THAT far. Like I said, the film wasn't perfect, and I have to agree with you that that scene wasn't the greatest.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Shut up Blur! ~The Rude Awakening of Optimus TFW2005 Supporter

It depends on where you grew up. Bullies and ***hole kids in the 80's would drop in on kids with issues like that like animals circling wounded prey. But back then you could whoop on some bullies and get a pat on the back. Now you get arrested and end up on YT.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but it’s something I just thought of. I like how Dropkick & Shatter’s alt modes were derived from a jerk that blew the rent money on his ride & had tried to sleep with his wife’s sister.
    It made me think back to when the G1 Decepticons were building the Stunticons & every car they used was taken from bad people. One was a getaway car for some thieves. One was a hyper aggressive racecar driver. And so on. It’s just a cool little tip of the hat that the bad guys get their alt mode from bad humans.

• Like Like x 4
  13. hthrun

Ebay:
    We send our kids to a private school to avoid stuff like that. I know it happens at plenty of private schools, but ours is small and the teachers do a good job. If things got even as bad as they did for me back in high school I'd pull them out and home school them...

14. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Oh, I've decided, I'm homeschooling my youngest. The indoctrination bothers me to no end, I want to give my kid all world views, rather than just one or some, but it's the gun and knife violence that's the scariest. Between wackos and teachers blowing their own heads off in front of the students to other students shooting up the schools, I've had it.

Call it helicopter parenting, it kind of is, but no one can harm him in that manner if I'm watching him. Heck, I'll even let him do the online schooling from home, if need be, but I'm not going to let him become a statistic with gun nuts and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

There are many aspects of why Bayverse failed, but from a creative aspect, it's constantly trying to be the biggest thing ever. Did you know the Hoover Dam was built because of Transformers? Did you know that the Pyramids were because of Transformers? The Moon landing? The dinosaurs' extinction? The Knights of the Round Table, Stonehenge, the Nazis, and Unicron is inside the Earth? Each movie gets so boiled down with dumb sophomoric conspiracy theories, every character is some sort of stereotype, and Michael Bay thinks that just blowing up something out of the blue constitutes a plot twist. What BB does is restore the franchise to its simple, non-cynical roots and makes just an innocent, wholesome movie. Obviously, Bayverse fanboys are going to be disappointed say it's nothing special and it's not as epic. You can basically predict everything they're gonna dislike about the movie, but for any film critics, who are supposed to evaluate the artistic and cultural merits of film, to say it's too formulaic and playing it safe really isn't insightful film critique. This should've been the very first live-action Transformers film, but it wasn't, and such a mundane film may not appeal to cynical people, but for genuine fans of Transformers, it meant the world to finally get all these basic elements that 10 years of Bayverse never even considered. Yes, it's a generic film. You're so enlightened for figuring that out!

• Like Like x 3
  16. hthrun

Ebay:
    Nothing wrong with helicopter parenting. Our society tries to push the kids away from the parents too early and weaken the family. That's a major reason we're seeing all the things in our society that you mentioned.
    Sounds like you've got a great plan!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Galvatross

Galvatross Make TFW2005 Shrektastic Again! Veteran

"...Genuine fans of Transformers..."

There's no need to bring in "true fan" arguments in a discussion about Bumblebee. The people who prefer Bumblebee are no more genuine Transformers fans than the Transformers fans who prefer Bayverse, or the people who don't like either, or the people who enjoy both.

I like G1. I like the Beast Era. I like the Bay movies. I like Bumblebee. I'm a "genuine fan of Transformers." It doesn't make the people who have different preferences any less genuine. I think both Bumblebee and the Bay movies are equally genuine Transformers films, regardless of personal preferences.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JohnStartop

I was comparing cynical critics and Transformers fans, not Bayverse Transformers and G1 Transformers. I couldn't have been more clear. Please don't project onto my comment.

19. Galvatross

Galvatross Make TFW2005 Shrektastic Again! Veteran

Yeah, sure, whatever you say. Even though it wasn't clear. Let's look at what you wrote again:

This should've been the very first live-action Transformers film, but it wasn't, and such a mundane film may not appeal to cynical people, but for genuine fans of Transformers, it meant the world to finally get all these basic elements that 10 years of Bayverse never even considered.

So are the "cynical people" (and you never clarify who these "cynical people" are, hence it's not clear at all) not "genuine fans of Transformers?" I don't know who these "cynical people" are from your post. You see what I mean? And why do you need to bring up "Genuine fans of Transformers?" What is a "genuine fan of Transformers?"

My point was that fan preferences do not make a "genuine fan of Transformers." I don't like the idea of there being "genuine fans of Transformers," as if some fans are "not genuine." The people who like the Bumblebee movie are "genuine fans of Transformers." The people who like the Bay movies are "genuine fans of Transformers." The people who like both are "genuine fans of Transformers." The people who don't like either, but who may like G1, Beast Era, Animated, Prime, etc., are "genuine fans of Transformers." Bringing up "genuine fans of Transformers" is completely baseless and pointless. People are allowed to like different things in the brand; it doesn't make some fans more or less "genuine."

You can state why you think the Bay movies are not continuing without bringing up "genuine fans of Transformers," and you can leave it at that.

• Like Like x 3
  20. JohnStartop

Literally, the phrase right before what you cut out is a whole statement of film critique. Really nice of you to cut RIGHT there.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1