Bumblebee Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by StarscreamtheMovie, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

Yeah, I hear ya. My relatives have spelled it Charlie and Charley. But never Charlee or Charly.

2. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I just saw it today. I hope they keep the rebooted movies in this time period, I really like Charlie and Bee's relationship, and I'd want to see those characters again.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Spontificus

Spontificus Well-Known Member

It's been some weeks since I saw it, but with the holidays and such I forgot to post about it.

If you are going to see one movie that is out in theaters now, see Into the Spider-Verse. But if you are going to see another movie, Bumblebee should be it. Bumblebee is easily the best Transformers film, though I still consider the G1 film my favorite for reasons independent of actual quality and more of it just being a fun watch. Good action that is actually follow-able, a nice plot, and good performances.

Still, I have my nitpicks. The story, while nice, is pretty familiar to anyone who has watched a movie about a kid meeting a kind alien that is lost on Earth, especially E.T. and The Iron Giant. While the plot similarities to older movies are obviously intentional, it still doesn't help the film stick out in my mind.

Charlie's introduction could have been done a bit better, since it makes the first impression of her being a bit of an unlikable, moody teenager. I would put the footage of her final swim meet right before we see her first wake up in her room as a kind of dream sequence. That would establish right off the bat that she was once a more likable, happy person who had a great relationship with her dad and the significance that diving had in that relationship.

But it's great to finally be looking forward to future TF movies instead of just having a feeling of morbid curiosity surrounding their release.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

i want to see either yms or ralphthemoviemaker review bumblebee but i can understand why they wouldn't

5. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I felt like they did a great job of establishing that she was once happier just by the one shot of the photo of her with her father, and the one line about wishing he could be there. I didn't find her to be unlikable. What I saw was a teenager who was, understandably, not adjusting to the new family dynamic at the same rate as the rest of them. And, on top of that, her birthday gift was a goofy helmet from her mom and a book on "how to smile more" from a guy who she saw as trying way too fucking hard to assert himself as "Replacement Dad."

I couldn't agree more!

• Like Like x 1
  6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel as though you missed the point and have completely missed the point of her character and who/what she is. Charlie's one of the best human protagonists for Transformers, ever. She's up there with Spike and Sparkplug. She's better than Cade and I thought he was awesome (still do).

Charlie's not unpleasant, she's grieving and her world is crumbling around her. Her stepdad, while meaning well, is an utter moron with no common sense, her brother is annoying in that little brother way and her mother isn't there enough to connect with her as she grieves. People forget that the kids are just as affected in a parental death, if not more so than the surviving parent/spouse.

The mom did the best she could (or so she thought) and remarried and is trying to make a go of it so she can cope, as well, and I don't fault her for that, but Charlie is seriously damaged goods. She's broken. There's nothing wrong with that, it's part of what makes her, and us, human. To fault her for that makes the audience the ones with the problem, not her. She was written honestly and with empathy and reality. It's sometimes ugly, sometimes beautiful, but that is the truth.

Sam? His biggest problem was that he had no girlfriend, couldn't afford a car and his douchey well to do parents dangled a car in front of his face like a carrot in front of a starving rabbit. He was an @$$hole and a smart mouth with no filter and while some respect that level of sassiness (myself included...to a point) it didn't really make him endearing. He was an absolute prick and even when he was not only tasked with saving the world and his new alien friends, he was a whiner about it. Yeah, he stepped up and finally did it but when the dust settled, he threw Bumblebee in the garage like he was a pet and an actual car instead of A LIVING BEING. Then he became an adrenaline junkie needing a fix and killed Dylan through some sort of self-righteous whatever you want to call it. He finally answered the call that Optimus was trying to get him to see all along, but he did it at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons.

Charlie? She jumped right in. Not only for selfish reasons (trying to focus on anything but her pain and trying to make herself whole again) but because she genuinely loved Bumblebee because he was a person and not some plaything she shoved in her garage for funsies. She knew it wasn't just about her and him but everyone and if he needed help to save the day, she was going to be there, come Hell or high water. She's the person we wish we could be. She's frail and human like the rest of us, but even in the face of her fear, had the courage to stand up and say "No more. Today is the day."

It took Sam three movies and some sort of PTSD to do that. It took Charlie the course of one 2-hour movie to do that. Bravery is finding the will to do something in the grip of fear and in the face of impossible odds and still actually doing what's required. Sam never had that until the end and for twisted reasons.

I could see your critique fitting Sam, to a T, but not Charlie. You absolutely missed everything about her and that's a shame.

As a stepdad, I'll give a bit of insight. While Ron is an absolute moron with no common sense, at times, his heart is in the right place. Movies don't always portray step parents correctly. Some like to write them like they're secret murderers with no heart, some like to write them as perfect angels and neither one is accurate or correct. When you date (and subsequently fall in love with) a woman or man who has children and you see they're an extension of the person you just fell in love with, you try and love them, too. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes, it's a mix of both. I raised my stepdaughter for the last 6 years, to me, I feel as though she's actually mine and no one else's, but to her, I'm the guy her mom married. It never used to be that way, it's just gotten worse as time has gone on because of outside sources. So I overcompensated both in giving her what she wants and correcting her because she can go to extremes. While I was never as dense as Ron is, I certainly see his reasoning for doing what he does and he's somehow hoping one day Charlie will love him, too. She'll never love him as much as she does her dad, and he knows this, but he'd at least like to hear someone call him dad, just once. It's an amazing feeling and unless you've been there, you can't put it into words.

He IS the replacement Dad, he was just trying to let her know he'll actually be there, he just doesn't know how to communicate with her. He wishes he could, believe me. They got the stepdad trying to do the right thing part right. They just made him a bit too dense and a bit too stupid at times. More for the comedic aspect, but still...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Spontificus

Spontificus Well-Known Member

Oof. This is not the impression that I meant to convey with my earlier post. There are some pretty off base assumptions you made about my opinion. I especially do not hate Charlie, far from it, but I can see how you got that from me not being very clear in my first post. So hopefully this post will clarify my thoughts a bit.

First, I have to make it clear that it was only my initial impression of Charlie that wasn't that good, and my final impression was completely different. By the time she had her heart to heart with Bumblebee in the scene where he was going through the home videos, of course I liked her and was fully on her side. Heck, the line about her not getting her chance to say a proper goodbye to her dad did get me to tear up.

Second, I did mean for the emphasis to be on "bit" when I said she initially appeared a bit unlikable. Of course the difference between the likability of Sam and Charlie is like night and day. Even off of my first impression, I never out and out hated her like Sam, I just thought she was pretty rough around the edges.

Third, a lot of my wrong initial impression was based off of the time-frame of events being not very clear until we see the swim meet video, which is why I thought it would be better if the introduction of that video was moved up in the movie. When I first saw the brother and he did not seem to have any lingering grief from Charlie's dad's passing and a pretty good relationship with the new husband I assumed that either the dad passed away while the brother was young enough to not have clear memories of him or that he was her half-brother from the new marriage, both of which put Charlie's dad's death around a decade in the past. So under this false assumption, I thought it was pretty unreasonable, even for a teenager, for Charlie to be mad at her mom for going on with her life after a tragedy that happened well into the past at that point. Also, she was pretty cold to the family pet in her opening scene, which I find problematic for a character whose major problem with her family is that they are not showing empathy when she barely shows it herself in the scenes before Bumblebee comes along. It wasn't until seeing the tape and seeing that her dad had only passed away within the past couple of years that I understood how reasonable Charlie's frustration with her family was.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

This post is amazing.

Also, RE: Stepdad: That's what I meant. I was speaking from Charlie's viewpoint; at that point, she was still nowhere near ready to accept him due to her grief, and by the end of the movie, she seems to have moved beyond that angst.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  10. Salacious monk

Salacious monk Member

Although the film was much better than the Bayformers. Some of the plots are still bizarre
    1. Optimus Prime told the autobots to retreat but he himself stayed and fought the decepticons? This is equivalent to "George Patton lets the US troops stay back. He himself fights the Nazis with his handgun". If Optimus gets killed, then the entire command structure will break down... No wonder the autobots keep losing battles.
    2. Bumblebee's plot armour was too thick. Blitzwing shot him several times but he was intact. Dropkick remembered to cut Cliffjumper into two pieces but just shot Bumblebee once?
    3. Bumblebee could be rescued with some electric gun?
    4. Shatter and Dropkick were killed so easily. Shatter by a ship and Dropkick by a chain???

• Like Like x 1
  11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. I agree, now. I hadn't thought of it that way before, though. That said, it also makes him look like a super warrior leader bad@$$.
    2. Well, Dropkick used an electronically aided blade (akin to Prime's swords) to hack Cliffjumper, while an explosive weapon was used to shoot Bumblebee. Both are weapons, but very different end effects.
    3. It was more like he was resuscitated. Like a set of paddles in an ER. I think they took that idea from Short Circuit 2. That's exactly what happened to Johnny 5.
    4. Well, to be fair, Dropkick was trying to transform at the same moment as the chain was getting pulled into his inner workings. I'd imagine that would happen to any bot in the same situation. And in Shatter's case... She took an entire SHIP to the head and upper torso. She was crushed. I'm pretty sure no Decepticon or Transformer could survive that. (Though to be fair, the entire film series is inconsistent, so I'm sure they'll undo it somehow or the fact itself.)

12. Salacious monk

Salacious monk Member

1. One problem with Bayformers is that Bay always tried to portray Optimus to be the mightiest warrior. Yes, commanders need to be brave but commanders also need to plan and design strategies. Megatron is charismatic not because he is the mightiest among Decepticons. It's because he can always come up with some strategies.
    3. I doubt that "Bumblebee could be rescued with electric guns" was a good idea. His core system was damaged and the memory was wiped out. In the G1 cartoons, injury of this kind will cause him to be taken back to the Ark and repaired by Wheeljack.
    4. In the Bay series and this Bumblebee, Decepticons were too fragile. Transformers are made of cybertronian alloy which is supposed to be much harder than any earthly alloy. Another thing that I'm not comfortable with is that Shatter was dodging the bullets from the helicopter. Shatter could transform into an F4 phantom. The firepower of an F4 phantom is much more powerful than any helicopter and the speed is much faster. Shatter should have been able to shoot down the helicopter easily.

13. DarkRed401

it would be cool if they attempted to explain the anatomy of transformers, it would be unique to bumblebee's universe but still. they could say transformers have quick regeneration, it would explain why massive chunks of bumblee wounds would disappear later on. transformers would have to be killed as quickly as possible or decapitated

14. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Average Geewunner.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Are you an idiot or something? Humans do NOT Transform. Also, if it’s called “Transformers” shouldn’t it be ABOUT TRANSFORMERS?

15. Cyberbot8460

Google+:
    YouTube:

16. DarkRed401

i mean he's not wrong, it feels like travis wanted to make a short film and then paramount was like hey what about the rest of the movie and travis was like oh yeah...

17. Cyberbot8460

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well, it does feel sorta rushed, but it’s still good. I would even call it great. They managed to pull it off.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2. Bumblebee's plot armour was too thick. Blitzwing shot him several times but he was intact. Dropkick remembered to cut Cliffjumper into two pieces but just shot Bumblebee once?

4. Shatter and Dropkick were killed so easily. Shatter by a ship and Dropkick by a chain???[/QUOTE]

Shatter seemed intact from the hits she took from Bee's blast and from the helicopter attack too though. It's less Bee having plot armour and more like inconsistent weaponry effects for the sake of action.

And Shatter was killed by the current, weight and strenght of a very heavy ship being carried by rushing breaking water. That's not "too easy", that's dying harder than most characters have died in this franchise.

• Like Like x 1