1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

Bumblebee Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, Dec 18, 2018.

1. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Nooooot cool!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Setting aside that the current box office take is not indicative of what I would consider a 'flop' and that Paramount seems satisfied with the film's performance, what a flop would have meant is that this approach didn't work either, so they'd be in the same position if they wanted to continue the franchise: try a different approach.

Rough. Still has full showtimes by me, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly, and for the record, I actualy DO think Bee movie will be ultimately profitable at this point (people keep forgetting streaming deals and home media and stuff exist after all).

But at the end of the day, if you ask me if I trust Paramount's big wigs? Hardly. Specially now that they have a new leadership that wants to advertise itself, and specially now that we know they love to sugarcoat, twist and outright lie sometimes. Those guys care only about their own pockets, not the film franchises themselves.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Without a next Transformers movie in the works all Bumblebee really had to do was turn around public opinion. Going by the critical response, the positive articles written about the movie and the general positive buzz over the movie it seems likely Bumblebee was highly successful in showing that Transformers could be more than what we got with the Bay movies.

That Bumblebee is showing a profit even before it finishes out it's theatrical run is just icing on the cake. With kids liking the movie it's sure do well when it pops up on disk and as a profitable movie it can only help whatever deals Paramount makes for the streaming release.

Since it will be a while before we get another Transformers installment that gives Paramount time to figure out what they want to do next so who really knows when there are so many options open for them. What's really important here is that Bumblebee seems to have a left people wanting more Transformers instead of being like The Last Knight that made people feel like they were done with Transformers.

• Like Like x 10
  5. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...aaaaand i may have finally talked my wife into seeing it with me tonight, but she won't commit before she gets off work because she really wants to play assassin's creed...

• Like Like x 2
  6. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just stop your're making a fool out of yourself

• Like Like x 3
  7. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

It's Box Office Mojo and such that I trust. Paramount just saying, "Yep, that's right, it's in the black," is nice, but secondary.

8. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 4
  9. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting to see where you got your numbers and info that confirms that Bumblebee has flopped. Unless we see this, you sir, are a confirmed troll - and you've provided strong evidence of that, at least.

• Like Like x 6
  10. GrungeWerX

GrungeWerX Well-Known Member

The difference lies in 3 major factors: Budget, Marketing Costs and Domestic Take. Domestic Take can offset the other two factors providing it does well and that success extends to the global market. But TLK failed because people failed to pay attention to AOE's (and previous films) steadily decreasing domestic take, which is a high-indicator of IP viability.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GrungeWerX

He may be a troll, but you are out of your mind if you think The Last Jedi made over a billion dollars in profit. Where in God's name are you getting your numbers? The Last Jedi made $1.3 billion. The production budget alone was +$300 million, to say nothing about the marketing costs. The domestic take was $620 million and the studio only gets a fraction of profits from the international gross, which was $696 million in total. So...where are you getting over a billion in profit? Do you know how profit works in the movie industry?

Not trying to be an @$$, but if you want people to take you seriously, you have to get your figures even remotely close to reality. The real profit margin is closer to 400-500 million, depending on just how large the marketing costs were.

The Force Awakens, on the other hand, made a KILLING at the box office, with over $900 million on the domestic take alone.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I'm glad Bumblebee ended up being profitable! Honestly, this is sort of what I expected to happen. A slow start (because people are rightfully wary after the other films), but once word of mouth gets around, more and more people will start to see it. I think I made that prediction a long while back.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GrungeWerX

$350 million was my initial prediction, so I co-sign this. The domestic daily numbers have dropped, and even with a slight boost from the Chinese box office (and Japan), it may only land between 350-370 million, but at this point, I doubt it will break the $400 million dollar wall. In the end, it will be profitable, but here's the real ringer:

It will most likely finish behind The Last Knight on the domestic take, which continues the franchise's downward trend. This suggests one of two outcomes: Smaller-scale Transformers films or a complete reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

When taking into consideration licensing, merchandise, and dvd/Blu-ray sales TLJ indeed profited over a billion dollars. I’ll try and find the article and link it.

15. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...just got back from seeing bumblebee again, with my wife this time: she legitimately enjoyed it and the theatre is still full on weekend four!..i think a lot of folks who dismissed the franchise out of hand could have a change of heart if they see this one...

...also, it's nice to see that it holds up well to repeat viewings; it was a better film the second time through, but i still missed catching memo's gobots...

• Like Like x 2
  16. GrungeWerX

Okay, from that perspective, that's a little different. I thought you were discussing box office, not licensing and merchandising, which can go on for years. Still, that's comparing apples to oranges, and completely skews the argument; Disney is a merchandise engine and Star Wars is a successful merchandising franchise. They'll be selling The Last Jedi porgs after you and I both are dead. You can't use that as a method to factor in a film's success. That's not the metric by which film studios generally measure success and viability.

That said, in the interests of educating myself, I'm totally open to seeing any official sources you have; please no random articles written by copy/paste bloggers re-citing Paul Dergarabedian's extremely vague statements or other such non-quantitative sources lacking actual data.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  17. Rookbartley

Rookbartley Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Took me till the third time to see the Go Bots. This movie really lends itself well to repeat viewings. It’ll do great on streaming, blu ray and whatever network gets the rights for it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

Up watching Steins gate 0 ......... then going to see Bumblebee again later........ If people love science fiction...... you cant go wrong with the bumblebee movie and the two Steins Gate anime's.

box office mojo says almost 310 million........ probably still has a few weeks here in america... only 2nd weekend in china and still has Japan to open in. I think this movie will do somewhere close to 400 million .

Looking at aquaman's box office........... its so effing depressing that the world eats up sh*t movies with nothing more than stunning overload of visuals. the movie was nice to look at but it was on par with Transformers 3........ just depressing that a really good movie like Bumblebee only makes a third of what the craprocket underwater movie made.

19. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well... the DCEU also had to recover from Justice League massively underperforming. And besides Bumblebee is doing perfectly fine for what it is. What I can tell you is that maybe Travis Knight and/or the marketing was a bit too humble compared to the in your face marketing of Aquaman.

Humbleness has always been the greatest strengths of Travis Knight or Studio Laika

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is good news indeed, if what Paramount is true. That means we're getting at least the animated movie. But I think even though BB is profitable, they didn't earn a WHOLE lot of money, but just enough to move forward. So that in mind, they will use their time in planning on the next movie. Maybe in 2021 we will see what they have in store for us.