Bumblebee Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Sir Spookii

Sir Spookii Well-Known Member

He also doesnt seem to realize it came out what was reshot from the test screenings that differed from the final movie that got released that makes him look like he doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. Then he tried to explain the ending with some theory I’d expect a fan to come up with. Lorenzo literally said Optimus said something and in the actual movie he didn’t say it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't disagree with you that they should have gone one way for the other but I'd be curious to hear what you think constitutes proof that the producers hedging their bets was an objectively bad idea.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OneSimpleIdea

OneSimpleIdea Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why ya'll keep feeding the troll?

In all likelihood this will cross ~$405m globally this weekend. $500m is certainly not out of the realm of possibility (though a stretch goal for sure), and if you think this is a miss for Paramount, you have no clue how this industry works.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

How the box office of a movie get spun often has to do with expectations over just the basic numbers of how do the production and advertising budget compare to the box office run. So the world wide box office run of Justice League at $657 is considered a complete and total disaster because it didn't make Avengers style money.

Into the Spiderverse wasn't Disney/Pixar or a Despicable Me movie yet it did well at the box office. For Sony to make money in animation feels like a big deal because they aren't known for animated films with a big box office run.

Live action Disney is so hit and miss that Mary Poppins was always seen as a toss up. Sometimes Disney owns the box office with live action like they did with Beauty and Beast but other times projects totally fizzle out like A Wrinkle in Time.

Poor Bumblebee seems to get compared to Transformers when it was at the height of either it's domestic or international runs. Rather unfair to think that somehow Bumblebee could turn it all around in just one film. So even though Bumblebee was a huge success with critics and most thing seem to indicate that the box office run will shape up to be some level of success that isn't enough to change the narrative.

But then entertainment news seems to love the bigger than big hits or the bigger than big flops. When Star Wars makes bigger than big money it's a huge story or when Solo fails it's a huge story. Movies that had a nice little run don't get much reporting. Heck horror movies these days are like printing money when you compare the budgets to box office but they don't get reported on nearly as much as the latest superhero movie.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm done arguing with that guy. No sources and then revealing that he just wants more Bay movies, which, funnily enough, have actually proven that they don't get people into the theatres anymore. Hilarious.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Yeah he doesn't even seem to acknowledge it when someone DOES agree with him.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

Being a critical thinker is being a troll??? Alrighty then:rolleyes: :wtf: :lol :lol 

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Critical thinkers are happy to show their work, so to speak.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :bay 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bobby

Bobby Member

They are definently going to make more Transformers movies. They’re stupid if they don’t. It is a massively popular franchise which has done nearly $5 billion! One disastrous film which flopped cause of the budget shouldn’t destroy it... Things are looking up.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    On a disastrous film which flopped and nearly took down all of Paramount in the process is a little more significant than writing off a film that lost $100 million.

The only reason Bumblebee even happened is because of the sunk cost in the pre-production and Hasbro swooping in to make up the difference - because HuaHua Media pulled out their funding as a result of TLK's underperformance. And even then the film had to be absolutely retooled from what was originally planned as a direct prequel into something that's clearly a reboot.

• Like Like x 3
  12. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well how does the film compare to other Spider-Man movies? $300 million + isn't quite the number you would want for a movie like that considering it's usually around $700-$800 million.

13. TommyHawk

TommyHawk Active Member

I just realized Paramount's big budget projects have a Chinese production company involvement. MI6 had Alibaba, this one's Tencent.....they are really strapped for cash.

14. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    This is exactly what I've been saying. Transformers is one of the highest grossing movie series ever, and one of the highest grossing franchises ever. Hollywood isn't going to give it up. Obviously they need to course correct to avoid another TLK, but they're not going to just ignore the huge profits of 2007 - 2014. I'm not saying Transformers will never go away, but I think it would take repeated flops. Since Bumblebee isn't a flop, I'm sure they'll do at least one more.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Thats every studio these days. Financing from outside is pretty much as old as cinema, from wealthy investors, corporations, financial funds, the US military... But now, that money is getting scarcer and demanding larger returns, except for Chinese sources, especially Chinese media sources, who are looking to get in on the much wealthier global (read: American) film trade, and as studios want to get access to the Chinese market.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. Same like DC and Marvel properties. They will still making more no matter what the problem is

• Like Like x 1
  17. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly
    Justice league at least lost as much as tlk if not more (300+ budget 650 grosses only) but they bounced back to a billion with their next film. I’d argue DC was in just as bad a critical rut as tf...and without the usual transformers box office grosses too. If DC can do it transformers can bounce bsck

18. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah because if you're no sure about a film series' longevity, why make one movie that you are unsure about when you can make two!

Doing them back to back shows confidence.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the other side, it's because how big their fanbase is. No matter how bad the movie is, there are always people who love it, and they're not in the small number. Transformers is the same as DC and Marvel. They already have so much impact in toys and comics. These kind of franchises will still have audience no matter what happened. It's just a matter of how good can they bounce back in the next installment