Bumblebee forearm fix!

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by jream, Dec 26, 2014.

1. jream

jream PRO DESIGN TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    sorry for the damage!

regarding the paint... it is tough to get dead nutz as specified in previous posts... and with color matching, its never going to be a perfect match. hope the expectation wasn't carbon copy of the takara because that's almost impossible. it's very close in my opinion but again, as it's a custom mix to try to color match, it'll never be 100%.

and regarding the edge, as they are 3d printed, it's the nature of the parts. any 3d printed part, shapeways part, STL part... there are gonna be imperfections in the surfaces from building. those edges are under a millimeter in size. to try to sand them smooth like the exposed surface would be extremely hard, high potential for snapping off since it is so tiny and ridiculously time consuming. here's a close up of the edge unpainted and the exposed surface.

[​IMG]

you can see the major difference in the exposed surface in that pic to the final you have from priming, sanding and painting. but that's what it takes to get it smooth like the final. the edges would take forever to get like that working under a magnifying glass. and thats if you didn't break them because everything is so tiny. not an excuse or blowing you off... but it was designed and made to be an inexpensive fix... that makes the gap look better. to totally sand and build the part and make it look injection molded from takara and match the paint 100%, it would be a waste of time as no one would want to pay what it would cost after hours of work on each piece!

so again, sorry for the damage, the fix is listed above if you want to try again.

2. porkchop123

porkchop123 Well-Known Member

Just received mine. Both have all the tabs completely broken off.

3. jream

News Credits:
    sorry, we've been discussing damage in shipping

fix is listed above and in 1st post...

4. porkchop123

porkchop123 Well-Known Member

Ok just read the first post. Email and photos sent. Thanks

5. jream

News Credits:
    Ok let's see these bastards at the PO F$&@) these up!!

[​IMG]

Double baggers... 2 layers of protection... Just like back in high school w the dirty girls!! oh how i miss those days! Hahahaha!!

Aaaaaanyway.... All new orders are shipping in the morning as well as the few repairs for the shipping damage. And thx to everyone w the couple bucks for the additional shipping on your previously placed orders! That was really cool of you guys!:bowdown: 

Again just to repeat to any anyone with damage from shipping... Fix info in the 1st post.

6. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

Anything not in a plain stamped envelope will be fine. They send stamped stuff through rollers that will crush things. Mine came broken, but I just glued them back together and everything is fine. For a cheap fix they are great and I am mostly pleased. If the edges were smoother, they would be perfect, but you addressed that already. Anyways, just thought I should say thank you.

7. HunterRose

HunterRose Well-Known Member

Got mine today, one of the tabs was broken, it was easy to glue.

This is my first 3D Printed accessory, and I'm pleased with it. They're not perfect of course, but I wasn't expecting that. Thanks Jream for making these available to the board. :D 

I'm looking forwards to my Insecticon accessories from Shapeways!

8. HunterRose

HunterRose Well-Known Member

Pic:

[​IMG]

9. jream

News Credits:
    yea that's what pisses me off when i spent time and investigated if this would be an issue and those bastards lied! oh well... its always gonna rub me wrong but i can't keep cryin over spilt milk! shipping things like above hopefully will cure any of the problems!

i wish the edges were easy to smooth like i did with the top... as you can see there's a night and day difference between the exposed face and the sides. the reason the top is smooth and even is because i use automotive high build primer, then wet sand each piece to try to get as flat as possible prior to painting. even with the top it is very time consuming trying to get the majority of the 3d printed deviation out and make it look smooth and even. last run i did took 2 sessions of priming and sanding to get them smooth. lots and lots o' time! but to try to primer those tiny ridges and then wet sand would be a nightmare and take forever to get right. and then you run the risk of breaking the tabs off w/ pressure from sanding. but again they wouldn't be as cheap! and we alllllllll LOVE cheap! lol

but i'm glad they fit your bill mostly! thx

yea 3d printed stuff is never perfect. its the nature of how its made. your models are converted to neutral files that triangulates all the surfaces. you then read that file into a program that layers or slices the model to the resolution your printer can handle. higher resolution, thinner / more layers... lower resolution, thicker / less layers. then it creates a tool path for the printer to lay down the same layers in the machine. so think of it as printing a block that is an inch (25.4 MM) thick... at high resolution you are at about .15 mm per layer. so to lay that down on the printer is about 160 layers to build up to the inch. so that's where the texture comes from on surfaces that are on the outside edges of builds. its the ridges of each layer. only way around avoiding them is to alter the orientation of your model on the print bed. so you choose best options for laying down your print to get the most desired effect. in this case the outer exposed area was most important so that's what lays down on the bed when printing to get the smoothest exterior surface. never will be perfect parts... there will always be imperfection from the nature of the beast... its just not possible w/ 3d prints. but with some finish work you can get pretty good... just not perfect! ;) 

anyway, machinery class is dismissed for today! thanks for watching! :dunce 

10. autotronprime

autotronprime I like to make cool things!

News Credits:
    Got my two sets today. Only one piece was crushed but it took all 3 tabs off of it. A little glue and it will be as good as new.

11. jream

News Credits:
    sorry dude!

if it doesn't work just shoot me an email and we'll get u fixed up! :thumb 

12. Donprezi

Donprezi Well-Known Member

Mine came today but both were busted pretty bad. I just sent a photo to your email. Sorry man, hope you could fix me up. Thanks!

13. jream

News Credits:
    Yup I replied and we'll get u squared away!:thumb 

14. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Anyone get the Sidewipe one yet, I care more about those. Just wondering if its going to be bashed by the PO too.

15. jream

News Credits:
    Sideswipes should be fine. So should invisible's. Those were mailed in bubble shipping packages due to being larger size. Several guys have gotten them and they are fine. It's only been some that were the bees only in the envelopes... But they are getting taken care of so no worries.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  16. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Got mine today, unharmed. I'm happy! Nice work!

17. jream

News Credits:
    Thx!:thumb 

Looks so much better with covers!

18. autotronprime

autotronprime I like to make cool things!

News Credits:
    Thanks jream!

Man the paint is a fricken perfect match in my opinion!!!!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. fdny71

fdny71 Well-Known Member

Just sent payment for 2. From the pics so far it looks like great work! Can't wait to have them!

20. jream

News Credits:

Looks sweet! :thumb 

Got it thx!

Just FYI new orders are being primed and wet sanded and painted this weekend so they should be ready to start shipping first of the week.