1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

Bumblebee Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, Dec 18, 2018.

1. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. hendrijr

I’ve been saying this. It’s going to make $100m in profit alone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Damn, I knew TLK was a bombed, but I didn't think it lost $100M. Good to see Bumblebee is a success though. I hope it's a sign that we'll see more movies like Bumblebee rather than TLK.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Sir Spookii

Sir Spookii Active Member

Wow, how high was the budget for TLK that it lost that much money?

5. Thebricklord

Thebricklord Well-Known Member

This pleases me. Hopefully this is the start of a new chapter for transformers movies.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Problem is the performance of TLK showed that the formula from before may no longer work. That's why they went in a different direction with this movie.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Your laser fire is merely making me STRONGER!

How anybody thinks TLK was just a stumble and not jumping off the Eiffel Tower in terms of how bad it hurt the franchise confuses me to this day. Going back to the old model is franchise suicide.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    $217 plus a lot in marketing the film.

• Like Like x 3
  9. hendrijr

Problem was the production was $217m and then they spent another $325m on advertising and then you had Whalberg’s first cut of the profits. Then you had tens of millions spent in preproduction on the various sequels and spinoffs that all got canned. Not to mention the film only did big numbers in China where they only pocketed about 30% of the gross.

• Like Like x 4
  10. MacFormer97

MacFormer97 Well-Known Member

I think that's where the difference lies. TLK had a massive marketing push. Bumblebee's was fairly light and grass-roots (reliant upon Christmas season WoM).

We're definitely getting another movie in this style: small budget and character-focused.

• Like Like x 7
  11. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Yessss.[/Beastwarsmegatron]

Even before @Music posted the updated numbers, BB was way beyond flop status.

If we want to talk flop...Annihilation, while a good movie, had a budget of $55 million and a box office return of $43.1 million. Now that's a flop.

Also @AutobotStrider, may I ask where you got your numbers from? You seem really confident on those marketing costs and how they correlate with the box office return thus far. Also, as others have stated, but it bears repeating...the old formula was definitely not working anymore.

• Like Like x 4
  12. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...i think part of what diminishes the notoriety of the last knight is that it was just the last in a long line of pretty poorly-crafted films, the final sputtering-out of a long fizzle in the public eye...

...the fact that its failure was drawn out so long, over four sequels, is unfortunate because it's permanently sullied the franchise' reputation in a lot of folks' minds, and they can't dissociate bumblebee from everything that came before in order to give it a fair shot...i'm still hearing, as recently as this week, from friends whose children love the toys but have absolutely no interest in seeing bumblebee because 'the movies are stupid and boring', and from peers with negligible interest in the film for the same reasons...

• Like Like x 1
  13. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Paramount execs are happy with how Bee is doing (I think someone posted an article that publicly confirmed this). It's good news for a franchise that honestly was in serious peril after TLK.

• Like Like x 3
  14. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

funny how some are holding out hope for a continuation movie after TLK...... Pretty much shows that indeed some are sadists and masochists ......... I'd rather sully my soul by wishing death on Bay than ever have him direct and have say over another TF movie....

Good thing for me and my soul.... there wont be a TF6 that picks up from TLK

PS. before you say anything... the sully my soul death wish was a joke......... I'd really just wish him into a 2 year coma where bay couldnt do the movie haha

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Another side effect of a 'successful' Bee movie may be Hasbro looking at the confidence Paramount has in the brand (that is, they're committed to making more movies), seeing a long term opportunity there, and investing more in toys as a result. If not wider product lines, then more support for them and maybe deeper funding for design and r&d. It also means likely more licensing contracts, which means more merch outside of toys and more visibility for the brand.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sir Spookii

I’m sure it’s already been asked but I’ll just ask again.

Since it seems like Bumblebee will be a financial success and the execs are happy with it, do you guys think it’ll end up going the reboot route now?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  17. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    From what I heard they were gauging reception to Bee and would go with whichever route was determined by their analysts/execs to be more financially viable. It would seem the path of a reboot is clear now.

• Like Like x 8
  18. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    As of now I only want more live-action movies.If it's not how I wanted to be I'll take it..I just want more.

19. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Do you think they'll be making an official statement regarding this?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sir Spookii

I think @SilverOptimus said that Hasbro will be at Toy Fair in February so we might hear something from them there.

To add on to what @transf0 said, if they’re gauging the reception then I would think they’re definitely going to go with the reboot route. I can go on twitter for like 5 minutes and find people saying they loved the movie and that they hope it’s the beginning of a reboot. It already seems like they were going to go the reboot route with all the reshoots.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 4