Bumblebee Movie Energon Igniters Power Plus Series Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Vertex, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Vertex

Vertex Herald of BD

News Credits:
    A new Transformers movie! With a very G1-looking Prime. Here's a very Evasion-looking Prime. Only Bayformers are G1 now, so that means he must be too, and therefore looks just like he did in the 80s, not AOE. Despite what we may think we knew....

He was 16 Queen's Noses from the Entertainer here in Blighty (which would once have been expensive for a Deluxe) and when I saw him on the shelf he looked a bit like this:

op01.jpg

And when turned around, rather like this:

op02.jpg

Terse but sufficiently informative.

Out he comes!

op03.jpg

See? Super NeoGeewun. At least he has a mouthplate!

op04.jpg

And heelspurs, which I keep forgetting to flip out.

op05.jpg

And an amusing hole...

op06.jpg

...allowing TechnoBackpack!

op08.jpg

His build is sturdy, although his thighs annoy me by having a tendency to fold flat when handled, since they don't clip into place for 'bot-mode at all.
    His arms swivel and go up and down at the elbow only, his legs can open outwards but can only swing forwards as a pair, and cannot swing backwards at all.
    (He can't operate his gimmick productively in this mode, alas.)
    That's the limits of his articulation, but he's a gimmick toy for small children, so does that mean it's justified?

Hahahahahahahaha.

However, it will serve, and I actually quite like him in this mode (perhaps because I am a fan of Optimus, G1, Bayformers, and Murderprime). Will this be enough to stop me from selling him shortly after writing this? Who can say...

op10.jpg

Being G1, he turns into a flat-nosed truck.

op11.jpg

The transformation is simple and enjoyable and the result is very solid and rolls well.

As paint wasn't invented in the 80s it has been mostly left off to increase realism.

op12.jpg

Long smokestacks though, so that's a plus.

op13.jpg

His hole proves to be amusing once again, just as anticipated.
    One of my collection goals is to eventually try every single 5mm post accessory on every single 5mm hole on every TF that has them, in my entire collection.
    The last time I've actually done this was when my entire collection was 13 PRID/FOC Deluxes...

op15.jpg

Still, it's a bit of extra fun!

op16.jpg

He can only hold the Energon Igniter (Blood Burner? Fuel Burner doesn't sound like Murderprime) Core in this orientation.

op17.jpg

That's not really the point of it though.

op19.jpg

He has an "extra" vehicle mode!

op20.jpg

And comes with (as you saw in-packet) an Energon Igniter Core, which is a small motor that functions as a pull-back or operates when the grey button on the top is pressed.

op21.jpg

It has an amusing 5mm hole too, which makes me think...

op22.jpg

...that you can daisychain these for extra power!

Which would definitely work when propelling the compatible Legion-class figures, as there's nothing stopping you attaching extra Cores at the back.

op23.jpg

Anyway, in it pops (well, actually you have to split the legs open and then do them up again with the Core in the right location, but once it's secured it holds position well and won't fall out).

op24.jpg

"Is, uh, is your Prime a goer, eh? Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?"

op25.jpg

Goes like anything, actually.
    Further and faster than when propelling the lighter Legions.
    I would call this gimmick a definite success, at least as far as functionality goes.
    Which isn't always a given, so it's pleasant when it's present!

op26.jpg

New lineup? :)  Scale matters! :D 

op27.jpg

"Autobots, Transform and roll the wrinkles in your face collections out!"

op28.jpg

Sized up.

op29.jpg

Compare and contrast.

op30.jpg

XIXAXA XOXAXA XUXAXA.

op32.jpg

I do like his face-sculpt, proper Geeaoewun.

So...what is this beast? A small, relatively expensive, gimmick toy with a gimmick that works well and is usable with other figures (I would be amused for at least several seconds by daisychaining several Energon Igniter Cores and using them to race VW Bee vs. Barricade) but which while solid, lacks articulation and is clearly based on Evasion Mode Optimus from three Movies ago.

Am not actually unhappy with him, as I was 1) curious, and 2) on my way home after my boss told me I was too sick to stay at work, so bought him before I ended up in bed with a temperature as I knew he'd entertain me until I got better. Which he did. And he looks nice with VW LegionBee. Who is fun.

Is he particularly good? No, but I like him. Probably not enough to keep him, despite my love of G1, Baybots, and Primes whether noble, evading, or psychotic. Maybe wait until you see him clearanced, then get one for your kids or nieces or nephews, have a go on him then? :) 

• Like Like x 2
  2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I saw this at Fenwick Brent X for... over £20 smackers. 16 quid though...? I reckon I'm in the market for some of that.

• Like Like x 1