Bumblebee Metascore & Tomatometer Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transf0, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    Up to 94%.

upload_2018-12-21_15-11-0.png

• Like Like x 4
  2. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Bumblebee
    Oof, just 6 point difference from 07 now.

3. MrUniqZ

MrUniqZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If this movie is a true soft reboot, I’m all for it. The only one I have affinity for was the very first one. The rest were a blurry mess.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Certified Fresh. But weren’t the experts on this board claiming that it would plummet severely after release? I should know Better than to trust the “experts” on this board.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Has likely offended u. Sorry!

Pan's Labrynth scored 99%. I welcome you to go watch that and explain how it earned a nearly flawless score on Rotten Tomatoes. Spoiler alert: I hope you enjoy graphic torture! :D 

That said, calling the BB movie better than ANY Bay movie... well, that's not difficult to do at all! :lol  By the 5th film, Bay had lowered the bar so low that it'd be virtually impossible to do WORSE. Only Bay, Paramount, and Hasbro could convince you that Bay was the best choice for the TF franchise, when anyone else who understood box office results and graphs could easily explain how badly Bay was running the franchise into the ground.

For Hasbro to claim the saving grace of "well, it sold merch! Hyuck!" is really sad. Any big budget, highly marketed phenomenon will sell merch, dumbass! :banghead:  The issue is how much MORE it would sell if it was actually enjoyable to watch! More than once, maybe? While sober? :lol 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Because, aside from it being a great movie, RT is not a percentage score, it's a percentage of people who liked it.
    99% percent does not mean the movie is a 9.9 out of 10, it means 99% of everyone who reviewed it thought it was good.

Bumblebee has a 94%, but is an average rating of 7 out of ten. You actually have to read the RT statistics, you can't just go by the percentage number.

• Like Like x 10
  7. JoshimusPrime93

JoshimusPrime93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we can make this movie finicially successful, that would be amazing becasue we would then have a possability of seeing an Optimus Prime spin off movie or a full on CGI Transformers movie set on Cybertron, which is what Travis Knight wants to see happen. But hearing Bumblebee get a 94% on RT gives me hope for future Transformers movies.

8. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Has likely offended u. Sorry!

Thanks for the explanation. My complaint still stands. :p 

Because to most people (myself, too?), RT is a score of consensus about how good or bad a movie is. And Pan's Labyrinth is a train wreck that deserves 50% at most. The idea that RT somehow aggregated an approval rating of 99% shows how flawed the rating system is for a movie that features graphic torture as a main plot point. The majority of movie watchers do not enjoy graphic violence.

The argument could be made that less people watched Pan's Labyrinth, and it therefore scored higher. Even so, it gives the movie a higher critical pedigree than it deserves and unfairly promotes it above better pictures. The system is flawed and unreliable.

Like you said, it requires a lot more reading/research than simply looking at the score.

Therefore, "94%" is quite meaningless in terms of how good (or terrible) the film actually is. It will, however, influence those who will not enjoy the movie into watching it. So higher box office. So it's important for the film industry to keep sending RT money in order to have a successful movie! :D  The dishonesty, manipulation, and greed just irritate me! :) 

9. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Feels good to have a transformers movie rated that high finally.
    Funny what a little more blatant artistic nuance, and more direct solo character focus can do for bond building.

But overall, really glad the brand has finally reached levels of other works that have been up there for a bit now.

Both of those are still likely. Though an animated full feature is a later rather than sooner.

10. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

Well it couldn't be worse then last knight, even 120 minutes of a blank testscreen would have done better. I'll still wait a week to decides if i want to spend any more money on anything related to transformers.

Hasbro made me quit the mainline due to poor quality and unavailability in Europe. Takara made me quit the japanese version and MP line as they are now the same garbage as hasbrol or seriously overpriced retrojunk. Bay made me quit the movieline at movie number 3. I was going so well on savings up till now...

11. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to be a negative nancy... but that 94% doesn’t mean much to me when most of the reviews give very average “I like this but not very much” B+ ratings. RT is not reliable as a metric for a film’s rating, just look at Metacritic and IMDB’s scores hovering around the very meh 7/10 mark to see why.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    People are quick to grab on to statistics and get easily manipulated by that as marketing propaganda. It's manipulation techniques. But that's essentially what marketing is sadly.
    Still nice to have one rated that high on RT though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

People throw a lot of crazy theories around here.

Remember when the Transformers movies were getting beat up by the critics and upset fans were saying stuff like "well critics don't like action movies they only like art house films". Then someone would point out all the action movies way up there on the old Tomato Meter.

We've also heard things like "critics hate robots", "critics hate the very concept of Transformers and will never give a Transformers movie a fair chance", and so many other excuses to blame the film critics rather than deal with they weren't very good movies even if you did find some entertainment in them.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Please I beg of you Hasbro with tears in my eyes do not mess with us and make sure this movie is the new gold standard of Transformers movies. Especially now that this movie is statistically significantly better than all the other Transformers movies

• Like Like x 3
  15. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

The "tomato meter" is just about irrelevant these days considering the obvious disconnect from the audience on.. "identity caricature" driven movies. But.. on a more level note it's funny you mention the 7/10 mark since, for all it's irrelevance the critic score on RT you need to look at is below.

Average Rating: 7.1/10
    Reviews Counted: 149
    Fresh: 140
    Rotten: 9

That's a better indicator, and also rides around the same line as the others

16. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Almost more than the others added together but not quite.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TommyHawk

TommyHawk Active Member

First hurdle cleared. Next is BO gross, seriously hoping it does well for its budget. At least future installments would have a better chance to continue to from this film onward, rather than returning to Bayformers setup.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Man I thought RotF was good; it had Jet Optimus and the fights were great. Oh well. 

19. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Never thought I’d see the day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just saw it and loved the movie. The low box office estimates right now are a damn shame.

• Like Like x 1