Bumblebee Movie Energon Igniters Speed Series Volkswagen Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Vertex, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Vertex

Vertex Herald of BD

News Credits:
    New movie (that trailer, eh?) and new look for old star that's like his old look when he was new, in those unsuspecting days they called 1984, and when I first read the word "Autobot" you can guess whose card it was written on.

He's rotated 180 degrees since then though, deciding to copy Optimus and Ironhide and have his headlights on his chest:

bee01.jpg

Rotate the package 180 degrees, and you will be faced with this:

bee02.jpg

It speaks with unforkèd tongue.

Let's let him out!

bee03.jpg

Warning colours and a face-sculpt that's possibly not quite as good as the Camaro one (not sure yet) but I still like it.
    Shame about the little paint dots on his forehead, will have a go at removing them later.
    He lacks door-wings, as a Geewunbee should.

bee04.jpg

He lacks proper backs to his legs too, but since he's an alien robot we can pretend that's just the way he's built.

bee05.jpg

Articulation is okay: shoulders are on ball-joints but while they can come inwards across his chest, they can't move outwards very far.
    Hips are ball-joints and knees are a hinge.
    Toes dip downwards but that's really for transformation. (Energon Igniters Core not included!)

bee06.jpg

This, of course, is probably the main selling point of this figure...

bee07.jpg

Transformation is fun, less fiddly than the Camaro version, and most importantly produces a rather lovely Volkswagen Beetle.
    With one wing-mirror on the left-hand side, just as it should be!

bee08.jpg

All the hues of a Herbie banana

bee09.jpg

Jet exhaust? He's not Thrust II, but...

bee10.jpg

He is an Energon Igniter!

bee11.jpg

I like the design of the Core, and it looks suitably Frankenmachineian as a trailer; somewhere Wheeljack is reaching for his pencil.
    Like his wave-mates, VW Bee rolls very well, and here we see why he needs to...

bee12.jpg

...he shifts! Sometimes further than others, but he zips enthusiastically along on a flat surface, the gimmick definitely achieving what it set out to do, and without compromising the toy's design either (unless you regard the 5mm hole as a compromise instead of a fun feature that can be used with 5mm posts attached to a myriad other TFnal things; I'd say it wins on points at least, but your mileage may vary).

bee13.jpg

He's a bit shorter than his new future self, which again I believe is movie design-appropriate.

bee14.jpg

CARE BARE BEE STARE, HIVE EYES LIE EVERYWHERE

bee15.jpg

Thanks to @scubaboy31 for pointing this out to me --- GERBEES!

bee16.jpg

Carbees.

bee17.jpg

Honeycombin' the streets, lookin' for the AllSpark.

bee18.jpg

Fresh from the Wasp Factory. Pomiss, Fwank? :eek: :( 

bee19.jpg

Which do you prefer?

bee20.jpg

And the cast so far (as my shelves can present them) takes a bow.

To conclude, this is a fun and inexpensive toy with an amusing gimmick that works well and my favourite of the new Legions (ahem, EISStobots) so far.

Pretty pleased I picked him up!

:) :) :) o_O ;) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i got this and optimus 2-fer-1 yesterday because they wouldn't ring up. bee is adorable, but holy shit is he tall, with short arms to boot. still adorable though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice review!
    This one is definitely on my short list. It looks like a real throwback to the quality Legion/Legends figures from the DotM line.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sunsetter

Sunsetter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know many here don't utilize the instruction sheet, but I'm at a loss for Bumblebee's first step. It implies his back piece (which makes up the front windshield and part of the hood of his VW mode) should be moved up to lay against the back of Bumblebee's head. Mine came with this piece already in position, and I can see how it should move, but i don't think it does. Thankfully, transformation to either mode isn't hindered by this, but it's weird that it's even there to begin with.

5. HunterRose

HunterRose Well-Known Member

Picked one up today in DTLA Target. He is cute!

6. Deathy G1

Deathy G1 Sharp N Squishy

News Credits:
    I’m pretty sure the piece was changed after the instructions were written. There is no way to move it now.

7. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    Is this the only Legends style VW movie B we're getting?

8. Deathy G1

Deathy G1 Sharp N Squishy

News Credits:
    As far as has been revealed, yes. Don’t let the compatibility with the Energon Igniter Core fool you though, these Speed Series toys are legit Legion class figures.

9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Earlier today I picked up both Bumblebees, Optimus, and Barricade. These are really good mini-toys. Very solid-feeling and sturdy. They also look great!

10. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Got this guy and Prime from Target today. Both are very solid little legends figures, very much the same as the smaller legends figures we’ve been getting for over a decade. As much as other lines change it’s kind of comforting to still be getting these consistently solid little figures.

As for the action feature I’d say it’s perfectly implemented because it’s totally unnoticeable and doesn’t compromise any other aspect of the figure. Nice work, Hasbro.

11. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bludgeonbee.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Avaran

Avaran Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, got me one of these, and since I'm unable to let strange things in the instructions that don't work well enough alone, I set out to try to get the back piece to move. It is actually designed to move, as I found out through some experimentation. The trick is to not put any stress on the weak parts, and push gently in one direction from this point with a screwdriver (on both sides of the piece one after the other), and push on the windshield/rooftop from the other side:

20181110_113516.jpg
    (ignore the scrapes from my earlier attempts before I found out the best place to push...:oops: )

You only need to push at the very bottom with a flat-head screwdriver, on both sides of the piece alternately. The piece is tapering to the bottom, and if you push/accidentally shave off a teeensy bit of plastic on the very bottom there, the piece will move. After the first attempt, mine now gently clicks into each position and holds it's position there.

Be careful when you push those first few times, and work your way with the screwdriver. You will almost certainly shave off some plastic from the bottom as you do this, but it seems molded a bit too long for it's intended function. As soon as it moved the first time, I stopped using the screwdriver and moved it back and forth a few times, and it seems to work as intended now.

20181110_115126.jpg

to:

20181110_115112.jpg

It gives him a better profile and proportions IMHO, and he looks nicer afterwards:

20181110_115053.jpg

It only took a few minutes to do this when I found the right approach, but be careful if you want to try it, don't pull on any delicate parts!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HunterRose

HunterRose Well-Known Member

Cool! Thank you!

15. Master Disaster

Master Disaster Well-Worn Member

News Credits:
    Anyone else's have an unpainted windscreen?