Bumblebee Movie - Male Lead Announced

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Black Convoy, Jul 11, 2017.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, all those visible minorities are gonna look pre-tty silly once this whole "more than one race" fad blows over.

• Like Like x 4
  2. MetalStorm

MetalStorm Click Click Boom!

Hockey Enthusiast.

Knife Wielder.

Rebecca Black Fan.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gallade

Gallade Gacha Addict

News Credits:
    Wait.. you're joking about that last part right? RIGHT?! :jawdropper: 

4. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Sigh, and there goes what little interest I had for the film. I know some folks are saying wait and see, and they're not wrong, but this news(that we're getting into about the human characters before the robots or even it's title character)is already a big red flag for me. More than likely, it's gping to be a retread of the 2007 film. Why is it so hard for these films to be about the Transformers.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but after five films I've pretty much given up. But on the plus side I hope the actor does well, it's nice to see a bit of diversity in TF casting :) 

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  5. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Man, between a couple of the comments in this thread and the SDCC exclusive thread, it's really a bummer reading through these topics. For the life of me, I don't know why this stuff bothers people so much.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    I was hoping for a story centered around Bee and Hailee Steinfeld's character alone.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was hoping the entire movie will be about BB based on Cybertron being a Scout for Optimus and not having any humans in the movie. Oh well

8. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Yikes, this thread.

Don't know the guy so I dunno if he's a decent actor or not. We'll see.
    Also, why would anyone be surprised they're casting humans?

On the interracial relationship front, I'm Dutch, living in Japan, dating a Chinese girl, with whom I speak English and Japanese. Hooray for diversity!

• Like Like x 7
  9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Nothing wrong with diversity, even if it does usually only go in one direction.

We\'ll still never hear about Lincoln during black history month or a new white Fat Albert.
    I think blacks should include more Latino into their programs, because diversity.

Anywho I care less what color this kid is, that\'s irrevelant. Just hope he can act.

I do wish we had more black writers for black actors. Wierd seeing white writers trying to force ebonics.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Getting back on track, I hope the tighter focus on a smaller scale story in the Bee movie will bring a more intimate look at the characters and what makes them tick. Among Bay's sins was telling more than he was showing, when the opposite, "show, not tell" should be the standard. Too often the characters served as nothing more than blatant exposition. Anthony Hopkins' character was super guilty of this, when he kept babbling on about the history of the Transformers and whatnot, and how mentioned offhandedly that he and Bee had met before when he was a young boy (now that's a movie I want to see, rather than the mess that was TLK).

Steven Spielberg was right when he pitched the original Transformers live action movie and boiled it down to "a boy and his car". Sometimes simple is best, and getting back to basics probably is the best move for the live action franchise. Making this movie a prequel that's detached from the world-shattering events of the Bay films should help it somewhat.

That said, I really hope the main two human leads are as likable as Finn and Rey were together (taken by themselves alone, they weren't standout characters, but together...). And no romance, please. Though if they do go that route, then I guess they'll be trying to recapture the magic of the first TF movie with Sam, Mikaela, and Bee.

11. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I really hate humans in these movies no matter what race they are. I want fleshed out robot personalities with a plot. Let's see what this movie has to offer.

12. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    With Bay not directing, I have some faith the humans will be better characters. No mom getting "high" off pot or laminated statutory rape laws.

Edit: Damn autocorrect lol

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  13. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    That's not all on Bay though. There's also the "Writer's Room" that churns out the scripts. If that's mostly the same I still have my concerns.

That said, the presence of humans in a Transformers film isn't the worst thing. The problem is this particular series has done a poor job remembering who the movies are supposed to be about in exchange for making the robots background noise to an otherwise forgettable human drama.

The Power Rangers movie got it right. Sure, they weren't Rangers until the third act, but the film focused on the *main characters* so once the action started we actually new who they were, what was at stake, and cared about the outcome.

There's absolutely no reason why a Transformers film set on Earth couldn't still present the story from the bots perspective, and include humans only as side characters to help along *their* plot. Even G1 had that to some extent, when used in moderation.

14. Steelfire

Steelfire Well-Known Member

I don't usually call out typos, but this is some powerful imagery :p 

On Topic: A cute callback in the movie would be Bee making a fitness video History Lessons - Transformers Wiki

15. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I guess, in fairness, I should point out my major gripe with this movie.

The premise (kid's car turns out to be a robot, adventure ensues) was supposed to be the plot of the 2007 film, until Michael Bay got involved and blew everything up. Literally and figuratively.

Which is why this feels like an attempt to softly reboot the franchise. I wouldn't be shocked if after Bee Movie we hear some scuttlebutt that the 6th movie may be another prequel type story while Paramount buys time.

16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I'm sure much of the reason is due to cost...which I remember being a major reason for the first film limiting most of the robot scenes to the second and third acts of the film.

That said, I was hopeful after AoE that we were heading in the right direction. Almost every scene after the Cade introduction had a Transformer in it and the plot heavily revolved around Transformers being hunted or their reactions to a human-built Transformer or fighting said human-built Transformers. Perhaps they were able to cut down on the budget slightly by making some of them "morph"...but if that meant more Transformers being the focus of the story, I'd take it at this point. TLK was just a huge disappointing step backwards...one would think we still had a writers strike that was the excuse for the trash that was RotF.

17. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    Well to be fair to the writers, Bonaventura was the one who took their separate treatments and mash them together. The King Arthur plot and WW2 plot were suppose to be treatments for different movies and not TF5 originally. Plus, directors often change aspects of the script by cutting or adding scenes or allowing actors to ad lib. If I remember correctly, the final dialogue for Twins in ROTF was not in Orci and Kurtzman's script (not sure about Kruger). It was Bay who allowed Kenny and Wilson to improvised their dialogue.

18. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    Yeah that isn't what I meant at all. I meant....no romantic subplot....at all.........

19. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Oh jeez. What's the point of having a "writer's room" if you're not going to have them work *together*?

Change aspects is one thing, but even the best directors could struggle if given trash to start with.

One of the coolest things the MCU did was make Cap and Widow work buddies. It would've been so easy to try and force a romantic subplot when they are on the lamb together in Winter Soldier, but they went the other way.

Leading to one of my personal favorite MCU moments: Widow comforting a mourning Cap at Peggy's funeral. A tender moment between a man and a woman that doesn't have to be a romantic subplot. (Which is, in turn, why the angle between she and Banner came off really awkward in AoU)

• Like Like x 1
  20. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature gottagofast

It was a a joke