Bumblebee Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by StarscreamtheMovie, Dec 8, 2018.

1. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    The more I thought about the Bay movies post-Bumblebee, the more I realized they really aren’t Transformers movies in any way shape or form. Outside of some window dressing, names and a few of Optimus Primes design cues (and even then they gave him flames and lips because of reasons) and voice, there is basically nothing recognizable of the franchise. They abandon most of the look and mythology and what they do use is so distorted as to be basically unrecognizable.

You look at the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and how true they hold to the core of the characters in both looks and characterization (even when they modernize some things or make them more “realistic”) and it just makes the absolute dumpster fire of the Bayverse look even sadder. They might not bat 1.000, but they’ve managed to stay more true to their source material and make it relevant and engaging then basically anyone I can think of outside of The Lord of the Rings trilogy (ugh, how did the same people butcher the Hobbit so badly ~ i mean, i've actually read how/why it happened, but i still find it hard to believe)

It’s really a shame Bumblebee isn’t doing better financially with the fantastic reviews and word-of-mouth that it’s getting, but that is square on Paramount for dropping it right in the middle of Aquaman (which I thought would flop but also said NEVER bet against James Wan), Spider-Verse and Mary Poppins. It’s just a saturated market place of family/sci fi/comic book fare, and I feel like the marketing, while not a outright disaster, was fairly underwhelming.

Couple that with how badly The Last Knight poisoned the well (just like The Last Jedi did for Solo... these two scenarios are actually almost shockingly similar minus the behind the scenes drama Solo had) and it adds up to unfortunate (if not completely terrible) returns.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Bumblebee Movie for a million things done right and remedied, but the film is just lack of those "Money Shots" that Bay Movie used to deliver, like the 360 shots of Optimus transformation, Epic forest battle from ROTF, wingsuit flying stunts and many other scenes from DOTM, etc etc. In terms of cinematography, for me at least, sadly I cannot think of Bumblebee scenes I want to watch repeatedly, well maybe except the Cybertron skirmish, but even that was kind of flat, nothing we haven't seen before.

• Like Like x 4
  3. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    that is the one thing i'll always give Bay credit for. He can also make a simple shot of a car driving look just unbelievably good, and of course NO ONE blows $#!% up like Bay. ...But does it matter if we don't care about the characters?

The forest battle i'd argue was one of those "i can barely tell what is happing" between the shakes cam, quick cuts and 'shard of metal' designs, but those other ones you mentioned are money.

I did think the initial garage transformation was kind of the money shot of BB... the inversion of perspective from Charlie's POV to BBs was pretty slick. Oh, and Blitzwing's transformation. that was rad. Unfortunately both were pretty tired from their use in the promotional material by the time we got to the theatre.

• Like Like x 1
  4. darkspellmaster

darkspellmaster Well-Known Member

What article did that? Link if possible.

Just one major thing about those car scenes, let's not forget that he didnt take all the precautions that were necessary and it ended a young extra actresses life. At least in layer installments better on set precautions were happening but...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  5. primeisboss

primeisboss Bearing the Matrix of Leadership

I just saw the movie again for the first time since the preview showing way back on Dec. 8th, and enjoyed it even more than the first time I saw it. This is by far the best live action Transformers movie we have gotten to date. I love how the movie opened up with the war for cybertron and the classic G1 designs. That was by far my favorite scene. One of the things that stood out to me both times was how well we got to know the character of the decepticons. They actually had lines and proved to be a formidable opponent for Bee. It was also nice to have a movie that was more family oriented. The human cast was probably the best one out of all the TF movies. I hope that it inspires kids to get more into Transformers. The many little easter eggs to other things in the TF universe and the 80's were nice. Ending with bee turning into the 70's Camaro and joining the flat nose G1 prime truck was perfect. After seeing this twice I can't wait to get the Studio Series Shatter and Optimus to go with my VW Bee and Dropkick.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw an article written by someone who hated it because they thought the idea of transforming robots sounded silly to begin with. :rolleyes2 

• Like Like x 5
  7. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  8. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to kind of agree. We waited far too long for a movie like Bumblebee and what's worse is it's poised to be a reboot, but it clearly was a prequel at one time and it shows all the ugliness. At this point, knowing how TLK ends, if this had been a prequel, there's literally no point to this film existing. On top of that, it completely disconnects everything from what came before it, making it even more pointless.

He's right. Sadly.

The only thing we can hope for is that it's somewhat of a success and the next one continues the trend of a reboot leading to other good films, otherwise what you see is what you get and we had our chance and we blew it. Bay was fine in the first film, for the most part, but he went out of control with the other films and the writers didn't help.

Bumblebee might just be a case of too little, too late. Plus the release date was just a terrible idea.

10. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    Just back home from Bumblebee. THAT WAS SOOOO AWESOME :D  Finally a really good Transformers live action movie! They really cared this time, characters are recognizable, fight scenes are cool and you actually see what they are exactly doing. The face of the female, red Decepticon reminded me a bit of Bludgeon. This movie feels like a love letter and I really cared for Bumblebee and humans. Still a bit much focus in the humans, but muuuch better and if you pretend this were the first live action movie, it's actually fine.

I wish we would have gotten this instead of the 2007 movie and it's sequels.

Now I'm gonna pre-order the blu-ray :D 

• Like Like x 3
  11. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I really wish people would stop saying this - just because the robot designs took care to reference recognizable/iconic elements of the original characters does not mean that this is a GEEWUN movie.

Also, that's a LOT of speculation in regards to "tanking" the franchise. I mean, unless "Bayverse" can be considered an end-all-be-all franchise, which it is not - it is merely a portion of the Transformers franchise.

Did the Bayverse hurt the franchise? Maybe not financially, but in regards to its reputation, yes it did IMO - but this movie showed that the damage can be undone.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  12. Yohan PLMIXMB

Yohan PLMIXMB Not well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I didnt watch the movie in cinema, for me the whole movie was like 3,5 or 4/10
    because of the shatter dropkick and blitzwing designs
    the cool things for me there was the cybertron look a bit, the idea how shatter and dropkick was try to be the "good ones" to work with humans and find bbb

But why that low? Because its like prequel but its like reboot and how they wanted to make almost everything G1-ish than realistic, in comics they dont look like this,
    Shatter and Dropkick was in s7? Yes they seen the Cube? No, why? Weird
    Megatron was cut from movie because he could look g1-ish and didnt look a like his real form, They really need to decide its that prequel reboot or spin off ahghh

even if people will like it more than previous, I'll always think the movie should be really diffrent, Overrated for me

First trilogy was best even if people hate rotf.

13. Murasame

News Credits:
    Just came back from YouTube comments. That made me mad. Michael Bay really ruined Transformers because now people think this movie is not what transformers should be, when really it's the other way around.

I would really love to purge the memory of Bayformers from the collective consciousness.

• Like Like x 3
  14. NemesisPrime12

News Credits:
    Could you provide the link of the video? Because most people support the movie in review videos

15. Murasame

News Credits:
    Yes, but it was the German trailer, so I don't know if that helps. There were a handful of people correcting the others, but the majority seemed off put and the other half expected this movie to be a cash in and they same trash we got before. I had to leave. It would make me really sad if this mo ie does not get the reputation that it deserves.

I was so happy during the movie, there were scenes where I felt I could nearly shed a tear because everything was just so right and well done and the story and characters so compelling. Even the action scenes were better.

Many people were off put because this movie did not look like it would give the big explosions and fights of the Bayformers and that's what I always feared, that many people were just in it because of the effects and not because of Transformers :( 

I hope these people will give the movie a chance.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. NemesisPrime12

News Credits:
    Watch the other videos about the movie. The comments are full of praising and supports instead

17. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 potato quality is alive and well in 2019

News Credits:
    Caught a viewing of Bumblebee today as well. Impressions on the audience since I've already seen the movie
    • None of the other TF movie showings I attended were this filled even days/weeks after release. Audience was plentiful, want to say about 80% of the seats were filled
    • Different scatter of demographics, people of different ages all around
    • Strong audience reactions. Bunch of little kids, and even they were kept quiet by the movie itself. A kid clapped when Dropkick was ended lol
    • My dad knew next to nothing about the actual movie going in, and he seemed like he enjoyed it as well

• Like Like x 1
  18. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

YouTube comments are almost never productive. I wouldn't be too concerned about those.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Italiandangla14

Italiandangla14 Member

Couldnt have been happier with it. I mean actually I could have if they showed more battle footage from Cybertron.

Other then that, great movie for sure. I liked it better then the other movies that Bay had done.

20. Chainlink

Chainlink Glasses Girl

It's been several weeks since I saw this movie, and I'm still so torn about it. I don't think I've ever been more divided about a movie.
    I recognize it as a good movie. But I don't think it was necessarily a good Transformers movie. Especially when the title robot character is overshadowed by the human protagonist.
    Bee had no satisfying character development, and it being a Transformers film, I really didn't care about Charlie at all. I found myself bored during the scenes where Charlie and Bee hung out. The most interesting and entertaining parts were with Shatter and Dropkick, probably because they were actively doing something. They had a goal and were working toward it, and their interaction with the humans was entertaining. Bee... Had memory loss and was goofing off.
    I'd be fine with the focus on Charlie if it affected Bee in some meaningful capacity even after he regained his memories. But... Nothing happened. Once he got his memory back, he was essentially the same character from the beginning of the film, which left all that interaction with Charlie feeling empty.

Which leaves me in a weird position. As a movie, sure it was good. Characters were good. Story was simple, but that's alright. Action was fun when it happened. It had all the pieces. But viewed as a Transformers movie, I don't think it holds up. Not when the title character is as boring as he was.
    However, I do feel like this is a step in the right direction. If they can have more focus on the Transformers as characters, and keep everything this movie did right, we could have perfection. But as-is, I can't say Bumblebee is the Transformers film we've been waiting for. If anything, it's a taste of something great we could get in the future.

• Like Like x 1